BTA shrinking only when lights on

Csearl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had my BTA for about 1 month now and he is happy in the spot hes in as he isnt moving. Has been eating fine every few days and has paired with my 2 clownfish. At night when the light is off it inflates and triples in size. During the day when the lights on it deflates. Not sure if this is due to lighting as ive noticed the green tinge has gone from the colour which could suggest bleaching.

Can anyone please suggest if theres anything i can do or of anything im doing wrong.

All levels holding fine consistantly. Salinity is a little low at .24...

Thanks in advance...

20180730_204406.jpg

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely receiving too much light based on your observations. Turn the intensity down or shorten the photo-period for a few weeks and see how it responds. Any idea what PAR you're getting in that location?

OP
OP
C

Csearl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes typo...its .024.
Ive turned the intensity down about 20%. Light is on for 10 hours...what would you reccomend decreasing to?
I dont have a PAR meter.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lighting? How large is the tank? What was the intensity prior to the change? Corals/anemones will be fine for a long time in lower than ideal lighting but the response to high lighting does damage almost immediately.

OP
OP
C

Csearl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2 foot fluval marine/reef full spectrum. Tank is 160 litres. Bought from a shop where light was bright but probably not as intense as mine. I have been running mine on full strength. Have just decreased 20-30%.

Below pic shows light being off for 20 min and its already inflating again.

15329548370243430099556458979373.jpg

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh man, not the fluval marine lights again. There are a TON of people on this forum who have tried this light for BTAs and time and time again find that these are insufficient. The combination of spectrum and intensity of that unit is just super sub-optimal for Anemons. They'll grow some corals okay, but I can't tell you the number of threads I've seen just like this one and people have one of those lights.

OP
OP
C

Csearl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up! Due to the top configuration of my tank, a two foot led suits the best (corner tank with 2 foot opening on top of tank). What would you reccomend in a 2 foot range?

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are the dimensions of your tank and what is your price range?

Almost all of the LEDs out there today fall inside the 2 foot window. Everything from Kessils to cheaper Chinese Black Boxes on Amazon.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back