AV99's custom 600g Reef Savvy on site build-Lots of pictures

Tanggirl12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up Next 400 pounds of Premium XL Pukani Rock is on its way!

One of the changes I made was switching to premium Pukani uncured reef rock for my 600g dream tank. I really like the size and structure of Pukani rock and since it is uncured, I do not have to treat the rock for nuisance algae or pests either. My goal after curing the Pukani rock is to mix it with some of my mature, pest free Fiji rock from my grow-out system, which is filled with many types of sponges & beneficial bacteria as well.

Special thanks goes out to Brandon @ Premium Aquatics who cherry-picked some of the largest Pukani rock in stock for my project. 400 pounds total to be exact! More pictures of the rock to follow when it arrives.

I'm putting it in my new 300, even after acid washing it with muriatic acid there were still a good bit of phosphates in it. I love the rock, it's very lightweight.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you very much for the compliment and glad to share my journey with you as well.

Just WOW. Incredible journey so far

Yes, indeed. I can't wait to pack the new reef with corals too. My grow-out system is bursting at the seams. Thanks for fallowing along and welcome!

What an awesome thread!! Cant wait to see what that tank looks like packed full of corals!!

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad you are happy with your Pukani rock too! I absolutely love the extra large Pukani rock Brandon picked out for my project. :)

I'm putting it in my new 300, even after acid washing it with muriatic acid there were still a good bit of phosphates in it. I love the rock, it's very lightweight.

My plan is to treat all 400 pounds of dry rock using: 1) 100% recycled reef water from my grow-out system; 2) all rock will be stored in complete darkness for several months while cycling; 3) with weekly water changes and; 4) dosing with lanthanum chloride when necessary. When the cycle is complete, I will place the Pukani rock in my new display tank and 5) seed it with various types of sponges I have collected over the years from my existing pest-free Fiji rock and from other sources as well.

My goal is simple yet very time consuming ... to cycle amazing rock that does not leach phosphates with no hitchhikers or pests and covered in beneficial bacteria and sponges, when complete. The process has started and I attached a few pictures of the various sponges I plan to seed the new rock with as well. Best of luck with your cycle too!

Last edited:

Tanggirl12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you are happy with your Pukani rock too! I absolutely love the extra large Pukani rock Brandon picked out for my project. :)

My plan is to treat all 400 pounds of dry rock using: 1) 100% recycled reef water from my grow-out system; 2) all rock will be stored in complete darkness for several months while cycling; 3) with weekly water changes and; 4) dosing with lanthanum chloride when necessary. When the cycle is complete, I will place the Pukani rock in my new display tank and 5) seed it with various types of sponges I have collected over the years from my existing pest-free Fiji rock and from other sources as well.

My goal is simple yet very time consuming ... to cycle amazing rock that does not leach phosphates with no hitchhikers or pests and covered in beneficial bacteria and sponges, when complete. The process has started and I attached a few pictures of the various sponges I plan to seed the new rock with as well. Best of luck with your cycle too!

I'm down from .5 to .1 already on the phosphates, nitrates 5, dosing lanthanum. I use Thrive, it's a lot cheaper than the RX, sea clear sold at pool stores is even cheaper but I prefer made for reef products after getting burned.

Great looking sponge.

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome. Is your rock still at .1 for phosphates after dosing lanthanum or is the rock still leaching phosphates? I have not dosed or tested my rock yet, just doing regular water changes for now.
I'm down from .5 to .1 already on the phosphates, nitrates 5, dosing lanthanum. I use Thrive, it's a lot cheaper than the RX, sea clear sold at pool stores is even cheaper but I prefer made for reef products after getting burned.

Great looking sponge.

Tanggirl12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Is your rock still at .1 for phosphates after dosing lanthanum or is the rock still leaching phosphates? I have not dosed or tested my rock yet, just doing regular water changes for now.
My rock is still leaching, .075 before and after last dose, still had some ammonia too, added some Fritz turbo and it was zero next morning, added 4 fish and another bottle of the turbo yesterday, still no ammonia today. That stuff is amazing, everyone looks great. Going to sit with that for 2 weeks then move everything over from old system. HC gfo and water changes are the plan. Looking at building a chaeto reactor.

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Cool idea! Never thought of seeding with sponges before. I may have to do that on my next build.
The fish arrived alive and well on Saturday morning. The Phantom Clownfish are jaw dropping gorgeous to see in person. The Domino Clownfish are stunning as well. Thanks again @Coral Reef TN

Good-looking clowns!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.3%
Back