fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it's all clicking now Bill... ;) corals,coralline growing,eating it up.
you just going to adjust dosing up slowly to accommodate ?

below 8 scares me...;Wideyed

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's all clicking now Bill... ;) corals,coralline growing,eating it up.
you just going to adjust dosing up slowly to accommodate ?

below 8 scares me...;Wideyed
That's were the spikes are coming from, me dosing 100ml to raise it. I am about to add another 100ml to raise it more. I like to keep my Alk in the high 7's at least, but, usually ran it in the high 8's. I don't want to simply raise my dose level yet as I don't want precipitation. I had my Cal dose turned off the past 3 weeks to allow my cal to drop, so that may have effected it some. I just turned my Cal dose back on.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its amazing how easy the MP wetsides come apart when you don't wait 6 months to clean them.:rolleyes: ;) :p
It’s even more amazing after 12 months!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a whole rebuild kit for my Gyres. Flow directors, cages, impellers, and shaft assemblies. They are not hard to maintain, in fact, they are as simple as a Mp pump. You just need to buy the items to do so. ;)

Gyres are the best pump, BUT, it comes at a cost, a bit of maintenance. OMG, I have to clean something, I didn't see that in the fine print of OWNING a reef tank.;):cool:

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a little confusing. The flow meter on my right return changed 2 times while I simply turned off my flow pumps to clean.

Screenshot (337).png
Screenshot (338).png

Screenshot (339).png
Screenshot (340).png

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are looking pretty good, but you need to get some coral in that tank!!
I have officially mounted my 1st 4 SPS frags. :eek: :cool: :D

About to place a big order to Battlecorals.

Last edited:

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a funnier note, when I feed my LPS I noticed my Eightline Flasher wrasse eating the mucus that was sent out by my WWC Rainbow blastos. I was thinking that was odd, UNTIL, I realized the wrasse was smarter than I thought. The mucus collects the Reef Roids that was soaked in Aminos, and the wrasse was getting a big dose of both. Fish are smarter than we think sometimes. ;) :cool:
My wrasse would do the same thing. They also follow me around cleaning glass or sand.

Oh now you have me thinking of 1 gyre. I need to go back and see how you have your powerheads and how the tank looks. I’ll get there

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why you always lay out your plumbing and make sure you have what you need before doing the plumbing. I am short 2 Reducing couplings, no big deal as I need to order some 1 1/4 some tuning in black to connect the return pump.

Below is the layout, trying to decide a few things. Before I had 2 separate returns with 2 return pump, now I will have 2 returns with 1 return pump. Do I need to run a flow meter on both returns? I will have the reactor header piped in the left return, will that effect the flow on both returns equally or will it only effect the left return. That's were my 2nd question comes in, do I need to install a valve to control the right return. Again, below is a picture, you will have to use your imagination as it's just the fittings and it 2 dimension.

20211225_134500.jpg

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd say yes ,on valve for 2nd return, flow meter ?? your call... ;)
Agree in second valve. If flow sensor is in line before the split you can use one if your flow doesn’t exceed sensor. If it is after the split two are needed.
So are both of you saying that the single valve in red would be enough to balance out the returns, or add another valve that is circled in yellow? I figured with the reactor manifold piped into the left return that is circled in white would cause the imbalance, thus adding the valve in red.

I am unable to fit a single flow sensor on the short section of return before it splits, also, I have to restrict it down to 3/4 pvc to install the flow sensors, and I don't want to have to restrict it until the very end to help with head pressure.

return upgrade_LI (2).jpg

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m following you correctly I think you want a valve in the yellow. I try and not use a manifold or feed anything of a return pump because they all change when one changes and in return the water level in overflow gets effected.

You want flow sensor mounted close to tank bulkhead? Then two is needed. One for each return. I have a spare Neptune 1” new in open box If you need.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m following you correctly I think you want a valve in the yellow. I try and not use a manifold or feed anything of a return pump because they all change when one changes and in return the water level in overflow gets effected.

You want flow sensor mounted close to tank bulkhead? Then two is needed. One for each return. I have a spare Neptune 1” new in open box If you need.
Thanks for the offer, but, I am switching to GHL flow sensors. I already purchased 2 GHL flow sensors, just trying to figure out how to do the plumbing with the least amount of head pressure. I am converting it all to 1 1/4 pvc.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the offer, but, I am switching to GHL flow sensors. I already purchased 2 GHL flow sensors, just trying to figure out how to do the plumbing with the least amount of head pressure. I am converting it all to 1 1/4 pvc.
Switch to gel sensor maybe a smart move.
I did my returns in 1 1/4” and surprised how well cor20 flows over 1” I used on smaller tanks.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switch to gel sensor maybe a smart move.
I did my returns in 1 1/4” and surprised how well cor20 flows over 1” I used on smaller tanks.
I am running 2 Cor 20's with separate 1 in returns and was disappointed in the GPH. I am switching to a single Abyzz A200. I may move one of the Cor 20's to my UV sterilizer, I will not run it off of the manifold. I like the GHL flow sensors because they have no moving parts.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back