AV99's custom 600g Reef Savvy on site build-Lots of pictures

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m fairly new to reefing and even newer to R2R. I saw this thread and went through the entire thread. Beautiful Tank and build. Glad I saw this and get to follow along. Makes me realize just how much patience I need in my new build. Thanks for taking the time to share this with everybody.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m fairly new to reefing and even newer to R2R. I saw this thread and went through the entire thread. Beautiful Tank and build. Glad I saw this and get to follow along. Makes me realize just how much patience I need in my new build. Thanks for taking the time to share this with everybody.

Welcome to the world of madness where you won't think twice before dropping a grand on brown sticks that won't move !!

But please don't encourage Tim with his slow build :mad:!! We are thirsty for months to see water in that tank

Kidding - threads like this is how we learn from masters at their work !!

Regards,
Abhishek

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the world of madness where you won't think twice before dropping a grand on brown sticks that won't move !!

But please don't encourage Tim with his slow build :mad:!! We are thirsty for months to see water in that tank

Regards,
Abhishek

I bought my 90 about 3 weeks ago and felt bad because it’s going to be at least 2 or 3 months before it’s running. I don’t feel so bad now lol.

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef and thank you for the nice compliment! It is my pleasure sharing my journey with you too.

So I’m fairy new to reefing and even newer to R2R. I saw this thread and went through the entire thread. Beautiful Tank and build. Glad I saw this and get to follow along. Makes me realize just how much patience I need in my new build. Thanks for taking the time to share this with everybody.

Most SPS sticks I receive arrive not as colorful due to shipping stress but after you sprinkle a little fairly dust on them, they color up pretty quickly, especially if the frags where tank raised and not fresh cut from wild colonies. Those wild colony frags take much longer to acclimate to captivity.

Regards,
Abhishek

Take your time with building your piece of the ocean. Most of the delays with my project were beyond my control but as soon as the Pukani rock is completely cycled, the 600g will finally get wet.

I bought my 90 about 3 weeks ago and felt bad because it’s going to be at least 2 or 3 months before it’s running. I don’t feel so bad now lol.

I am a big fan of Matt V sticks! My collection includes the following: Matt V Optimus Prime (extremely rare!); Matt V Orange Envy and Matt V Rainbow Envy (new arrival). The Matt V Psycho Asylum will be on the way soon too! ;)

That's a pretty big frag of the Matt V rainbow envy. You mostly see small nubs for sale for like $500.

Not yet, Justin. Using crappy iPhone 5S pictures for the last update on new arrival frags. I know I need to update my smart phone too. Still researching new camera and zoom lens options.
U get ur camera fixed yet?
I wanna see your frag garage again

Last edited:

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, glad I am slow at work, just finished 35 pages, what a journey. I am glad you are attending LEAR swap, My tank is mostly LPS and zoas but I might get a frag from you just so I can meet you and congratulate you in person :)

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My friend Brandon, from Premium Aquatics, cherry picked over 400 pounds of XL sized Pukani rock for my build. All the details and pictures of the rock can be found on page 27 on this thread as well. :) @premiumaquatics

What Pukani rock did you end up going with? Is the the BRS?

k3unnamedzpsqjgdckrg.jpeg

k6unnamedzpshej9c1mz.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for the awesome compliment and look forward to meeting you at LEAR!

Wow, glad I am slow at work, just finished 35 pages, what a journey. I am glad you are attending LEAR swap, My tank is mostly LPS and zoas but I might get a frag from you just so I can meet you and congratulate you in person :)

Zack33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an awesome build! It will be amazing when complete! What is your new estimate for rock and water into the tank? It seems like 6-8 months of cycling should have been plenty of time for the rock, what level are you considered cycled? How much ammonia are you hoping it can consume in a day?

Balz3352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This build is awesome. No other words for it. I definitely envy your collection and would love just about every single piece. Your patience is legendary. Everything is top notch. Looking forward to more updates!

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend Brandon, pictured below, from Premium Aquatics cherry picked over 400 pounds of XL sized Pukani rock for my build. All the details and pictures of the rock can be found on page 27 on this thread as well. :) @premiumaquatics

k3unnamedzpsqjgdckrg.jpeg

k6unnamedzpshej9c1mz.jpeg
Did you end up dosing lanthanum chloride directly to your curing tubs or did you use a 5-10 micron sock? I think I'll be doing the same with some older rock :)

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the amazing compliment! I am 9 months in for cycling and phosphates are not leaching as much. Since this rock will be the foundation of a large SPS garden, I am taking my time but should be ready to start moving the rock over the 600g display soon.

This is an awesome build! It will be amazing when complete! What is your new estimate for rock and water into the tank? It seems like 6-8 months of cycling should have been plenty of time for the rock, what level are you considered cycled? How much ammonia are you hoping it can consume in a day?

Getting close with the rock, but it still may take some time before the 600g will be able to grow of SPS corals. I have some fast growing montipora corals I plan to use as test corals to see if the large system can handle it as well.
Alright! Getting close:)

Thank you and stay tuned for more updates. My 600g dream tank will not stay empty for much longer.

Great photos, but anything of the full tank?

I perform 25 gallon water changes on a weekly basis for my grow-out system. I plan to do small weekly water changes for the larger 600g display as well (45 to 60 gallons wkly). It will be manual changes as I like to vacuum the detritus from the sump first where it collects the most.

Not sure if I missed it somewhere, but how do you plan on performing water changes? Percent of water change, and how often? Will you be doing it manually? Thanks

echopiece

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious why you didn't have Felix install an ABS liner on your tank? Are you planning on BB or a sandbed? When I picked up my tank from RS, Felix demonstrated the strength of his phantom bottom design by repeated blows with a hammer - which had absolutely no effect at all. :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back