Bubba's SPS Journey

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottom will be covered before you know it with whatever you collect. Mine is covered with war coral, cyphastera, chalices, fungia, etc. it’s not my favorite stuff, but it’s colorful. I didn’t plan it that way for sure. After a decade of a starboard bottom, I ditched it and have only glass there and prefer it. Detritus and junk eventually made it under the board to rot away, and that always freaked me out.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input. I’ll probably stick with bare bottom and try to grow a bunch of corals on the bottom to try and cover the coralline.

I vote sand, what sand would u use if u decided to?
I would only use tropic eden reef flakes.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily I’ve never had a single asterina. I don’t think I’ll add any either, haha.

I have hundreds, just say the word and I'll send you a 10lb bag of 'em !

And mine aren't the ones that eat corals either (that's a whole can of worms with miss ID'd stars)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Need some opinions.

I went bare bottom on this tank with a white pvc board bottom as I figured I could scrape it and keep it white to kinda look like sand. Well today I tried to scrape the coralline and it’s near impossible to come off and not easy like glass. I don’t really want to have a pink bottom but I also hate always having particles from sand floating around the tank.

Do I add sand to cover the pink or think I should just stick with having it pink to avoid the particles and a nutrient sink?

Tank was setup two months ago and this is the bottom today.
F3C0BD1D-22BA-4FEC-A839-0BB066AD926A.jpeg

I have mounted digis and other lower light branchers to the bottom glass for a nice effect actually. they grow outward pretty fast and branch up. may help breakup the bottom a bit.

eran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great inspiring thread! Look forward to following a great experienced reefer.

I just set up a 60x30x24 bare bottom. It’s been running for about 3 months. I qted all my fish for awhile and left my lights off. Lights have been on for a month. It’s just starting to get hints of algae. I have been hesitant to start throwing in any corals yet.

panui22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank is 360 gallons and the dimensions are 8 x 3 x 2. No I’m not keeping any of the frag tanks. Right now I only have 1 of the 3 still going and that one should also be gone this weekend.

Are you going to sell any of your frag tanks? I’ve been looking for one to plumb into my display.

Jen_h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made sure to get caught up again and next thing you know it’s 3:30am lol
Congrats on the amazing new tank!!!!!
Side note I just lost my wwc budgie smuggler as well. I should have brought it to Tys [emoji17]
It was doing really well but just stayed a neon green color this whole time. Figured I would move it up to see what happened. Well it ended up getting really stressed and never recovered. I should have just left it alone [emoji2358]

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is time for the monthly tank shot.
About the bottom, once the coral take off and block the light to the bottom, the coraline will reduce its growing rate.
I would take just some temporary measures for the moment and had great success with a collector urchin (Tripneustes gratilla).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back