Bubba's SPS Journey

Trevor40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened to me with PO4. I was purposely dosing to fight off dinos and added too much and I had above 2.5! At first corals colored up and then a week later they started to brown. I also noticed that growth halted to a snails pace. GFO didn't help me at all but the liquid PO4 removers did. I now am at 0.2 and still see the need to lower it. I agree that acros are not happy at high PO4 levels.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened to me with PO4. I was purposely dosing to fight off dinos and added too much and I had above 2.5! At first corals colored up and then a week later they started to brown. I also noticed that growth halted to a snails pace. GFO didn't help me at all but the liquid PO4 removers did. I now am at 0.2 and still see the need to lower it. I agree that acros are not happy at high PO4 levels.
Maybe some tanks who are accustomed to having high po4 don't have any issues but I haven't had any issues in my tank in a long time until my po4 went high. It's possible that the issue was just the spike with po4 and not the actual number but I have lowered my po4 back down to .04 as of this morning.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry to hear, random background info. GFO has a high capacity, but pulls GFO out of water slower than aluminum removers. Where Phosguard can be used up in 4 days, GFO might take two weeks. The liquid is instant removal. There is the danger of overdoing all of them of course

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ARC Patrick Star
Arc Patrick star Oct 2.jpg

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do enjoy look at high quality, healthy, top shelf sps, of course, but I have to be honest sometimes they start looking quite similar in many cases. I'd never keep them all straight as to which is which!

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do enjoy look at high quality, healthy, top shelf sps, of course, but I have to be honest sometimes they start looking quite similar in many cases. I'd never keep them all straight as to which is which!
I agree and maybe if I didn't take pics to share I would probably forget a lot of the names also.

Because of him I just looked up your insta! You have one more follower now!
Thanks! I share a lot of the same stuff here but I do share stuff over there that I don't here.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey bubba, not sure if this is in the thread or not but how high are the lights off your frag tanks?
The tank with the ATI fixture is 20" off the water and the radion t5 combo is 16" off the water.

ashr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank with the ATI fixture is 20" off the water and the radion t5 combo is 16" off the water.

That is really high but I guess you have a big tank. I have 26HD and 4 T5's about 11-12" off the water but only a Red Sea Reefer 170 tank so pretty small.. I wounder if I should raise it up a bit

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is really high but I guess you have a big tank. I have 26HD and 4 T5's about 11-12" off the water but only a Red Sea Reefer 170 tank so pretty small.. I wounder if I should raise it up a bit
That is the height of the fixtures on my frag tanks, which are only 10" deep. The water isn't filled to the brim of the tanks and after the eggcrate and tiles, the corals are probably in 8" of water. With the t5 fixture that high I still get 450 par in the middle and 350 around the edges.

With the reefer 170 being 20" deep I wouldn't raise the lights up.

ashr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the height of the fixtures on my frag tanks, which are only 10" deep. The water isn't filled to the brim of the tanks and after the eggcrate and tiles, the corals are probably in 8" of water. With the t5 fixture that high I still get 450 par in the middle and 350 around the edges.

With the reefer 170 being 20" deep I wouldn't raise the lights up.

That makes sense, thanks Bubba! I will leave it at 11" off the water. Once I check my Par I will adjust as needed.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instagram... Check!!!
So where do we go exactly for that beer and ARC Patrick Star?
I can bring some Belgian trappist that will make you see more colours than your coral have. Lol.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back