best return pump for the money?

NY_Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so many great options. Ive been looking at the fluval SP pumps also. good reviews and priced right.
return pumps to me are the heart of a reef tank. I have been using danner mag drive 9.5 for over 10 years and never once have they failed me. i know they suck energy but ill pay for the reliability that a pump won't quit while I'm out of town.

Last edited:

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've yet to have a problem with Jebao pumps. What I normally do is initially order two of them just in case and return once I know there's no noise or functional problems. Usually ordering two is still cheaper than the name brand DC pumps.
Simplicty pumps are another lower cost pump that is surprisingly quiet (more of a pleasing whirrrrrr sound).

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like jebao might be the best option for the money! I love the look of the jump pump but whos really going to see the return pump besides me

Really for the price you can’t beat them. I have a couple running for over 3 years and I’ve never even cleaned them. You can even grab a couple to have one for a backup and you still come out ahead compared to the higher priced ones. The higher priced ones can also break just like the cheap ones. I have a Coral Box one from Reefbreeders that is nice too. I assume they are basically the same as the jebao.

I’d also recommend getting one a size or two up from what you think you want as far as flow. That way you can dial it back to only run at around 70%. No proof, but I feel like that helps out with the longevity of the pump.

Last edited:

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have the sicce 3.0. It's quiet enough, but a "quiet" pump can still make a racket if you dont install it correctly.

Different pipes / tubing, attachment methods, direct contact between the pump and or plumbing with resonant fixtures, poor cabinet placement, etc. Can make for a very noisy system regardless of your gear.

I wish I bought a cheaper, "noisier" pump up front and put the change towards acoustic foam, better plumbing, and some silicon pads for the skimmer.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jaebo returns from a power outage at 60%. Keep this in mind. You would be running that 6000 at 30%. If you lost power, you would be mopping up your sump. I have a 130gal which at 60% is precisely what I need and that is how I shopped for mine.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely the minority opinion, but this. I can’t hear my tank at all. If you’re worried about it breaking buy 2 so you have one handy
C6BE03C3-80A8-48D0-A667-44E47F9FFF0D.jpeg

RazorRamon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a Jebao for maybe 1-2 years now and it’s the best pump I’ve ran. I had a vectra return pump that died on me and I went cheap for the fine being.. never went back

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for Varios 8. I've had tons of different brands and none have ran as well as the Varios. On my new tank build all the pumps and power heads are Reef Octopus.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 5 QuietOne 3000’s or 4000’s .... reliable; they last but removing the shaft or freeing up a stuck impeller is tricky....that ceramic shaft remove & replace stinks...

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jaebo returns from a power outage at 60%. Keep this in mind. You would be running that 6000 at 30%. If you lost power, you would be mopping up your sump. I have a 130gal which at 60% is precisely what I need and that is how I shopped for mine.

This has NOT been my experience. I use Jebao returns on all of my systems and have no problems after power outages. I have my freshwater return (DCP-13000) on a smart switch that turns off power several times a day to feed the fish and the pump returns to my settings (30%) when the power is restored.

I also use a smart switch on my Reef tank return (DCP-8000) when working on the tank or feeding. It returns to my 45% setting after power is restored.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be in the minority here but I have no idea why someone would buy a Jebao pump when you can buy a Sicce or Eheim or Tunze that will last ten years or more for similar money.
I running two jebao pumps and they not as loud as the real deal maxspect gyre ans way cheaper! It’s being two years and still going strong at a fraction of the cost, again lot quieter

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looking into the Varios 6 or 8...

Second this, have a Varios 8 that’s been a work horse for the past couple years. Stripped to clean once and has ran silent

the Varios, are proven

im really thinking of getting the varios after looking into them.

Another vote for Varios 8. I've had tons of different brands and none have ran as well as the Varios. On my new tank build all the pumps and power heads are Reef Octopus.

Sending all your good vibes over to Reef Octo. I know they'll appreciate it!

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is not the case with my DCP-3000. It restores previous setting.

I have been pleased with mine for 8 months. First one ordered had a bad controller. Replacement has been foolproof and like others have said, I cannot hear it.

Last edited:

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This has NOT been my experience. I use Jebao returns on all of my systems and have no problems after power outages. I have my freshwater return (DCP-13000) on a smart switch that turns off power several times a day to feed the fish and the pump returns to my settings (30%) when the power is restored.

I also use a smart switch on my Reef tank return (DCP-8000) when working on the tank or feeding. It returns to my 45% setting after power is restored.
I have not yet purchased one, however in the manual for the 6000 unit it says that it starts at 60% after a power outage. The 8000 and 13000 might be different or maybe they upgraded the controller to hold memory when not powered since the manual was written. I would assume that it is a mandatory feature but it's worth looking into just to be on the safe side. If this is the case I may get something bigger than the 6000 just so I have plenty of overhead in case its underpowered. My non DC is 915gph and with a 5' head it's about 420gph.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not yet purchased one, however in the manual for the 6000 unit it says that it starts at 60% after a power outage. The 8000 and 13000 might be different or maybe they upgraded the controller to hold memory when not powered since the manual was written. I would assume that it is a mandatory feature but it's worth looking into just to be on the safe side. If this is the case I may get something bigger than the 6000 just so I have plenty of overhead in case its underpowered. My non DC is 915gph and with a 5' head it's about 420gph.

I‘m wondering if what it’s describing is the “soft start” feature common with all DC pumps, where upon a restart after a power outtage, it starts at a lower speed, in this case 60%, before ramping up to the full set flow rate.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back