OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jealous on the return pump choice. No moving part is a flow sensor is a great feature.
Don't be, I ALMOST had a heart attack paying for it...LOL!!! :eek:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are both of you saying that the single valve in red would be enough to balance out the returns, or add another valve that is circled in yellow? I figured with the reactor manifold piped into the left return that is circled in white would cause the imbalance, thus adding the valve in red.

I am unable to fit a single flow sensor on the short section of return before it splits, also, I have to restrict it down to 3/4 pvc to install the flow sensors, and I don't want to have to restrict it until the very end to help with head pressure.

return upgrade_LI (2).jpg
As far as the flow sensors it’s really up to you, I don’t know what the GHL ones are like, but I won’t be replacing any of the Neptune ones. The one on the return failed after a few months.

Im not really bothered about the actual flow number at the return, I just want to know if the pump has failed, and I now have plastic float switches into the breakout box to tell me if either the sump is to high (pump failure) or to low (ATO failure). I also have a gravity fed ATO backup on a float valve for 3-4 days extra cover In case the Osmolator failed while away. I’m sure GHL will have something similar

On the plumbing, water will generally travel the route of least resistance so I can see it might ‘prefer’ to go up the right hand return so the gate valve looks a good idea there to restrict the flow and force more around the left hand side. I think that should deal with the problem you foresee.

Having said that, for the sake of adding another gate valve, or even cheaper ball valve, in the yellow area whilst building it up, I would probably do that so save altering it later.

From experience with the plumbing, Id probably put another union connector on the right side of the right hand gate valve, and same on your left hand return pipe work (although there may be one there already) in case something goes wrong with the final length of return piping when your building it up. It’s very easy to make a slight mistake,and at least you can just unscrew it!

I remember one of my most nervous moments, was solvent welding the first piece of pipe (an adapter fitting) to the very beautiful, and also expensive Abyzz a200. Because once it’s on it’s staying on. I must have checked doubled checked, and then repeat for days until the day came! Lol

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the flow sensors it’s really up to you, I don’t know what the GHL ones are like, but I won’t be replacing any of the Neptune ones. The one on the return failed after a few months.

Im not really bothered about the actual flow number at the return, I just want to know if the pump has failed, and I now have plastic float switches into the breakout box to tell me if either the sump is to high (pump failure) or to low (ATO failure). I also have a gravity fed ATO backup on a float valve for 3-4 days extra cover In case the Osmolator failed while away. I’m sure GHL will have something similar

On the plumbing, water will generally travel the route of least resistance so I can see it might ‘prefer’ to go up the right hand return so the gate valve looks a good idea there to restrict the flow and force more around the left hand side. I think that should deal with the problem you foresee.

Having said that, for the sake of adding another gate valve, or even cheaper ball valve, in the yellow area whilst building it up, I would probably do that so save altering it later.

From experience with the plumbing, Id probably put another union connector on the right side of the right hand gate valve, and same on your left hand return pipe work (although there may be one there already) in case something goes wrong with the final length of return piping when your building it up. It’s very easy to make a slight mistake,and at least you can just unscrew it!

I remember one of my most nervous moments, was solvent welding the first piece of pipe (an adapter fitting) to the very beautiful, and also expensive Abyzz a200. Because once it’s on it’s staying on. I must have checked doubled checked, and then repeat for days until the day came! Lol
Did you use standard PVC glue, or ABS to PVC glue when installing the unions on your Abyzz pumps? I will start to glue parts of the return that I don't need to worry about measuring and hopefully do the changeover this weekend.

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use standard PVC glue, or ABS to PVC glue when installing the unions on your Abyzz pumps? I will start to glue parts of the return that I don't need to worry about measuring and hopefully do the changeover this weekend.
I used a ‘once it’s glued on its not coming off type’ here! lol. I assume it’s available worldwide

You get about 4 seconds to position it and it basically melts the plastic and becomes ‘one’.

A top tip my tank builders gave me, and forgive me, you may know this already or something similar, sand both parts of the pipe lightly, then apply the glue to both parts. Push the 2 pieces together and then turn them about 1/4 inch or just slightly into position. If they need to line up to a critical position mark both pieces with a line with a marker pen

It works the solvent weld into a permanent water tight seal. Then with your finger just smear excess glue around the joint and again that’s another layer of protection. I used nitrile powderless gloves when I built mine.

