better spam detection.

PmCarbrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything that can be done about the increasing amounts of spam posts that are getting through the filter? It's a tad ridiculous when there are two full pages of this under "Today's Posts"
ss.png

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We get them and remove them as quickly as we can. I know @revhtree turned up the spam filter so if someone posts a link in their first post it goes to a queue to get reviewed before posting.

Other than that of you see it before we do, report it. We will take it from there :)

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is doing the best they can, spam bots suck, but a 3 day posting ban might be intimidating to new people and especially disheartening to a new person with a tank crashing looking for help. It's a tight line between killing the bots and maintaining the friendly family atmosphere that makes R2R the place we all enjoy.

taxiem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reported a few this morning. Its par for the course on such a huge forum really. The mods and admin teams do a great job of keeping it to a minimum :D x

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Trust me. We're as frustrated as you guys are by the increase in spam. We're working on it and have already tried several solutions. @revhtree is aware of the issue and trying to find ways to keep them out. I'm the meantime, the mod team is trying to clean them up ASAP.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, a three-day ban on new members posting is not effective. It seems that most new members are joining because they have a problem or question. Preventing these members from posting for three days either causes them to not get the help they need, or they might even go somewhere else.

There's no great solution to IT and Internet security. Even the best captcha and verification schemes can be bypassed by a well-designed bot. If a human gets involved and does the account sign up, then passes the credentials to a bot, that's going to be almost impossible to prevent. Deep learning and machine learning are making things even more challenging for those trying to secure software systems. There have been a few acute spam problems here, but aside for these mostly-isolated incidents, R2R is remarkably spam free.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me. We're as frustrated as you guys are by the increase in spam. We're working on it and have already tried several solutions. @revhtree is aware of the issue and trying to find ways to keep them out. I'm the meantime, the mod team is trying to clean them up ASAP.

Can the forum be set so that as soon as something is reported as spam, the thread disappears until it can be moderated? Some users would still see it, but it might help things look cleaner in general.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are doing a great job at eliminating them quickly.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These spam make their ways when you are sleeping in the US. I often see them around 7 - 8 o´clock local time when I normally logg in. When it will be some hours before some mods awake and take them away. One or two mods from Europe or Asia could help in order to get them away quickly. Because I often use links - some of my post has been put in waiting mod. But - if it possible to fix - as mentioned in post 11 - an automatic block after a report could be a good idea

Sincerely Lasse

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These spam make their ways when you are sleeping in the US. I often see them around 7 - 8 o´clock local time when I normally logg in. When it will be some hours before some mods awake and take them away. One or two mods from Europe or Asia could help in order to get them away quickly. Because I often use links - some of my post has been put in waiting mod. But - if it possible to fix - as mentioned in post 11 - an automatic block after a report could be a good idea

Sincerely Lasse

If we did that then every post that is reported will do that and will cause major issues throughout the forum

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The difficulty with giving every member the ability to move a thread to moderation with a "spam" button (IF that's a possible option) is that while it would be effective at eliminating spam quicker, it would also potentially give trolls the ability to lock up perfectly useful and beneficial discussions until we could get them cleared...we don't have many trolls, giving ANY trolls this option would be like opening a playground for them (at least as far as I can tell). Maybe an in between option is possible, but that's something beyond my knowledge of the software. I do know that an upgrade will be happening soon on the software, and hopefully that will help a great deal.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spammers are out in full force this morning... ugh. Attacking in multiple forums. For these particular spammers, is there away to filter out and identify them as spammers when they use “Asian” characters in the body of the thread or in the titles?

*please no one take offense to my suggestion. I happen to be an American of Asian descent. :D

Otrips

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overnight spam is pretty ridiculous. Any way you could add some of these Chinese characters to a spam filter or limit new member posts to a max of one every 10-15min or so? Keep up the good work getting rid of it, I know it's not an easy task.

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We get them and remove them as quickly as we can. I know @revhtree turned up the spam filter so if someone posts a link in their first post it goes to a queue to get reviewed before posting.

Other than that of you see it before we do, report it. We will take it from there :)
Thanks for the heads up I personally haven't seen any spam posts but if I do I'll report them. I admin a few Mushroom ID forums on Facebook an it can take up some valuable time that's for sure.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back