Best Looking Fish with Blue Lighting/Stocking Help

cconnolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know people have strong opinions on lighting programs and especially about how much blue is in them. I don’t want to debate that. I’m happily running the WWC program on my AI 32 and trying to lock in my fish stocking plan. So I know some will look better or worse with my lighting.

My tank is an IM Lagoon 25 and so far there are no fish. Just some corals, fire shrimp, decorator crab, Tiger conch and CUC of snails and hermits. We are not interested in clowns or cardinals. Have those in our other tank and are looking for different less common options.

The long term goal is mixed reef with softies and LPS mainly. Wife also wants a clam so most likely a crocea at some point.

I’ve got an order in for a Dracula goby with a red banded pistol shrimp as well as some sexy shrimp. So those should be here in a month or two as they are going through quarantine.

I was originally going to do a pink streaked wrasse but they seem near impossible to get ahold of. So unless I get lucky not sure it’s a viable option. Maybe a possum wrasse or even small McCoskers or Carpenters wrasse instead.

Have been thinking a BIOTA Court Jester goby. They look interesting and sound very peaceful. Easy enough to get ahold of as well.

Then maybe an exquisite fire fish or a chalk bass but worried it might be an issue with the sexy shrimp as it gets bigger. Maybe an assessor but have heard they spend most of their time in caves. So still unsure. So any suggestions are welcome! Thanks so much

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help with the specific question but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some attention

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know people have strong opinions on lighting programs and especially about how much blue is in them. I don’t want to debate that. I’m happily running the WWC program on my AI 32 and trying to lock in my fish stocking plan. So I know some will look better or worse with my lighting.

My tank is an IM Lagoon 25 and so far there are no fish. Just some corals, fire shrimp, decorator crab, Tiger conch and CUC of snails and hermits. We are not interested in clowns or cardinals. Have those in our other tank and are looking for different less common options.

The long term goal is mixed reef with softies and LPS mainly. Wife also wants a clam so most likely a crocea at some point.

I’ve got an order in for a Dracula goby with a red banded pistol shrimp as well as some sexy shrimp. So those should be here in a month or two as they are going through quarantine.

I was originally going to do a pink streaked wrasse but they seem near impossible to get ahold of. So unless I get lucky not sure it’s a viable option. Maybe a possum wrasse or even small McCoskers or Carpenters wrasse instead.

Have been thinking a BIOTA Court Jester goby. They look interesting and sound very peaceful. Easy enough to get ahold of as well.

Then maybe an exquisite fire fish or a chalk bass but worried it might be an issue with the sexy shrimp as it gets bigger. Maybe an assessor but have heard they spend most of their time in caves. So still unsure. So any suggestions are welcome! Thanks so much
I have a pair of zebra barred dartfish that look pretty cool under blue light. You might check that species out. I also have a Biota Court Jester Goby and it’s nice looking and peaceful but it’s pretty cryptic, I don’t see it a whole lot. I like pairs of fish and I probably should have got two of those instead of one. Maybe they would be out more.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say go for a blue or bright coloured fish (Not a deep blue or black). I personally love the clown gobies, I have a black clown goby but in a blues dominant tank, I would go for either yellow or green!

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like pairs of fish as well. IMO I’d go for a pair or trio of Coral Beauties from Biota. That’s my opinion.

*Take that back. Your tank is too small for any dwarf angels, maybe a Cherub would do? But IMO still a bit borderline.

If you can find a Randall’s or McNeill’s Assessor from ORA would be my choice.

OP
OP
C

cconnolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like pairs of fish as well. IMO I’d go for a pair or trio of Coral Beauties from Biota. That’s my opinion.

*Take that back. Your tank is too small for any dwarf angels, maybe a Cherub would do? But IMO still a bit borderline.

If you can find a Randall’s or McNeill’s Assessor from ORA would be my choice.
Are assessors free swimmers?

The upside down behavior would be a huge hit with the family so this would probably be a great fit.

Last edited:

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just payed high dollar for Dracula goby from a popular vendor here and received a wheelers goby. But that debacle of an order will get its own writeup soon as the vendor has a not communicating. But…. I think the Dracula would look good too, but not as good as the simple tangaroa.

OP
OP
C

cconnolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just payed high dollar for Dracula goby from a popular vendor here and received a wheelers goby. But that debacle of an order will get its own writeup soon as the vendor has a not communicating. But…. I think the Dracula would look good too, but not as good as the simple tangaroa.
Oh that sucks. Hope it gets worked out for you.

Our tanks are mainly for our son who is beyond obsessed with the hobby, but he is 4 so certain things like silly names or odd behaviors really get him super excited and I try to indulge as much as I responsibly can. When I was showing him various shrimp gobies to pick from as soon as he heard one was called Dracula we could have no other.

The decorator crab is his current favorite even though it’s very inactive during the day but the fact it’s covered in stuff entertains him to no end. He is still crestfallen that I won’t let him get a peacock mantis shrimp as one came through our LFS recently.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back