Blue Tang Tank Size

JAAngelo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi: This is my first post. I am also new to reefing. I have a 55g tank and have 2 mocha clowns, a fire fish, and a lawnmower blenny. I also have a torch, montiporas, and favia. Along with a long tentacle anemone. My daughter wants me to get Dory. I understand that after a while, I will need to upgrade my tank which I will do when it grows. I am ahead of the game by researching 120g tank AIOs. My question is if a 55g is even large enough for a 1-4” blue tang? From my understanding, they require a considerable amount of space to swim.

stevolough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 inch hippo in a 425 along with 2 peculla clowns and a royal gamma. I’ve had it for several years. The others I’ve had for considerably longer. Originally they were in a 75. I keep a lot of open space in the tank so there’s plenty of swimming space. It does very well and Is fun to watch. I would like to add a few more fish but I know that would be a poor decision. A hippo in a 55 is not really a good idea. And it really limits you. If you are really planning on that 120 you will be ok but you will still need to not stock to heavy. Just my two cents.

Upvote 0

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi: This is my first post. I am also new to reefing. I have a 55g tank and have 2 mocha clowns, a fire fish, and a lawnmower blenny. I also have a torch, montiporas, and favia. Along with a long tentacle anemone. My daughter wants me to get Dory. I understand that after a while, I will need to upgrade my tank which I will do when it grows. I am ahead of the game by researching 120g tank AIOs. My question is if a 55g is even large enough for a 1-4” blue tang? From my understanding, they require a considerable amount of space to swim.
These fish come from the ocean. Doesn’t matter what size tank you put them in you’re limiting their swim space. Listen, if you know you’re not going to keep it in the 55, and it’s 1”-4”, get it. Make your daughter happy. If you decided to put it in a 55 and decide to rehome it once it gets too big then do it. Too many people successful doing their own thing. It’s a small size fish at the time of purchase, a 55 is good enough. Ain’t no different than if one was shipped to any fish store and was kept in a 20G for months because nobody buys it. It happens ALL THE TIME.

Upvote 0

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one in a 135. Started out at 2 " and within 6 months was approaching 6 inches. Also was extremely aggressive towards most other fish. Would be one of the last fish I would pick for your situation.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back