Back in the Hobby

bratfink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I just got back into the hobby after a 10 year break.
I was a previous member of Indmas and had a 55gal reef. I broke that down in 2014 to move to Michigan.
I had intended to get back in earlier, but we moved house a couple of times and had 3 kids.
I had a 90gal SCA cube I bought that I had intended to setup, I stored that for 5 years before finding out the silicone had separated at the top of one of the panes. So that’s a total loss unless someone here makes top braces for them…
A friend gave me 13.5gal Fluval nano, so I set that up to get going, whilst I figure out another big tank.
Just finished cycle. Did a fish in with added bacteria. Took 2 weeks and the levels look great. Just started adding some CUC.
As the cycle finished I got my old ReefKeeper Lite out and set it up as a controller. I couldn’t believe it, but it worked perfectly out the box, including the 10year old probes.
And that’s where I’m at.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

OP
OP
bratfink

bratfink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! That's pretty impressive that the probes are still working.
I couldn’t believe it either. When I packed them I did put them in the soak bulbs, and they were still wet when I unpacked them 10 years later. I’ve bought other used probes that came to me dry that didn’t work, I wonder if that was the difference.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I just got back into the hobby after a 10 year break.
I was a previous member of Indmas and had a 55gal reef. I broke that down in 2014 to move to Michigan.
I had intended to get back in earlier, but we moved house a couple of times and had 3 kids.
I had a 90gal SCA cube I bought that I had intended to setup, I stored that for 5 years before finding out the silicone had separated at the top of one of the panes. So that’s a total loss unless someone here makes top braces for them…
A friend gave me 13.5gal Fluval nano, so I set that up to get going, whilst I figure out another big tank.
Just finished cycle. Did a fish in with added bacteria. Took 2 weeks and the levels look great. Just started adding some CUC.
As the cycle finished I got my old ReefKeeper Lite out and set it up as a controller. I couldn’t believe it, but it worked perfectly out the box, including the 10year old probes.
And that’s where I’m at.

Welcome! Glad you joined. Since this isn't your first time around, you likely know that CUC likely needs feed since right after cycle finishes there isn't much 'clean up' yet needed/to be eaten.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread under Forum > Member Aquariums and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in Belleview:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

OP
OP
bratfink

bratfink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fish Think Pink thanks for the advice, build thread added to account.

Do you happen to know which club covers SE Michigan? It wasn’t obvious from the list. I see my old club Indmas in the list, but I’m not a member there anymore.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back