Beginner need some help and tips

mfbs1998

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there :)

So I am a couple of months going into reefkeeping and I have been loving it so far. So far, I only have frogspawn and some zoas in my 20 gallon right now. When I started the tank, I also had xenia in it when I first started to put some corals in it. My first Xenia died overnight and I thought it was because the frogspawn attacked it and killed it. My frogspawn and zoas were also looking iffy at the time but they are now doing better. I was able to get a replacement but the xenia died within two days of being in the tank. I remember putting it as far away as possible this time from the frogspawn and I put it mid-high of the tank with some moderate flow. So I was wondering what could have caused it(my last thread also talks about my xenia problem and the parameters of the tank at that time-http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/coral-reef-problem.272426/) and if it is safe enough to put another xenia in. Also, is there other corals that should be easy to keep?

I also have a pair of clownfish and a yellow watchman goby. They are doing fine and everything is fine. But a few months ago, I bought a pistol shrimp in order for it to partner up with the goby. They did pair up but I noticed that after a few days, something seems wrong. As I was doing a water change, I picked up the rock that they were hiding in and I couldn't find the shrimp. I was wondering if the goby had eaten him or if something else killed him. Could the clown fish have killed him? Is it safe for me to buy another one? Also, I was wondering if I can put some more fish in the tank. I'm thinking 1-2 fish but I don't know which one would be compatible. Am I able to put 2 cardinals in the tank? What about a wrasse? If so, which type?

Parameters at the moment:
Ammonia=0
nitrite=0
nitrate= between 0 and 5pmm
pH=8.4

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there my friend, welcome to a great site and forum.
You had already some ups and downs I read.
Can I ask you how often you change your water?
And if you do, do you mix your own or from the LFS (local fish store)?
Some of your test results are looking good except your PH.
Can you tell me what your ALK is sitting at?
Show us a FTS (Full Tank Shot).

OP
OP
M

mfbs1998

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually do about 15%-25% weekly water change. I was doing 25%-50% a few weeks ago due to high nitrate and an ammonia spike but I got that under control now so I'm taking it a little bit easy right now.

I usually mix my own water a day before I do a water change using instant ocean reef crystals

what is the optimal pH? I thought the perfect pH was between 8.1-8.5.

Ill get back on the alkalinity test and a full tank shot tomorrow afternoon. I have been studying for an economic test and a calculus test for a few hours so I would like to get some rest.( wish me luck!)

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luck all to you and will do a prayer for your test tomorrow.
My son is going through the same as we speak.

The right # for PH is a big topic, many will say don't chase your PH as much as the other # in your tank.
I've always find that anything higher than 8.3 is to high.
My tanks PH hoovers between 8.05 and 8.15 during a 24 hr cycle.

OP
OP
M

mfbs1998

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the late reply

Alkalinity is hovering around 3-3.5

Quick shot of my tank is here. I haven't really had the time to fix the coral plugs and the zoas have some algae growing on them but I am trying to take care of that

1479265951855.jpg

teamlounge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3.5alk? Something not right there...especially with the amount of water you are changing. Alk should be hovering around 8. What's you calcium and Mag at?

OP
OP
M

mfbs1998

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad. My alk is at around 8. I read the readings wrong

My calcium is at around 450 and 1345 ppm for mag

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back