Best Saltwater Aquarium Heater? You choose!

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by revhtree, Dec 3, 2012.

1. jasonrusso

jasonrusso Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

I just recently set up two 10 gallon tanks. One for feeders, one for QT. The Eheim has a temp swing of 0.7°. An Aqueon Pro has a swing of 1.4°. I don't think either would cause an issue, but the Eheim is more accurate.

2. jasonrusso

Remember, the wattage is based on temperature rise over ambient. I have a 150 watt in a 10 gallon in my basement, but the ambient temp is 50°.

Nemo5 likes this.
  3. Hybrid Ken

Hybrid Ken Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Eheim Jager. split the total amount of watts needed between two heaters and in a perfect world on a separate controller if not one set a degree cooler then the other. Replace every two years, three tops.

Nemo5 likes this.
  4. Nicole Sarnowski

Nicole Sarnowski Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I have one heater in my sump right now but I do have the one I started my tank with and ungraded to this flat heater. Not sure of the name brand because my sister gave it to me. My biggest problem as of now is keeping a steady temperature in the winter. We heat will a wood stove so my aquarium temperature fluctuates some. It doesn’t fluctuate in temperature by big degrees just a degree or 2 . So is this really bad and is there anyway to control it better??

5. Hybrid Ken

That sounds like a Cobalt Aquatics heater. If it is they has touted as one of the better ones for being spot on with temp settings. If I were in your situation I would most likely get up to three heaters each one being rated to heat half the actual volume of water (100 gallon take would mean two heaters rated for a 50 gallon tank) that gives you more power with less chance of cooking the tank should one get stuck in the on position. The best of all worlds a third heater of the same size backing up the two should one fail to turn on.
    My tank can swing a degree or two in a 24 hour period but it is a slow swing. Steady is always better but if it isn't a drastic and fast shift I don't worrie as much

Nicole Sarnowski likes this.
  6. Nicole Sarnowski

Nicole Sarnowski Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

So I have read that you want to keep the tank water between 72 and 78 degrees and I usually keep my temperature around 77 degrees. It can fluctuate one to 2 degrees in either direction depending on the weather outside and if our wood stove is cranking out heat. I was wondering if this is okay or no?

7. Hybrid Ken

my office tank (24 gallon) can go from 78.6 to 79.4 with no apparent ill effects. I would be sure any fish or coral you put in are not too temp sensitive.

Nicole Sarnowski likes this.
  8. Bigboned

Bigboned Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Can I ask - what’s the consensus on the Eheim one that is a fixed temp rather than the normal one that you turn the dial on?

9. Westside Guy

Westside Guy Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

10. 427HISS

427HISS Valuable Member

We have a Cobalt in one of our smaller 29g Biocube tanks. The others have two different company's heaters and both failed in a years time. NO problem the the Cobalt after three years. The problem, their real expensive and are not for large tanks.

With that said, were setting up a in-wall 125g, so should we check out titanium heater ?
    One in the sump and a second in the tank. So maybe the Finnex Titanium Heaters maintain water temperature controller ?
    What wattage of each ?

''Recommended up to 120 Gallons''
    So two 500w ?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  11. 427HISS

427HISS Valuable Member

siggy likes this.
  12. 427HISS

427HISS Valuable Member

13. 427HISS

427HISS Valuable Member

14. JAM-MAN

JAM-MAN Member

None, basically. Bundling the "controller", thermocouple and heating is a recipe for disaster. I started using a separate Johnson commercial controller with replaceable temperature sensor (heat shrink the sensor with adhesive marine shrink wrap) as a controller. Set low and high temps, and the controller controls a 120 V outlet. Set your heater in the middle of the low and high range. Much better built and no more expensive that aquarium models.

15. Westside Guy

Westside Guy Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I decided to lower the temperature on my Cobalt Aquatics Electronic Neo-Therm 200w to 74 degrees. My living room during the day gets warm and I only need the heater as backup protection at night when I go to bed and lower the temperature on my AC in my condo.

16. JAM-MAN

JAM-MAN Member

Example: Set controller ON at 77 deg. OFF at 80 deg. Set heater at 78 deg. Heater thermostat fails in on position, controller cuts power. Fails in off position, need another heater. Aquarium controller + two heaters better option but for lone tank in remote location this works.

17. JAM-MAN

JAM-MAN Member

Example: Set controller ON at 77 deg. OFF at 80 deg. Set heater at 78 deg. Heater thermostat fails in on position, controller cuts power. Fails in off position, need another heater. Aquarium controller + two heaters better option but for lone tank in remote location this works.

18. jasonrusso

19. 427HISS

427HISS Valuable Member

20. Jesterrace

Jesterrace Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

For the money, Eheim Jager. I did a review of mine here:

Draft saved Draft deleted