Bubba's SPS Journey

guero130

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(lol)
1995 / Daughter inside our Oceanic Systems / 225 custom build.
Heather & Sam.jpg

____________________________________________________________________________________

Heather.jpg

Picture from Oceanic Systems during production

Build.jpg

Had to add these....

Triple layered bottom
Over Head.jpg
0815171816.jpg
0815171815b.jpg

Bubba,
Your new tank looks great!!

:)
I love this. My buddy said i had to get a "mermaid shot" when i put my 470 in, which should be in the next couple of weeks. The only issue is my wife is 7 months pregnant and probably not squeezing through the gap that will be between the tank and roof. So needless to say, you guys might get a mer-man pic of me [emoji6]

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that came together quick. Can you clarify or re post the process and timeline you did to fill it and add fish with the rapid cycle please? I’m in the midst of a similar upgrade to what you’re doing with all brand new stuff and want as many examples as I can get

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My maleficent frag that I got a while back is turning green. Seems healthy otherwise. Any ideas to try to get the red back?
It could be adjusting to your tank. Maybe even try higher par.

(lol)
1995 / Daughter inside our Oceanic Systems / 225 custom build.
Heather & Sam.jpg

____________________________________________________________________________________

Heather.jpg

Picture from Oceanic Systems during production

Build.jpg

Had to add these....

Triple layered bottom
Over Head.jpg
0815171816.jpg
0815171815b.jpg

Bubba,
Your new tank looks great!!

:)
That is a unique tank with those dimensions. Was it built just for that corner?

Can I play too:)

Something along the lines of "take your daughter to work day" lol!!

sorry, couldn't resist

New set up is looking sweet man!

IMG_0019.jpeg
I see she claimed that tank as her own. She even has the blankets and a tablet in there with her, lol

Man that came together quick. Can you clarify or re post the process and timeline you did to fill it and add fish with the rapid cycle please? I’m in the midst of a similar upgrade to what you’re doing with all brand new stuff and want as many examples as I can get
If you had tanks in a hot Florida garage you’d throw this together quickly also, haha. This is what I’ve done and it may crash and burn for all I know but I’m giving it a try.

I filled the tank of Wednesday of last week. I waited a day or two to let the salinity and temp settle. The fish that we’re in one of my frag tanks were added and I added a few large bottles of biospira. I added another large bottle of biospira for the next couple days. I’ve been feeding roughly 3-5 cubes worth of frozen PE mysis daily to make sure there was ammonia for the bacteria so it didn’t die. A couple days ago I checked and was happy to see there was 2.5ppm of nitrate. I’ve not a drained any of the nastiness from the PE mysis to make sure phosphate was also entering the tank.

Yesterday I added a few fresh cut frags as I want to see how things evolve. It’s only been 24hrs but so far so good with the frags having great PE.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be adjusting to your tank. Maybe even try higher par.

I see she claimed that tank as her own. She even has the blankets and a tablet in there with her, lol

If you had tanks in a hot Florida garage you’d throw this together quickly also, haha. This is what I’ve done and it may crash and burn for all I know but I’m giving it a try.

I filled the tank of Wednesday of last week. I waited a day or two to let the salinity and temp settle. The fish that we’re in one of my frag tanks were added and I added a few large bottles of biospira. I added another large bottle of biospira for the next couple days. I’ve been feeding roughly 3-5 cubes worth of frozen PE mysis daily to make sure there was ammonia for the bacteria so it didn’t die. A couple days ago I checked and was happy to see there was 2.5ppm of nitrate. I’ve not a drained any of the nastiness from the PE mysis to make sure phosphate was also entering the tank.

Yesterday I added a few fresh cut frags as I want to see how things evolve. It’s only been 24hrs but so far so good with the frags having great PE.

Similar to what I’m going to attempt. I’ve got a hot Texas garage I don’t feel comfortable putting my fish in. Temps obviously get into the 90’s this time a year. Though I may experiment with a fan and see how cool I can keep the water in a brute can.

I was going to put the fish and some old rock in a brute can for a few days and pull the old tank, set the new one up and fill it, dose 3 vials of bio digest and some ammonia and vodka. Wait a day. Dose another vial of biodigest, and ammonia, then test it on the third day and if temp and salinity are good, bring all the fish directly over.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah,
It's a one of a kind that Oceanic Systems built for that corner in 1995. I based the front off an Oceanic "Reef Ready" 110.
45 degree (glass) cuts all over that tank.

They displayed in a show at Chicago before we got in home.

We moved and sold it in 2000. It did not fit the new house right. The last I heard, it's still up and running in Florida.

(lol)
Our daughter is thirty now, and has three of her own children... ;Oldman

guero130

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always liked canopies on my tanks to hide the lights and wires along with hiding the water line. Still needs stain and a couple edge pieces buts it’s getting there.

D4414208-20FD-4364-9835-EB3E20BBDE70.jpeg
How thick is that pvc board on the bottom? And is it siliconed down or anything? Ive been contemplating doing the same but i dont really want to silicone it down.. but also dont want water to go stagnant under it either

Trevor40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do we get an after pic on how the stand turned out?

