Bubba's SPS Journey

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thats light effiency for growth.
If light makes coral change color is another thing.
My most beautiful coral is a Montipora digitata but thats only under Par about 500. In that light it is clear light red to pink. Under 200 par it grows much faster but is pale orangered. In strong light the corals forms light protecting proteins and many times they have what we see as the best color. But it takes a lot of energy to do that and the coral grows slower. These substances grow slow and thats why we have to go slow when we increase the light.

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATED FTS of all tanks as of December 2018

Display 180

FTS Jan 27.jpg

Frag tank 50 gallon
Left frag tank Dec 17.jpg

Frag tank 50 gallon
Right frag tank Dec 17.jpg

I don't really share much pics but I figured I would start so I can document my journey and sps growth. I will upload new photos of new sps as I get them or have time to take more photos. Here are a few to start with.

JKR rainbow.png

JKR rainbow
Pink Lemonade.png

Pink Lemonade
BC Secale.png

BC Secale
TSA Princess Peach.png

TSA Princess Peach
Confetti January.png

Vivids Confetti
Wow! Nice

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking along the lines of the “was it just the growth?” argument, you could try two things:
First, move the colony back to the T5’s and see if the greens go away
Second, frag off a few pieces, putting one frag under t5 and one frag under LED, see if the greens stay or go away in one or both frags.
Interesting observation either way
I no longer have t5’s

Here’s an excerpt from some notes I took

Reef LED science

“corals respond best to wavelengths between 400-550 nanometers and 620-700 nanometers” -

“Corals found in shallow reefs and tide pools receive a greater portion of the light spectrum and intensity of natural sunlight because there is not enough water to significantly filter the light (water absorbs certain wavelengths of light more readily than others). Blue light penetrates the deepest and that is why the water appears bluish at deeper depths. Corals found in deeper parts of the reef depend on more of the blue spectrum and less intense light.”

orphek-DIF-XP.jpeg

https://orphek.com/about/about-corals/

Spectrum20Nodes.jpeg

“The cross point of Chlorophyll A and C is 447nm, that is where Zooxanthallae are most efficient. We hit it very hard. Also note 420nm is where Chlorophyll A peaks and we hit that hard as well.”

“note 420nm is a trigger wavelength that tricks corals into thinking they are in shallower water, resulting in development of more protective pigment "Color". Note we don't hit the 470nm peak of Chlorophyll C as hard, there is a valid reason for this. Chlorophyll C saturates at a lower photon energy, and has a much lower density in most typical corals than Chlorophyll A. This means adding more energy there adds no value after a point.”

“cartenoids absorb the 490nm wavelength and convert the energy into a source the chloroplast can better use.”

“We also hit the 660nm peaks of Chlorophyll A&C. Finally we have 395nm True UV, which not only adds to coral flourescence, but development of protective color pigments by again tricking the coral into thinking it's in shallower water.”

“For our white channel, we have just enough green and yellow for aesthetics, with the bulk of diodes in the 14K range. We also have 20K diodes, something no other black box has. This provides for a crisp white with hints of blue.”

https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-nano-reeffuge/7-sbox-sprite-reef-nano.html

Reef-Output-Plot-768x551.jpeg
1606932263297.gif

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @bubbaque could you send me your radion schedule please?
I don’t remember it off the top of my head but If Mobius would ever work I could send you a screen shot of it...

Hello Paul, how are things going? Has the new tank settled in yet? Hope all is well.
Not sure who Paul is but I’ll assume you meant Bubba, haha.

Tank is doing well overall. I had some cyano and a little dino pop up and I did a 3 day blackout to get rid of it but the blackout lightened my corals a little.

I plan to get a few new corals tomorrow from Top shelf aquatics and I also got a new camera I’m excited to use.

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you having issues with Möbius? I just bought a couple used xr30 pros that won’t connect to ESL and ecotech is trying to get me to switch everything to Mobius. I’m pretty comfortable with ESL and the old app.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you having issues with Möbius? I just bought a couple used xr30 pros that won’t connect to ESL and ecotech is trying to get me to switch everything to Mobius. I’m pretty comfortable with ESL and the old app.
Mobius is horrible in my opinion. It wont connect to devices, will randomly lose devices, won’t let you change any settings and the list goes on and on. I spend a lot of time power cycling my lights to get them to connect again.

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the reeflink is trash to. Mine says it’s connected with the blue ring, but I can’t control the lights at all unless I unplug the reeflink and once it goes from the yellow green red ring to the blue I have a ten second window to play with the lights before it freezes and gets locked . Technology is terrible, nothing beats the cheap old timers.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the reeflink is trash to. Mine says it’s connected with the blue ring, but I can’t control the lights at all unless I unplug the reeflink and once it goes from the yellow green red ring to the blue I have a ten second window to play with the lights before it freezes and gets locked . Technology is terrible, nothing beats the cheap old timers.
I’ve had decent luck with both WXM module with apex and Mobius. I don’t like Mobius right now because I can’t program the lights differently for the whole “system”. Unless I just don’t know how but it’s frustrating that I can’t.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The agree the Reeflink is horrible also but usually if I unplug it and plug it back in it works....for a little while.

Maybe need to use the WXM like Ty.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grabbed a few corals from Top Shelf Aquatics yesterday. I will share the pics over the week.

I already have a Cherry Bomb but theirs looked so nice I figured I would grab another.

Cherry Bomb

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back