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be worth adding a 50mm coupler connector or similar onto the inlet so there’s a straight water flow into the pump, it’s mentioned in the instructions about a straight run of pipe. I posted a picture I think of mine.

Or just try it and see, it should be silent and no vibrations

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be worth adding a 50mm coupler connector or similar onto the inlet so there’s a straight water flow into the pump, it’s mentioned in the instructions about a straight run of pipe. I posted a picture I think of mine.

Or just try it and see, it should be silent and no vibrations
So you just added a coupling to the inlet, or did you add a piece of 2" pvc to the coupling to extend it further?

I just checked, you just have a coupling.

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you've been swapping over and doing testing but couldn't remember if you had the KH Director. If you did was wondering if you felt like it was worth it. Was thinking of getting this;

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I have been running my since June. I like it.
I just figured out it needs 3 of the 4 channels on the doser. What I really wanted was just a slave doser so I can get rid of the 2 jebao dosers I have. Was looking at this because I've been getting tired of the trident being all over the place :(
They dont send enough calibration solution and they want 9 bucks a bottle separately. I like the GHL doser I have but 450 for a 4 pump slave is kinda steep. LOL, at the beginning of my journey in reefing i was tossing money all around. Now I've gotten cheap :p

Anyway thx for the input!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just figured out it needs 3 of the 4 channels on the doser. What I really wanted was just a slave doser so I can get rid of the 2 jebao dosers I have. Was looking at this because I've been getting tired of the trident being all over the place :(
They dont send enough calibration solution and they want 9 bucks a bottle separately. I like the GHL doser I have but 450 for a 4 pump slave is kinda steep. LOL, at the beginning of my journey in reefing i was tossing money all around. Now I've gotten cheap :p

Anyway thx for the input!
I have a KHD with a slave doser and another GHL master doser.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just glued the fittings onto my Abyzz A200, :eek:, now you will see the before and after in the size difference.

Before

20211226_114825.jpg
20211226_114835.jpg

After

20211227_183108.jpg
20211227_183116.jpg

It probably dropped down by a 1" plus.

That Abyzz A200 DOES LOOK SEXY THOUGH!!! ;Hilarious :cool: :p ;)

@SPR1968, I felt what you did when gluing it.:eek:;):cool::p

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not seeing any confirmation purchase shipments sent from @Bulk Reef Supply, meaning tracking info and such. Since it is 19:30 eastern, I am guessing @Bulk Reef Supply didn't care and went home. It would not be an issue if I ordered it today. I did not order it today. I actually ordered it on the 25 and 26th and actually payed the extra 3 dollars on each order to get it to my house by this weekend.

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just glued the fittings onto my Abyzz A200, :eek:, now you will see the before and after in the size difference.

Before

20211226_114825.jpg
20211226_114835.jpg

After

20211227_183108.jpg
20211227_183116.jpg

It probably dropped down by a 1" plus.

That Abyzz A200 DOES LOOK SEXY THOUGH!!! ;Hilarious :cool: :p ;)

@SPR1968, I felt what you did when gluing it.:eek:;):cool::p
Lol!

Hey that inlet design is my patent and it’s protected!!

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not seeing any confirmation purchase shipments sent from @Bulk Reef Supply, meaning tracking info and such. Since it is 19:30 eastern, I am guessing @Bulk Reef Supply didn't care and went home. It would not be an issue if I ordered it today. I did not order it today. I actually ordered it on the 25 and 26th and actually payed the extra 3 dollars on each order to get it to my house by this weekend.
I found the extra 1.99 shipping moves the shipment by a day or two. After that its not worth it :confused:
I miss being able to buy from Marine Depot and getting the order the next day!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the extra 1.99 shipping moves the shipment by a day or two. After that its not worth it :confused:
I miss being able to buy from Marine Depot and getting the order the next day!
That was the only reason I paid the extra bit for shipping was to hopefully get it by Thursday and get the returns done this weekend. It should have shipped out yesterday. I am sure they are busy, but still. I can't replace the returns without the shipment of fittings.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back