Biocube protein skimmer help

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife got me a coralife protein skimmer for Christmas. How much air should I allow into the skimmer? I’m not sure how many bubbles are too many. I’ve got the air dialed all the way back right now until I figure out how far to let it open. I had the same skimmer on my older biocube and it was easier to adjust because the thing was either all the way on or off. This new one is much better quality and is throwing me off. Also, can I put the heater in the same chamber with it?

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good place to start is with the bubbles at the bottom edge of the removable cup, then increase the bubbles depending on if you want a wet or dry skim. With that small of a cup, I'd go more on the dry side else you will be emptying it every/other day.

So long as the heater isn't touching it it should be fine. I had a Colbat heater in the same chamber with my skimmer when my biocube was setup.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good place to start is with the bubbles at the bottom edge of the removable cup, then increase the bubbles depending on if you want a wet or dry skim. With that small of a cup, I'd go more on the dry side else you will be emptying it every/other day.

So long as the heater isn't touching it it should be fine. I had a Colbat heater in the same chamber with my skimmer when my biocube was setup.
So how high should my bubbles be for a dry skim? I don’t want a lot of water in it

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how high should my bubbles be for a dry skim? I don’t want a lot of water in it
Depends, that's something you will have to play with, start it at the bottom of the collection cup, give it a day and see if anything is spilling over into the cup, if not then move it up a little and check back in a few hours. Rinse and repeat until you are happy with what you are seeing in the cup. Id personally shoot for having to empty it 1-2X a week depending on bioload

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you empty it?
It’s half full every couple days. It’s a wet skim even wide open, but do get some gunk out of the tank. It’s sensitive to water level fluctuations, and even in chamber one it’s susceptible to some changes from the surface agitation at times. But, it’s a nano skimmer and wasnt expecting any miracles. Does what i wanted it to at least...

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you empty it?
A bit hard to tell in the pic but it does pull some frothy skimmate. I actually had to put a zip tie around it as it was pushing the lid off overnight. I also want to find a way to plug the hole in the lid bit find it messes with the level and creates a suction.

Attachments

• C5C1D74B-EB76-4324-816A-9AAFD8BCFFD8.jpeg
    C5C1D74B-EB76-4324-816A-9AAFD8BCFFD8.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 154

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife got me a coralife protein skimmer for Christmas. How much air should I allow into the skimmer? I’m not sure how many bubbles are too many. I’ve got the air dialed all the way back right now until I figure out how far to let it open. I had the same skimmer on my older biocube and it was easier to adjust because the thing was either all the way on or off. This new one is much better quality and is throwing me off. Also, can I put the heater in the same chamber with it?
And yes, heater can go in same chamber. I have them both in chamber 1. It’s a bit tight so expect some wet mess if you need to remove either. I use a Jager 150w

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes, heater can go in same chamber. I have them both in chamber 1. It’s a bit tight so expect some wet mess if you need to remove either. I use a Jager 150w
Are you not afraid of it melting something on the skimmer? That’s the same heater I have

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind if I ask for a pic so I know I’m doing it correctly?
Sure thing! Got quite a bit packed in there... heater and skimmer chamber 1, InTank media basket and InTank fuge basket chamber 2, pump and ATO chamber 3...

Attachments

• E7D2011C-5B50-4481-9DEE-1F5787B92201.jpeg
    E7D2011C-5B50-4481-9DEE-1F5787B92201.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 9AEE353C-2FB3-4EA6-9AB5-72297730C71F.jpeg
    9AEE353C-2FB3-4EA6-9AB5-72297730C71F.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 122

Sharkattackmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure thing! Got quite a bit packed in there... heater and skimmer chamber 1, InTank media basket and InTank fuge basket chamber 2, pump and ATO chamber 3...
This must be a 32. I can barely even fit my skimmer in the first chamber of my 16. I ended up removing it as it kept blasting micro bubbles threw the tank.

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This must be a 32. I can barely even fit my skimmer in the first chamber of my 16. I ended up removing it as it kept blasting micro bubbles threw the tank.
Yep, 32... I had a bad micro bubble issue for a while. I realized it was the power head on the back wall was actually pulling some water back into the display from the overflow. Moved the power head, problem solved.

Sharkattackmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, 32... I had a bad micro bubble issue for a while. I realized it was the power head on the back wall was actually pulling some water back into the display from the overflow. Moved the power head, problem solved.
I will have to try this out. My hardest issue with the skimmer in the 1st chamber is having to keep the heater in with the return. Twice I've been working on the tank and smelt burnt plastic as the water level in the last chamber dropped and heater overheated.

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to try this out. My hardest issue with the skimmer in the 1st chamber is having to keep the heater in with the return. Twice I've been working on the tank and smelt burnt plastic as the water level in the last chamber dropped and heater overheated.
What about an ATO in 3rd chamber? I use the Tunze Osmolator, it’s awesome.

Sharkattackmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about an ATO in 3rd chamber? I use the Tunze Osmolator, it’s awesome.
I'm kind of lacking on space at the moment but I was going to build a small one with a 12v relay our spare pump and a fishbowl. Cheap, easy and works.

That would be a very good idea though. Would give me much more room. I will look into it. Thanks!

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kind of lacking on space at the moment but I was going to build a small one with a 12v relay our spare pump and a fishbowl. Cheap, easy and works.

That would be a very good idea though. Would give me much more room. I will look into it. Thanks!
Dont know what stand you have, but was able to sneak this 5 gallon reservoir under mine..

Attachments

• 00A820A2-BD68-44E3-AB4A-4FC8CA26D066.jpeg
    00A820A2-BD68-44E3-AB4A-4FC8CA26D066.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 130

Galliente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new version of the coralife skimmer breaks in over time. Mine still has some micro bubble issues. Usually after I turn the skimmer off for an extended amount of time. To minimize the bubbles I either wrap the skimmer or block the top vents with filer floss.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back