Black Leopard Wrasse

eddius_maximus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one for the last few months - disappeared for 3 wks then was out for a day and them MIA for a further 2 wks. Now she's out for 4 to 5hrs a day. Constantly hunting for pods.

Apologies for resurrecting a VERY old thread.

My established Black Leopard Wrasse is fat and happy and active. But he disappeared two days ago, out of nowhere. I assumed he died until I read this post. ispookie666 did your Wrasse end up making it long-term?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how is she today. This is mine today. Very beautiful wrasse. This female was in my DT 6 months ago. I have another Male and Female in QT. This one change sex so I did not added my other two. Rather I sold them to my friend.
blackleopardwrasse2020030801-jpg.1462880

blackleopardwrasse2020030804-jpg.1462881

Beautiful fish. Do you deworm your Wrasse and if so...what meds?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish. Do you deworm your Wrasse and if so...what meds?
I don't deworm wrasses. I never deworm any fish, but I am thinking of deworm my Flame Angels. They have stingy poops but doing great, fat and spawned all the time. I am not 100% sure that stringy poops means worms. Becasue of this I am really on the fence here.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't deworm wrasses. I never deworm any fish, but I am thinking of deworm my Flame Angels. They have stingy poops but doing great, fat and spawned all the time. I am not 100% sure that stringy poops means worms. Becasue of this I am really on the fence here.

Thanks! I have not de-wormed my wrasse either and am always on the fence if I should or not. People always say they need to be dewormed but a few of mine were pretty skinny when I bought them and no longer have the pinched head and look really great now. I feed a lot just hoping if they have worms... I feed enough for them and the worms lol

It makes me feel better I am not the only one.

PhilSD211

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, beautiful fish! I've tried keeping normal leopard wrasses but no go. =( I probably wont try again unless i find one that readily eats frozen foods.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, beautiful fish! I've tried keeping normal leopard wrasses but no go. =( I probably wont try again unless i find one that readily eats frozen foods.
Leopard on the whole are difficult wrasse to get acclimated to captivity. Most of the easier ones are already hard. IMO, live food is a must to get them acclimated to captivity. This can be black worm or lots of pods. Once they eat well, and transition to frozen food, they can be hardy and fast wrasse, and can compete with all the other wrasses for food. I find that once they eat well, they eat everything, Flakes, pellets, mysis and hunt all day. Beautiful wrasse and trouble free once acclimated. They can be aggressive to new male leopards. On a whole, i a large tank, adding female leopards are no problem to me.

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found the easiest leopards are m moyeri and m ornatus. The ornate leopard looks very similar to other leopards, too. Moyer's leopard is a very cool wrasse, but definitely different in appearance than the typical macropharyngodon spp.

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get another black leopard, was keeping an eye on one but i'm worried my other 2 wrasses are gonna pick on it

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the other wrasses and how big is your tank?

It's a 120, and i have 3 wrasses in it, the cleaner i know won't bother it, other than check it out and make sure its okay. The other 2 are why I haven't gotten another one, they are a melanurus wrasse and an orange dot dash wrasse. The orange and melanurus went at it when the melanurus was introduce but now are happy with each other and the melanurus has put on some size

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man lovely fish!!!!! Never really thought much about the black leopard. Till seeing ur pics.
That is a flashing picture. Baseline much more black with only some iridescent green scales and white spots.

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a flashing picture. Baseline much more black with only some iridescent green scales and white spots.
Still like my fav in the background. Lol ur the leopard master huh lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back