Bamboo Shark Egg Hatching Progression

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I would like to document my shark egg hatching experience as well as open it up to suggestions.

The tank that I plan to keep it in is a 110 gallon stock tank. Although that may seem too small for a 30+ inch shark, the actual dimensions are around 5' x 2.5', which should be perfect for this size shark. If, however, it outgrows the stock tank, it will be moved to a larger 300 gallon stock tank. The tank is located in my outdoor greenhouse and you can check out this link to learn more about my setup: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sdreefers-coral-greenhouse-project.325189/

I acclimated the egg using the drip method for around an hour and a half. I decided to use a fish breeder box to keep it safe until it hatches. Before I placed the egg into the breeder box, I lit it with a flashlight to see the baby shark inside.

Shark Egg Day 1 Picture3.jpg

Shark Egg Day 1 Picture2.jpg

Shark Egg Day 1 Picture1.jpg

If anyone has experience keeping sharks, hatching shark eggs, or getting newborns to feed, any help would be appreciated. Otherwise, I plan to update this thread at least once every week to document what's happening.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SDReefer

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some questions I currently have are:
  • Judging by the size of the egg yolk, how long until it hatches?
  • What foods should I start feeding it when it hatches?
  • What is the best way to get it eating prepared foods (pellets, freeze-dried krill, freeze-dried shrimp)?
  • What parameters should I be more cautious about?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You still have at least a couple of weeks based on the yolk sac. It will use up all of the sack and the body of the shark will take up all the space.

Piscine mysis is usually a good first food.

I haven't had much success getting them to take dry food.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hatching a shark was one of the coolest things me and my wife have done. Watching it grow in the egg, very neat experience. When ours hatched we made a slurry of PE mysis, oyster feast and squid. We had to use a syringe the first 2 weeks and hand feed it then it started taking squid on its own like eating noodles. We typically fed fresh frozen large chunky foods from LRS or fresh seafood from a wholesaler.

2tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hatched the very same shark before. Mine started eating live ghosts shrimp from the get go. It was lots of fun to drop them in the tank and watch it hunt them down. It loved them. I purchased the at my local Walmart. But any LFS should have them.

Back