Blue tang scaring

samuel venner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I’ve had this blue tang for around two weeks when I brought him he had no signs of any illness. He is currently in a quarantine tank and isn’t medicated.

He has had these scars appear on his sides recently.

He does like to sit near rocks so I assume he is scraping himself against the rock and damaging his skin.

he is eating food when offered however isn’t very keen on nori clips just yet. He is getting suppliments with FISH V on frozen food. (Scares appeared before fish v)

Any ideas

32BFD498-9C3E-45BB-A2BB-F94D9C946709.jpeg 1A035360-E610-46E6-B9AB-9B726D40AC69.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all I’ve had this blue tang for around two weeks when I brought him he had no signs of any illness. He is currently in a quarantine tank and isn’t medicated.

He has had these scars appear on his sides recently.

He does like to sit near rocks so I assume he is scraping himself against the rock and damaging his skin.

he is eating food when offered however isn’t very keen on nori clips just yet. He is getting suppliments with FISH V on frozen food. (Scares appeared before fish v)

Any ideas

32BFD498-9C3E-45BB-A2BB-F94D9C946709.jpeg 1A035360-E610-46E6-B9AB-9B726D40AC69.jpeg
I do not see 'lines'. Can you either get a better picture - with brighter light - or put arrows on the photo where youre concerned? I do se a hazy area below the dorsal fin in the bottom picture - is that what you mean?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These are the scars that have appeared. He does this all day.
Added a video below
Some browsers do not support the R2R video - any chance you can post it to YouTube? (I cannot see it)

I was able to see it using a different browser. I assume you mean the 2 areas that are darkened circles.

How big is the tang itself?

What medications do you have available for treating possibly infected wounds (which is what they look like) - are they getting worse daily or did they just appear? Are there any other fish in the tank? I know its hard to get antibiotics in the UK

From the pictures its hard to say 'what' it is. But to me it could be a wound thats now getting infected - or another parasitic infection (early brook? skin flukes- doubt).

@Jay Hemdal, @vetteguy53081

Last edited:

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I can't see scars, it may be the quality. Blue tangs are odd in there behaviour at times and are good at scaring the jebesus out of you.

As far as fish disease experts on the furom @Jay Hemdal is the man. Some form of treatment is better then none from my experience

OP
OP
S

samuel venner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I can't see scars, it may be the quality. Blue tangs are odd in there behaviour at times and are good at scaring the jebesus out of you.

As far as fish disease experts on the furom @Jay Hemdal is the man. Some form of treatment is better then none from my experience

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I see the areas that look like a dull hazy area - which could be trauma, could be infection starting, could be another parasite (brook/flukes, etc).

Since you're in the UK - and medications are in short supply - what do you have available in your area? Have you done a FW dip?

I had written a longer response but it was not posted somehow. Will also tag @Jay Hemdal. In the meantime - can you respond to the questions - Thanks for reposting the video - I was able to see it with chrome.

EDIT - I now see my other post above.

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can also see a patch, I believe this could be stress or it could be bacterial. Blue tangs can change there pattern appearance over time as well, jay will be your best bet, thanks for sharing

OP
OP
S

samuel venner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the areas that look like a dull hazy area - which could be trauma, could be infection starting, could be another parasite (brook/flukes, etc).

Since you're in the UK - and medications are in short supply - what do you have available in your area? Have you done a FW dip?

I had written a longer response but it was not posted somehow. Will also tag @Jay Hemdal. In the meantime - can you respond to the questions - Thanks for reposting the video - I was able to see it with chrome.

EDIT - I now see my other post above.
Thank you medications are able to be brought just having to wait 2/3 days for delivery.

I have not done any FW Dips yet.

may local store has a fluke medication and anti bac med I may try tomorrow. If it’s in stock

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you medications are able to be brought just having to wait 2/3 days for delivery.

I have not done any FW Dips yet.

may local store has a fluke medication and anti bac med I may try tomorrow. If it’s in stock
Would you mind listing the ingredients / brand?

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish is definitely scratching and has marks as a result. Hopefully Jay H. with chime in.

Fish probably needs copper treatment.
Are there other fish in the tank too?

James Tucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from everything above.

Belly looks full, but if you are concerned with it not eating enough plant material, as you said it won't touch the nori, I'd try the small pellet version of Hikari Seaweed Extreme. A bit here and there as to not jack up nitrates/phosphates.

One thing I don't see mentioned above, if you are running carbon, ensure it is super well rinsed. I won't run anything with my tangs anymore other than ROX 0.8 rinsed in RO, and only for a few days at a time. I've had weird(er) behaviors with my blue tangs otherwise. (My larger Dori is 14 this year)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The
Aside from everything above.

Belly looks full, but if you are concerned with it not eating enough plant material, as you said it won't touch the nori, I'd try the small pellet version of Hikari Seaweed Extreme. A bit here and there as to not jack up nitrates/phosphates.

One thing I don't see mentioned above, if you are running carbon, ensure it is super well rinsed. I won't run anything with my tangs anymore other than ROX 0.8 rinsed in RO, and only for a few days at a time. I've had weird(er) behaviors with my blue tangs otherwise. (My larger Dori is 14 this year)
NO offense. I think this is wrong - in sense - long term there is information saying that Lateral line disease can be associated. I do not think this is the case here

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And PS - this does not look like lateral line

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back