Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found my torch with what I believe to be brown jelly. I have no idea how it even got in my tank as I haven't added anything in over a month and done two water changes since, but now I'm at a loss on what to do.

I have another tank I've been cycling that is probably on week 4 now and I just don't know if I trust it enough to put it in that tank. But really my only options right now is either dip it (I heard Seachem Reef Dip can help) so I'm doing that, and put it in the cycling tank or risk it back in DT.

Would y'all put it in the new tank? Throw it out? I hate to say that but if I run a big risk infecting my frogspawn, dragon soul torch, and hammer, I rather not. Or try and go with it back in DT?

I've never had experience with this stuff, but have heard horror stories, but always thought it came on other corals and stuff. Didn't know it could just appear one day and now I'm really worried.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cut out any heads that have it and discard. I've never had any luck curing it. Look very close at it. Other heads were always fine after the removal.

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ime, it could be expelling waste, -- if it is brown jelly and is dieing, and your hoping for its recovery, separation would be better for now. if it is brown jelly , it CAN infect other euphyllia if they are susceptible to infection (previous injuries, fresh cuts , just fragged etc).

I used a microscope on it, and theres tons of little bugs in the jelly waste, they will not hesitate to spread to another weakened euphyllia

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it might have been waste, I've just never seen one side closed with this purple stuff coming off it and looking closely it's almost like the tips are blackish/brown.

I'll attach some pics after I dipped and let me know what you guys think.

IMG_20200402_102708.jpg IMG_20200402_103034.jpg IMG_20200402_103039.jpg IMG_20200402_103729.jpg

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will likely destroy the whole piece,
im curious if the dip will work though.

ideally cutting infected part off is best. ive heard people using glue to " cut off' the spread will work too

Back