OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think the secret to success with sps is having a good Tang to Arco ratio and ignoring numbers.
If the tang part is true I think I got that one covered, haha.

No build threads, we should. We set up and take care of hundreds of tanks. Led, t5, mh.. Every tank is sooo different. Nutrient levels are all over the place and so different :)
I remember seeing you on brs. Some impressive tanks for sure.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think the secret to success with sps is having a good Tang to Arco ratio and ignoring numbers.
I wish I could have a tang ratio, I really like my smaller tanks but finding a good crew to deal with algae is impossible. Lots of people think algae is a bad but personally I have never dove on a reef without algae (and I have dove on quite a few) there just happen to be tons of herbivores to keep it in check. I saw UWC jumped on here I’m trying out their Vibrant to see if that helps with the bubble algae since I can’t have a Fox face. If not I guess I stick with my tweezers acting as my clean up crew

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that a lot of people have moved away from ulns, just my opinion but I think the corals are well fed, healthier and less easily stressed and or better able to deal with little changes.

Da8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals looked the exact same. You would never be able to tell my nitrate was 50 and my po4 was .22.

I would of left it but it’s been pounded into my head to keep nitrate and phosphate as low as possible and that prevents me from relaxing when I see numbers that high even if everything is fine. With my current numbers I can relax and not worry.

What levels are low for you? It's difficult for me to understand your answer sorry!!

I'm kind of confuse of the appropriate nutrient levels we shod keep. We are all in that mess, for sure.

We've seen everything. But there must be an explanation for it.

I can't buy keeping them high without any reference when nsw is minimum.

And I'm not an ulns fan, that's for sure.

michael giordano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop chasing numbers when it comes to nitrate and phosphate. Stay consistent on Alk, calcium, magnesium and salinity and your tank will thrive.

C0CFE45B-483C-4068-A545-3AA6D2F1B456.jpeg

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What levels are low for you? It's difficult for me to understand your answer sorry!!

I'm kind of confuse of the appropriate nutrient levels we shod keep. We are all in that mess, for sure.

We've seen everything. But there must be an explanation for it.

I can't buy keeping them high without any reference when nsw is minimum.

And I'm not an ulns fan, that's for sure.
I guess what I was trying to say is I don’t think it matters as much as once believed what your levels are. There are more and more examples of this all the time.

The only thing I wouldn’t want is to be at 0 for nitrate or phosphate and combine that with little food. If someone is setting up a tank and plans to put one or two little fish in it and think it’s going to be okay, it’s probably not.

This article about the parameters of the masters is a good read. There is also a follow up article that’s just as good.

Da8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read ir a few times... It's so interesting!!

None keep ulns and I guess N levels even that vary, don't affect significantly while N are measurable.

PO4 possibly always has to be lower but compensated for not having ciano.

Who knows... I'm not obsessed. Still lowering density. Until then got time to decide.

As always congrats for your tank and your attitude!!!

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one that I thought might not make it when I transferred tanks. When I first moved it I put it too close to a powerhead and it blew the skin off the whole backside. If you look at the left and upper left of the pic you can see the skin growing outward and that was because when the coral tried to regrow over the dead skeleton it couldn't because the flow was so strong so it had no choice but to grow out to the side.

TGC Cherry bomb
Cherry bomb by Raul Rivas, on Flickr

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much light are you giving the starburst? I'm about to place mine in its permanent home in the display so just curious ...
It is receiving 375 par.

you just run in another league.

When I grow up I want my SPS to look like yours.

PS:
IMO Your jawdropper looks impressive (got any photosof when you thought it was?)
Thank you sir! That is a great compliment but there are many who grow impressive sps, I just try and share nice pics of them.

I didn't quit understand your last question but I think you were asking what should the coral look like. Here is a pic from Mike Biggar when he had a colony of it.
1573576721914.png

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back