Best food for toadstool leathers?

Discussion in 'Soft Coral Discussion' started by CenlaReefer, Sep 13, 2018.

1. CenlaReefer

CenlaReefer Active Member Louisiana Reef Club

I LOVE toadstool leathers (sarcophytons) and have a 20 gallon softie-only DT that has about 7 different sarcophytons. The tank has 3 fish which I feed daily with a generous amount of some thawed San Francisco Bay Brand Emerald Entree. The corals seem to do well yet are not growing as fast as I would like. What is the best food for these corals in everyone’s opinion? I am guessing some sort of liquid like Kent PhytoPlex. I heard there are some more concentrated liquid foods out there. I would like to get the absolute best food for these corals.

GoPitt88 likes this.

2. Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer Older than dirt! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

I have never tried to feed leathers and IMO is completely unnecessary.. they get the bulk of what they need to grow from your lighting and will pick up some nutrients when your feeding other critters in your tank.

3. cjd

cjd Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I am a fan of them too. Really are a set it and forget it coral . The nutrients in the water from feeding the 3 fish would defiantly suffice , but as for coral food I like oyster feast .

4. GoPitt88

GoPitt88 Pitt Basketball is BACK! R2R Supporter Hospitality Award

I've never fed mine, and he's doing Great!
    [​IMG]

5. squareriggersailor

squareriggersailor Well-Known Member

Sunshine!

6. Sea MunnKey

Sea MunnKey Valuable Member

Never feed & as long as there's strong & sufficient lights available, it'll grow

Flippers4pups likes this.
  7. PDR

PDR <°)))>{ R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 SCAA Member Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

While not necessary, I have read that they do benefit from phyto.

8. CenlaReefer

Beautiful!

GoPitt88 likes this.
  9. Flippers4pups

Flippers4pups Fins up since 1993 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Hope, no additional feeding needed. Just as others have said, just light and nutrients in the water collum.

DSC_0036.JPG

GoPitt88, dragon99 and aurora.k like this.
  10. CenlaReefer

Thanks for the advice! I have been wondering if I need to change my light spectrum. I will post my AI Prime setting later after work. Natural sunlight for one of these tanks has been an interesting prospect.

I have been reading a very interesting article from Advanced Aquarist. Perhaps this may explain my problem. Here is the URL and the quotation below.

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/3/corals

“I have a 125 gallon reef aquarium that is dominated by soft corals, and there's a lot of diversity at that. I've placed four different toadstools in the aquarium, but only one has grown well, while the others have grown little or none. . . . While it looks perfectly fine, this specimen is a cutting from a much larger one, which was growing very well under similar lighting, but in an aquarium with only a few other soft corals in it. When the cutting was made it quickly increased in size, but after being moved into my aquarium, it just stopped growing. It hasn't had any problems that I know of, but it hasn't grown even an inch in over two years. Likewise, two of the other smaller cuttings from other types of toadstools that haven't grown very much, despite the fact that ALL other types of soft coral in the aquarium have been growing well - including a fourth toadstool cutting from yet another very different-looking specimen. It has grown as expected. So, that's why I'm under the impression that there's some form of chemical warfare going on in the aquarium, which shouldn't be a surprise, really. Water changes and the use of fresh activated carbon and a big skimmer haven't had any affect that I could see, so I guess I'm just stuck with a few small toadstools and one bigger one.”

11. CenlaReefer

Wow! Does that one look pink under almost any lighting? I have been looking for a true pink one for years. Let me know if you plan to sell any frags of it.

12. Flippers4pups

Flippers4pups Fins up since 1993 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Yes it's a pink one. I don't currently plan on fragging it, though at some point it will need to be.

13. CenlaReefer

Her is my AI Prime lighting spectrum and schedule:

1C7E2F8A-26B6-47D7-B4B1-11BA6033CD54.png

14. dragon99

dragon99 Valuable Member Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

;Jawdrop

I'm an acro guy, but that's beautiful. Like ball of cotton candy.

CenlaReefer likes this.
  15. CenlaReefer

Let me know who is selling those. An online vendor?

16. Flippers4pups

Got it local about 10 years ago.

17. sfin52

sfin52 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I'm jealous. That's the next one I'll be searching for. That's amazing piece .

CenlaReefer and jdpeters like this.
  18. CenlaReefer

Please, keep me in mind if it ever sheds a baby or you decide to frag it. I will pay you for the coral plus shipping and buy other frags of corals.

Let me ask my original question for this thread another way. What is the absolute best food for these corals if you are keeping a quarantine tank full of them with no fish and you would like them to grow and flourish? I guess dissolved fish poop in the water column is the best. What is the next best?

OA3B likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted