Blue jaw trigger not eating?

oufanati

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s only been in my tank over 24 hours. I know if. At be too soon to start worrying but every other fish has always come out to eat on the second day. I fed frozen mysis today and he didn’t come out. Threw a clam in a half shell in there but the stupid neon dottyback and melanarus wrasse ran off with it before I could see if he would eat. Is waiting the best option? I do have some krill as well to try later.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue jaws can be very timid and may be intimidated to eat at first, so this is one fish that I say it is not time to panic. Internal parasites are a scourge today so you must be aware of that, and watch for stringy poo, lethargy, cloudy eyes, pinched belly, and the such; as this is one thing that contributes to a fish not eating. Broadcast feed a mash of various foods to see if he'll nibble, after a while they will take a wide variety of foods, but they will need something chunkier than mysis.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair in my tank and they are a bit skittish. It took some time before they would even stay out if I were in front of the tank. The male is more timid then the female. But once they're eating, they eat everything! When I feed, I step back and stay still to watch the fish eat.

OP
OP
oufanati

oufanati

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue jaws can be very timid and may be intimidated to eat at first, so this is one fish that I say it is not time to panic. Internal parasites are a scourge today so you must be aware of that, and watch for stringy poo, lethargy, cloudy eyes, pinched belly, and the such; as this is one thing that contributes to a fish not eating. Broadcast feed a mash of various foods to see if he'll nibble, after a while they will take a wide variety of foods, but they will need something chunkier than mysis.
I have Rod’s for the other fish. I’ll see if he will eat some krill then. He hid in his cave when I fed today.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its hiding when your feeding the fish then get a turkey baster and liberally squirt some food where its hiding and see if it eats some. Over the years I've had to do this with several skittish or new to the tank bullied fish and it works out good. On some fish you might have to do this for a couple of weeks till the fish settles in and comes out to feed with the other fish. If you can get some live brine I would start with those to get it to start eating then continue with your normal food. If you find one food the fish will eat no matter what it is then just feed it that for a while.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back