Bidget light for fluval flex 15

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I acquired a fluval flex 15 about 5 months ago. Have crushed coral substrate and 2 decent sized mined rock and a small rock from my main tank. After it cycled I added 2 baby o. Clowns. Im wanting to get an anemone and I know the cheap leds on the lid aren't nearly powerful enough for one. Looking for a budget friendly light that will work with a bta. Something around $100. I have 3 black box leds over my 125 and the corals are doing great but they are wider than the fluval flex that's 16" wide.
Pic of when I first set it up.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flu electro flex 9g. Aio. I took out the aio compartments.
I used a oddysea 4 bulb t5 light.
Helios 3 puck led
Id recommend 2 par 38s or 1 if u can get a decent one and mount it a little higher.
D

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you taken a look at the Kessil A 80's? I run an Ai Prime HD on my Flex 15!

I remember looking at the A80 tuna blur before but was under the impression that it was just a blue light. After watching some vedios it appears that it would work well. Was planning on building a wood canopy using 1x6 for the sides.

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flu electro flex 9g. Aio. I took out the aio compartments.
I used a oddysea 4 bulb t5 light.
Helios 3 puck led
Id recommend 2 par 38s or 1 if u can get a decent one and mount it a little higher.
D

Why did you remove the aio compartments? For more usable space? Only think I don't like about it is when water evaporates the entire water level drops, not the return pump chamber.

The new fish on the block

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you remove the aio compartments? For more usable space? Only think I don't like about it is when water evaporates the entire water level drops, not the return pump chamber.
I had someone custom make me a little cover that clips on to the bottom intake. It really does help with keeping a constant water level in the main tank I’ll share the seller for you if you’d like! Oh and the surface skimming of the top intake increased a lot too!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend the ai prime over the kessil? I like how you can have more control over the light output and schedule.
I personally have never tried a kessil, that being said If I had to choose between the two, I would go with the Ai Prime because of controllability and the fact that if you ever want to upgrade down the road to a bigger/ longer tank, you can just add more primes to fit your needs!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tempImageQN7UgL.jpg

This Is an Older Pic of my Flex 15 with the Prime

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks amazing. I'm a few months away from being comfortable with getting an anemone. Want the tank to be more stable. Could put in a few extra hours at work to afford the better light lol. As for upgrading I just upgraded my 75g to a 125g so I'm good there. I got the flex for free and have plenty of freshwater tanks already.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For more room ya. I didn't like how small the compartments were.
I tried a reef glass skimmer but no good. The skimmer.
So I junked the wall and dividers. If I set it up again ill just use a nice hob skimmer and an ehiem liberty.
D

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the "Flex Fam" :D I run one of these on my Flex 15:
Has been working great, and you can't beat the price. I've been growing SPS with it no problem.
I saw mention of a skimmer above, if you haven't gotten one yet, a Fluval PS2 fits right in the first chamber in the back (you do have to leave out the suction cups/mounts because they make it too wide, but the skimmer sits perfectly on the little dividers in the first compartment)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back