Best way to kill aiptasia

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have two in there with about 20 aiptasia and no luck after two weeks
2 is not enough cause not all shrimps will eat aiptasia.
Make sure u do not have fish that harass the shrimp.
Make sure u do not feed alot to the point the shrimp eat the fish food hence they will not hunt..

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed if this will adjust your alk or cal levels? Does this method spread them? Thanks for the reply.

I’ve never hit more than 10 or 20 at a time, but it has never messed with my alkalinity or ph. That’s why I said if it’s a major outbreak not to do too much at once.

They will not spread from the treatment so long as you cover them with the paste. The aiptasia that you don’t hit will continue to spread as normal.

It works, but is time consuming and you’ll never get them all. Good luck.

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've killed probably well over 1,000 aiptasia over the past couple months at a public aquarium I volunteer at with kalk paste and a big hypodermic needle. Works great! It works best if you can inject them directly in the mouth, but a thicker paste can also be used to simply cover them with the flow turned way down for a few hours so that it doesn't blow off. I prefer injecting instead of covering because you don't have to use anywhere near as much kalk and hence have less risk of a big pH or alk spike.

Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bunch of aiptasia in my tank. Then one day me & my lady went to the fish store and saw a file fish there. She said it was cute, so me being the nice guy I am, I asked if I should buy it. She said yes [emoji847] so I did, it’s been about 3 weeks now and theres no aiptasia to be seen. I had some really big ones too, but now there gone. Hope it goes after the mojanos next.

hbrochs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had any issues with them spreading after kalk?

I have not had any issues with them spreading, I think it’s more a case of not getting them all the first time. I think you just have to go at it once a week for awhile. They’re also probably in books and crannies that you can’t see. It’s not the end of the world if you don’t get them all. You just want to keep it from becoming an epidemic.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Travis Stewart I wish I took a video because it was very cool. We had some very large aptasia in the overflow so I decided to hit it with some kalk paste. This large aptasia took almost 8ml of paste and you could see it swallow the solution all the way down its stalk before violently trying to regurgitate the kalk paste. In 2 weeks time the aptasia shrunk/melted to a very tiny nub then actually grew back from that hit. We were stunned and amazed at the same time. After trying to eradicate them for so many years I believe they have a survivability about them that is astonishing. What I suggest is when hitting them with kalkwasser, wait a few weeks before another treatment to make sure the one you hit is dead. They release spores so take your time.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Travis Stewart I wish I took a video because it was very cool. We had some very large aptasia in the overflow so I decided to hit it with some kalk paste. This large aptasia took almost 8ml of paste and you could see it swallow the solution all the way down its stalk before violently trying to regurgitate the kalk paste. In 2 weeks time the aptasia shrunk/melted to a very tiny nub then actually grew back from that hit. We were stunned and amazed at the same time. After trying to eradicate them for so many years I believe they have a survivability about them that is astonishing. What I suggest is when hitting them with kalkwasser, wait a few weeks before another treatment to make sure the one you hit is dead. They release spores so take your time.

Thanks for all your help!

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for all the replies. This has turned into a very educating thread. I can’t say that about most of my posts, so I appreciate you taking the time to help or give input. Cheers!

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update for everyone. Of course this hobby is about patience. If I would have waited two more days, I would have been able to tell that the peppermint shrimp were taking care of business. Just making sure they don’t get any food I feed fish. This is my second time to use them on two different tanks with success.

tony'stank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if A particular rock is heavily infested I pull it out of the tank and soak it in vinegar for 24 hours. If the infestation is mild I inject tha aiptasia with lemon juice using a small syringe and a 25G needle.

jdemarco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone here have any experience with laser or "wand" as its called???? I am surprised nobody mentioned it already ,i have never used it, but I was under the impression that it was very effecyive.....

chasentwins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank (90g) was getting out of control with aiptasia. Tried a few things. Two Peppermint shrimp took care of every single one of them. Even the large ones.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%

Back