Bigkid 280g build

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys! Wanted to share my current build. Been planning this for a while now. Took some time to try and figure out what would be the best way to go. Your feedback is certainly welcome and appreciated.
Just so everyone knows I have a LFS (Aquarium Artisans) doing all the work. I'm not really mechanically inclined and wanted to be 100% sure things are done right. Both Jen and Jeremy have been great to work with. I had an idea of what I wanted and bounced it off them. They gave me honest feedback (very much appreciated) on what they thought would work and what wouldn't. Ultimately the final decision was mine and I'm SUPER happy with the decisions made. Listed below is the equipment I decided on.

Tank: 90x30x24 Acrylic Tank (made by Titan)
Stand: 90x30x40 Fiberglass Stand (made by Titan)
Sump: 72x24x20 Acrylic Sump (made by Titan)
Skimmer: Alpha Vertex 300
UV: Pentair 80W
Return pump: Reeflo Hammerhead
Closed loop pump: Reeflo Dart
(2) 1" Sea Swirls- fed by Reeflo Hammerhead
(2) 3/4" Sea Swirls- fed by Reeflo Dart
Lighting: (5) Radion Gen 4 Pro, (4) 60" T5's
Controller- Apex

Below is a pic of my current tank (48x36x22) rimless. I'm happy with the results but I wanted to go bigger. (As you can see I'm not a photographer either)
Current Tank.JPG

Below is a pic of where the new tank will be. I have a partially finished basement so the new tank will be going into the only entrance to the unfinished part.
Pre Construction.JPG

To get to the unfinished part of my basement I had the back of a closet removed from the adjacent room. This allows me to not only do laundry but also do maintenance from the rear of the new tank.
Closet.JPG

Before the tank can arrive the wall needs to be prepared. DEMO DAY!!!!
Construction.JPG

Jen sent pics of the tank just before it shipped. Can anyone say Xmas in July????
Tank Pic.JPG

The tank came in this weekend and Jen/Jeremy worked all weekend on getting the tank in place, mocked up, glued and ready for water. Below are a bunch of pics of the plumbing that has been done. As you can see they have done a fantastic job plumbing. I always say, If you now what your not good at, find someone that is.
Full Tank Front 2.JPG
Sump 1.JPG
Sump 2.JPG
Rear Plumbing.JPG
Rear plumbing 2.JPG

Can you say SEXY!!! The red PVC looks fantastic. I picked red because it matches the skimmer color.
Tomorrow brings the leak test to ensure all the plumbing is correct. Sea Swirls will be adjusted to ensure plenty of flow throughout the entire tank.
Once that is complete, I can start aquascaping. I will be taking the rock from my current tank as well as roughly 150 lbs. of new live rock that I have been curing for about 5 weeks now. Aquascaping may take me a couple weeks because I have a vacation planned later this week. I want to make sure I give myself plenty of time. I will continue to update as things progress.

Daniel85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks awesome. well done and congratulations

UABsleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow awesome looking build! Looks like your doing everything right so far! Beautiful tank! Btw that fiberglass stand looks pretty wicked! Can't say that I have ever seen on of those before! It's interesting I have herd the tensil strength of fiberglass is more than steel that weight will put it to the test!

Following along!

OP
OP
BigKid4788

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow this looks super promising! This is dream like :)
I've been working with aquarium artisans for about 16 months. They have been super patient while I decide on both equipment and type of tank. I went back n forth on glass or acrylic. Final decision was based on worse case scenario.....scratches that can be buffed out or a seam letting go over time and having a disaster.

OP
OP
BigKid4788

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow awesome looking build! Looks like your doing everything right so far! Beautiful tank! Btw that fiberglass stand looks pretty wicked! Can't say that I have ever seen on of those before! It's interesting I have herd the tensil strength of fiberglass is more than steel that weight will put it to the test!

Following along!
I'm glad I went with the fiberglass. Won't have to worry about rust down the road.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dig it! Nice clean setup! Will be following this one.

Have you started working on a stocklist?

OP
OP
BigKid4788

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dig it! Nice clean setup! Will be following this one.

Have you started working on a stocklist?
I will be transferring fish/coral from my current tank and then adding more.
Current fish
Gem tang
Bandit angel
Lemon peal mimic tang
Harem of anthias
95% sps
2 clams

Wish list
Interuptus angel
Additional 10-15 Anthias
3-5 more tangs
Goldflake angel
Conspicuous (bucket list if I come into some $$$$)-lol

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So nice man! Great job!

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I gotta say that I was able to watch the above tank being fitted in place this past weekend and you just stand there with your Jaw hanging open - totally impressive - the finish to this point is super nice. The planning of the parts and the very nice work so far make you appreciate the skill and craftsmanship in this hobby.
I guess the really exciting part of this new Tank Build for me is the fact that his Rimless 168g (old tank - haha) will be sitting in my house in about 4wks or so, big boooooyah - that really gets me going. Great lookin tank Todd, well done on the pics for equipment and having it done right. This will be a pleasure to watch this tank mature over time, it's going to be a good winter for staying indoors and working on some tanks! :eek: ;Pompus :)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great! Excited to follow this one.

OP
OP
BigKid4788

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I gotta say that I was able to watch the above tank being fitted in place this past weekend and you just stand there with your Jaw hanging open - totally impressive - the finish to this point is super nice. The planning of the parts and the very nice work so far make you appreciate the skill and craftsmanship in this hobby.
I guess the really exciting part of this new Tank Build for me is the fact that his Rimless 168g (old tank - haha) will be sitting in my house in about 4wks or so, big boooooyah - that really gets me going. Great lookin tank Todd, well done on the pics for equipment and having it done right. This will be a pleasure to watch this tank mature over time, it's going to be a good winter for staying indoors and working on some tanks! :eek: ;Pompus :)
Again kudos go to Aquarium Artisans for their work. I got great taste but they have made it happen!

OP
OP
BigKid4788

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Leak test went great. All those joints that needed glued and..........No leaks! Job well done.
Starting filling this morning and it will take some time. 90gpd to/di. I have 100 gallons already made up for an emergency on my current tank. Will probably use that as well.

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear, will be following this 280g Build thread!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back