Best Manganese dosing

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which manganese supplement should I buy for DIY?

Manganese chloride tetrahydrate is one choice, but THIS post by Randy says that it's sensitive of O2 and could precipitate out. My worry is that every time the cap opens, it'll react with O2 and cause this problem, especially as more of the bottle gets used and the volume is displaced with air.

There's also manganese sulfate monohydrate, but not sure if I want to add sulfur to my tank? Would this be better than Manganese chloride tetrahydrate?

Any other available manganese supplement I should consider?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manganese is present at the ppb level and sulfur is one of the largest components of seawater at hundreds of ppm. So maybe 10,000x times more S than Mn.
So adding a compound of Manganese and sulfur could meet Mn needs while not noticeably changing sulfur at all.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The counter ion present with the manganese is unlikely to matter for oxidation. Either one is fine and if you make a stock dosing solution and it seems to precipitate over time, just make a fresh one.

OP
OP
Makara23

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will grab the manganese sulfate monohydrate. Are there other alternatives that's readily available besides these two?

I guess I'll have to buy a precision scale as well. I don't have anything that can weight 0.10grams to make such dilute stock solution.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will grab the manganese sulfate monohydrate. Are there other alternatives that's readily available besides these two?

I guess I'll have to buy a precision scale as well. I don't have anything that can weight 0.10grams to make such dilute stock solution.

Manganese sulfate and manganese chloride are the ones most DIY folks use. No need for 0.1 g.

Manganese(II) chloride tetrahydrate is 28% manganese by weight.

Here's a recipe:

Dissolve 1 gram in 100o mL (grams) fresh water. Manganese = 280 ppm.

Take 1 mL (1 g) of that mix and dissolve in 1000 mL of fresh water. Mn = 0.28 ppm (=280 ug/L).

Add 1 mL of that to 100 mL of fresh water. Mn = 2.8 ug/L

Add 13.5 mL of that to 100 gallons of tank water. Conc boost to tank = 0.1 ug/L Mn. :)

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manganese sulfate and manganese chloride are the ones most DIY folks use. No need for 0.1 g.

Manganese(II) chloride tetrahydrate is 28% manganese by weight.

Here's a recipe:

Dissolve 1 gram in 100o mL (grams) fresh water. Manganese = 280 ppm.

Take 1 mL (1 g) of that mix and dissolve in 1000 mL of fresh water. Mn = 0.28 ppm (=280 ug/L).

Add 1 mL of that to 100 mL of fresh water. Mn = 2.8 ug/L

Add 13.5 mL of that to 100 gallons of tank water. Conc boost to tank = 0.1 ug/L Mn. :)
Easy peasy for someone who does basically this all day at work

Might need to supplement soon

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back