Best Saltwater Aquarium Heater? You choose!

HollidayReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Best heater imo is the neotherm heater. If you have a misshap on a water change or something and it comes out of the water it wont bust inside your tank when it touches the water agai.

427HISS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Best heater imo is the neotherm heater. If you have a misshap on a water change or something and it comes out of the water it wont bust inside your tank when it touches the water agai.
I've had one for four years now in a 29g Biocube, with no issues, the problem is their cost. I'm in the process of setting up a 125g, so I want two heaters, but the cost is to me, is redicluos. Two of their highest watt's, 300w for my tank is $280 ! :eek:. That ain't gonna happen.

Hallowhead

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm deciding on a Cobalt neotherm or a Jager for my new 34 gallon frag tank with a 15 gallon sump. Either way probably two 75 or 100 watts on a controller. Any suggestions ?

nick9one1

View Badges
Reaction score
On the topic of controllers, are there any off the shelf PID controllers available?
From what I've seen, they are all basic thermostatic. i.e. they just turn on if the heat is below the set temp, and off if the tank rises above.

PID controllers are a bit more 'intelligent' (They use quite a complex formula to calculate the on/off time of a heater) In basic terms they ramp up/down slowly and pulse the the heater to keep a very stable temperature. They can handle external temperature fluctuations better.

I built an all grain homebrew setup a few years ago, and nobody uses thermostats like the STC-1000, they just aren't stable enough.

deborahuribe

View Badges
Reaction score
Yeah! this the best thing I saw at my friend house. He has a big a aquarium and couple of very beautiful fishes. My vote is with you.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Where are you getting these recommendations? What is the ambient temperature. I have a 210 and the temperature rarely drops below 79 and that is without any heaters. Just pumps.
I know that this is a little old, but having two heaters isn’t because one won’t do the job. It’s so that if one dies, the other picks up the slack.

jasonrusso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I know that this is a little old, but having two heaters isn’t because one won’t do the job. It’s so that if one dies, the other picks up the slack.
I'm aware of the reasoning, I do it myself. My point was that he was going to put an 800w heater in a 220 (then corrected it to 500w). I have a 300w in a 210 and it never turns on, even in the winter. 2 Ehiem 1262s act as free heaters!

ORReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Plus one on the need for a controller. We have had good luck with Jager our original green model lasted over 10 years. However, the replacement - after an extended power outage, went crazy and tried to cook the tank!

If it's not too far out of the scope of this post, what controllers do people like?

TheGreatWave

View Badges
Reaction score
2 smaller Jagers. Controllers are a good idea but I don't personally have one since selling the Apex.

People like Ranco controllers as stand alone devices. (Commercial type product, not hobby grade)

Jagers have the longest warranty and are UL approved. They are a little big but I accept there is probably a reason for the size. Eheim are very reasonably priced. I can get them all over locally for around $35 Canadian.

Stay away from any of those black coated epoxy heaters like neo-therm etc. This style of manufacturing keeps popping up under different names over the years and keeps exploding.

I stay away from fancy off-shore digital titanium heaters with separate probes. Weird things seems to happen whenever I ran this heater. it might not be the heater, the rubber on the heater gets soft and dissolves in water.

The Eheims can be calibrated, though I find the temperature drift over time to be acceptable. (IME 2-3 degrees F in as many years)

After 3 years I buy new Eheims and use the old ones for spares and utility heaters etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Aqua SD
Tide Pool Aquatics