Balling Method Question

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a doser and am getting ready to start dozing for the first time. I have had my tank for about a year 3 months and am starting to add Acropora and more finicky SPS and want to maintain parameters more consistently. I am planning on running aquaforest components 1+2+3+ (their balling formulation) but have a question. I know you are suppose to dose each part equal, but my Mag always runs high at 1480-1520 roughly. So can I run the Ca (1+) and KH (2+) without the Mag (3+)? The Mag solution also has boron and potassium so I’m assuming it helps with ionic balance but I am not sure how crucial that is? I also use aquaforest salt which runs historically high in Mg so I’m not overall surprised.

I have had great luck with aquaforest products so far, and my LFS uses AF products in all their display and frag tanks so if you are wondering why I’m thinking of using that instead of something else that’s why. Thanks for the help!

Timrpn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you keep or going to keep your parameters at?

I think also your supposed to dose all 3 equally using the 1,2,3. Based on Alk usage.

OP
OP
Zach W

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I’ve got my Alk at 7.5-8 (Hanna) and my Cal ranges between 400-440 (Aquaforest). I am targeting 7.8 for alk and 420 for Cal. I know the instructions say to dose all equal but with elevated Mg already I feel like it would just get extremely high by dosing it. I am trying to figure out if there would be a negative to only dosing part 1 and 2.

Ebslinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used aquaforest, but have been playing around with Tropic Marin lately. From what I can tell they are both claiming to be "balling method".

Tropic Marin's third part seems like it makes more sense to me. But, that is just my opinion and I haven't tried aquaforest, so take it for what it's worth.

Ebslinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, if your Mg is high, don't does as much. That said, I might increase my water change schedule to try and get every thing back in balance.

OP
OP
Zach W

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the issue I’m running into is that the AF salt mixes high in Mag and that’s why my system is running high. I usually do about 20% weekly or so (20gal tank). So I don’t think increasing frequency of changes will bring down the Mag

Ebslinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can tell Tropic Marin has a lot more minerals in it's part c than aquaforest has in it's part 3. However, I struggle to find exact quantities in the documentation.

Mg serves an important role in ionic balance, but if it is mixing higher than you want it to... why are you using it?

Ebslinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair, from what a quick internet search told me, Agua Forest normally mixes up at Mg – 1300-1380 mg/l

OP
OP
Zach W

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can tell Tropic Marin has a lot more minerals in it's part c than aquaforest has in it's part 3. However, I struggle to find exact quantities in the documentation.

Mg serves an important role in ionic balance, but if it is mixing higher than you want it to... why are you using it?

I’m not, right now I’m relying on weekly water changes. I am going to be dosing to keep my Alk and Calcium stable throughout the week. Balling Method saying to dose all parts equally but with my tank already being high in Mag, I am trying to figure out if I can just dose part 1&2 and not 3.

OP
OP
Zach W

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair, from what a quick internet search told me, Agua Forest normally mixes up at Mg – 1300-1380 mg/l
If you dig into it you’ll see many people indicate it mixes high around the 1500 mark I mentioned. It doesn’t have any adverse affects, just don’t think I need to be dosing it if not necessary in balling method

Timrpn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from AF

53AE2072-DE84-42F9-80F9-9EDA7477FABC.png

Ebslinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thousands of wonderful reef tanks only use a 2 part solution of Calcium Chloride and Soda Ash. If they can do it, so can you.

That said, would the coral like the other parts probably provided by a complete balling method or a calcium reactor, probably yes. Are you going to ruin your tank only using 2 part, I doubt it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 40 52.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.2%
Back