Bubba's SPS Journey

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! The powder blue is one of my favorite fish, I only wish it wasn't so aggressive.

I wanted a powder blue for a long time, but I have already had to re-home a couple aggressive tangs in the past. I ended up getting a naso instead. Not quite as pretty, but still attractive and very laid back.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted a powder blue for a long time, but I have already had to re-home a couple aggressive tangs in the past. I ended up getting a naso instead. Not quite as pretty, but still attractive and very laid back.

I forgot to mention your thread has been an inspiration. I went through a long stretch of SPS issues and seeing so many beautiful acros definitely kept me from throwing in the towel.
I thought I lucked out with my Powder blue as it was very calm for a long time. My hippo tang was always the boss of the tank but it wasn’t aggressive. Then one day I seen the powder blue start harassing the hippo tang and it hasn’t stopped since. He doesn’t do it all the time but since the hippo tang is the fish I have had the longest, I hate to see it get harassed.

Sps can be a pain and I’ve had my battle with keeping them alive also but once you get success again it’s the greatest feeling.

Last edited:

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I do not. I had a bad experience in the past with the rox carbon so I’ve been scared to use it. I need to put some in a bag in the sump though as I am getting some yellowing in the water that I can notice up against my white wall.

Have you added any carbon to deal with the water? I have noticed I am getting some yellowish/greenish tint in my water too.

If you did add some, how much and how did you do it?

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added any carbon to deal with the water? I have noticed I am getting some yellowish/greenish tint in my water too.

If you did add some, how much and how did you do it?
I did start carbon again but use it off and on. I do a mixture of the brs large size (forget the name) and rox carbon as I am still scared to go strictly rox. I use about 1 1/2 cups of the large and only a few tbsp of the rox. My water looks crystal clear now.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I did start carbon again but use it off and on. I do a mixture of the brs large size (forget the name) and rox carbon as I am still scared to go strictly rox. I use about 1 1/2 cups of the large and only a few tbsp of the rox. My water looks crystal clear now.

Thanks Bubba!

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @bubbaque for this beautiful thread!!
Greetings from Italy
Its always cool to see people following along from all over the world!

Bubba I missed it but what type of lighting are you using?
I have 4 tanks. Two use ATI T5 fixtures and SB reef bars and two tanks use radion G4 pros supplemented with t5's.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which combo gives the best color and growth in your opinion
I personally think the radions supplemented with t5's give much better color, at least for me they do. Pretty much all my favorites go in the tanks with that combo. No they don't sponsor me in the slightest way.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous tank!

Question...I was looking into getting a TCK New Dragon frag...so did a Google search and your thread popped up. Do you have one? I'm curious to see how it looks outside of TCK's website!
I finally got around to taking a pic of the TCK New Dragon for you. For me the body isn't red and the tips aren't yellow like their pic shows. Could be a light issue though as you can see most of it is shaded. I do like how it looks though, it's different than anything else I have.
TCK new dragon Dec 15.jpg

Last edited:

chefmur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubba,
Awesome thread read it all the way through, one question you mentioned your tank have some issues and some SPS turning brown and now have come back. How long did it take for that to happen, I have had some issues with Alk stability and a couple of my pieces have lost color especially my rainbow acros.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubba,
Awesome thread read it all the way through, one question you mentioned your tank have some issues and some SPS turning brown and now have come back. How long did it take for that to happen, I have had some issues with Alk stability and a couple of my pieces have lost color especially my rainbow acros.
All the way through !? Not many are willing to do that now as it's pretty long. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

I'm still not 100% sure what caused the issue but I did a whole bunch of water changes to reset things. I would say it took about 6 weeks until it started to look pretty good again. Some things are still trying to get there, like that ultra milli I posted a few days ago isn't back to 100% but it's close. I think once things turn stable again you start to see the beginning of the color return pretty fast (2 weeks) but could be 2-3 months before you are back to what it was.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back