Adding corals to a new tank seems to do fine until the ugly stage rears its head and covers your corals. If you somehow could keep the dinos out and kill they cyano quickly you should be fine. I would not add any snails or crabs to your tank for at least a year. Just use the tangs to take care of algae.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How thick is that pvc board on the bottom? And is it siliconed down or anything? Ive been contemplating doing the same but i dont really want to silicone it down.. but also dont want water to go stagnant under it either
I wish I could tell you but I am not sure. It was something the builder offered as an upgrade. It is siliconed down and I figured if at any point I don't like bare bottom anymore I will just cover it with sand.

Do we get an after pic on how the stand turned out?

Adding corals to a new tank seems to do fine until the ugly stage rears its head and covers your corals. If you somehow could keep the dinos out and kill they cyano quickly you should be fine. I would not add any snails or crabs to your tank for at least a year. Just use the tangs to take care of algae.
You do get an after pic! It's on page 189 about half way down.

The ugly phase is what I am worried about. Hair algae and cyano doesn't scare me but if dino comes that's when I will worry. I have been lucky in the past to always kill dino with peroxide dosing. For me it's usually gone within 10 days.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait for you to post coral pics again haha. So all 3 of your tanks are coming down for this one huh? I almost wonder if you have enough room. I guess with a BB you can just tile the bottom with your SPS tiles anyways. I think it would look kinda cool honestly LOL
I added way more rock to the display than I normally ever would just to make sure I have enough room. Plus a lot of my lower end corals I am not bringing over.

I went and took a few quick pics just for you, Rakie.

This is a mini colony of PC Superman I have growing out in a frag tank. Not sure what I am going to do with it when I move everything over. Maybe I just mount it next to the larger colony.
Mini PC Superman-2.jpg

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could tell you but I am not sure. It was something the builder offered as an upgrade. It is siliconed down and I figured if at any point I don't like bare bottom anymore I will just cover it with sand.

The ugly phase is what I am worried about. Hair algae and cyano doesn't scare me but if dino comes that's when I will worry. I have been lucky in the past to always kill dino with peroxide dosing. For me it's usually gone within 10 days.
What’s your Dino/peroxide protocol bubba. I’ve got a case of dinos in my new frag setup. DinoX didn’t do anything except kill the starter frags I had in there.

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you elaborate on this? I have Dino’s now and they are driving me crazy!

Thanks

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your Dino/peroxide protocol bubba. I’ve got a case of dinos in my new frag setup. DinoX didn’t do anything except kill the starter frags I had in there.

Can you elaborate on this? I have Dino’s now and they are driving me crazy!

Thanks
I does 1ml per 10 gallons. I dose it at night. Make sure it’s fresh peroxide. Not everyone has it go away with peroxide but it always has for me. You generally won’t notice anything until around day 5-7 but then it’s almost gone overnight.

Here is a great thread on the topic of dosing peroxide for Dino.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-my-experience-h2o2-reefing-tool.52084/

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FoD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added way more rock to the display than I normally ever would just to make sure I have enough room. Plus a lot of my lower end corals I am not bringing over.

I went and took a few quick pics just for you, Rakie.

This is a mini colony of PC Superman I have growing out in a frag tank. Not sure what I am going to do with it when I move everything over. Maybe I just mount it next to the larger colony.
Mini PC Superman-2.jpg

Or...follow me here. Or, you could send it my way along with the others we discussed. :D

RandyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome
Thank you sir

I just wiped out my dino issue (dinoflagellate ostreopsis) using a UV sterilizer. A 57W aqua UV running 300gph on a system with 125 gallons total water volume. Took 3-4 days to make most of it disappear and by day 7 not a single trace of them. UV will work only for those dinos that live in the water column though. I think it's worth the effort to identify them under a microscope.

I have a post showing what my dinos looked like under a microscope and the brown snot it looked like in the bucket.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/r...-of-the-coral-farm.569126/page-3#post-6113180

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wiped out my dino issue (dinoflagellate ostreopsis) using a UV sterilizer. A 57W aqua UV running 300gph on a system with 125 gallons total water volume. Took 3-4 days to make most of it disappear and by day 7 not a single trace of them. UV will work only for those dinos that live in the water column though. I think it's worth the effort to identify them under a microscope.

I have a post showing what my dinos looked like under a microscope and the brown snot it looked like in the bucket.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/r...-of-the-coral-farm.569126/page-3#post-6113180
Awesome. It’s a small frag tank so I’ll throw a UV in there too. Thanks

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I does 1ml per 10 gallons. I dose it at night. Make sure it’s fresh peroxide. Not everyone has it go away with peroxide but it always has for me. You generally won’t notice anything until around day 5-7 but then it’s almost gone overnight.

Here is a great thread on the topic of dosing peroxide for Dino.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-my-experience-h2o2-reefing-tool.52084/

No downside to this? Anyone experience any fish or sps issues while dosing h2o2?

Might give it a try.

Thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back