OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I joined the BC growout contest and to possibly get a growth advantage I started to feed a ton of reef roids. My tank usually runs pretty low nutrients no matter how much I feed. Well turns out there is a huge difference in my homemade frozen food compared to reef roids. My po4 went up from .01 to .2 in a couple weeks. When I did the phosphate test I almost fainted, lol.

Color disappeared on a several acros and growth tips gone on a few others. Before my phosphates shot up I would of said color and growth couldn’t have gotten any better.

Wether it’s the quick rise of phosphates or the actual number I don’t know but I’m not going to leave my phosphates high to find out. I increased my chaeto light to help but it wasn’t helping as much as I would of liked. I started running gfo a few days ago to help.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t tested p04 or nitrates in six months
I didn’t test all that often either as they were always low. I happened to test at the start of the contest as people were posting their starting parameters and mine were low. A couple weeks into the contest I started noticing color lose so I tested po4. I was shocked at the number to say the least.

McPikie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's so close to the top of the water it's hard to take a top down pic and keep the porthole viewer in the water. Here is the best I could do to try and get a pic of the whole thing.

May I recommend using something like this

2018-08-14_09-12-37 by Phil Cookson, on Flickr

Obviously you have to eat ALL the chocolate first, but the perspex lid placed on the water works a treat as a coral viewer

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's so close to the top of the water it's hard to take a top down pic and keep the porthole viewer in the water. Here is the best I could do to try and get a pic of the whole thing.

Pink Lemonade.
Pink lemonade Sep 25.jpg

:( I just lost my whole colony. Lovely piece bud

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! What happened?

Honestly not too sure. I know a chunk of food got stuck in it for a day so I blew it out. That little part that died lost a little tissue. Ever since it just kept going and never stopped. It’s a bummer because it made it through the tank move and everything.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly not too sure. I know a chunk of food got stuck in it for a day so I blew it out. That little part that died lost a little tissue. Ever since it just kept going and never stopped. It’s a bummer because it made it through the tank move and everything.

Sorry to hear...
May I recommend using something like this

2018-08-14_09-12-37 by Phil Cookson, on Flickr

Obviously you have to eat ALL the chocolate first, but the perspex lid placed on the water works a treat as a coral viewer

That's an Awesome idea!

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has me so jealous! My piece doesn’t even look half As good as this
Thanks! Did you get your frag from pirates?

I just think its incredibly brave of @bubbaque to routinely post macro shots of his garbage browned out corals. I think someone needs to talk to @revhtree about a new bravery banner.
The macros make them larger than they are, lol. It's also really the only way to see all the subtle colors.
3QCY.gif

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! Did you get your frag from pirates?

The macros make them larger than they are, lol. It's also really the only way to see all the subtle colors.
Man, your display and frag tank are fire. Seriously! I wish I could get into SPS but I just never have the space or time to really commit to it. Reading your thread is fun. "He lives in Florida like me... his success is my success!" :p

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea his colony is something else! with the different growth pattern it just looks so much better than when you compare it to a floyd
I never even heard of the Sun God until I was just browsing his site. His colony pic is what sold it for me.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this coral for a while but originally had it in my display. One day I noticed a coral buried in the sand and when I pulled it out there was only about 1/8 - 1/4" left of it alive. Around that same time I was setting up my frag tank, so I said what the heck and just threw it in there not knowing if it would even survive. It still is very small but I am happy to see it still growing. The tips lost some of the vibrancy it had with the phosphate swing but overall it still looks pretty good.

Brads insane defuego
Brads insane de fuego.jpg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great.
WWC Sun God is omg.

Insane Del Fuego is on fire.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back