Butterfly fish in Reefs

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R really needed a Butterfly thread. Please post your experiences with Butterfly fish in a reef.

Heres a pic of my lone Butterfly but theres more to come.

Chelmon muelleri
PICT0176.jpg
[/IMG]

The only thing that he's nipped so far is my Purple Stylo but he doesn't really do any damage. He's my favorite, I wouldn't kick him out if he did eat it.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish Brett!! Did you have any difficulty getting him to eat? Do you have any feather dusters or clams? I've always been weary to add a butterfly because I'm afraid my coco worms & clams will become dinner

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where I don't have a reef, this is my first experience with a butterfly outside of a copperband. Its a Spotfin Butterfly from LiveAquaria. He did pick on my sea fans that I had in there and they really never opened up much after that so I took them out. He eats mysis and other frozen food really well, but not pellets. He's one of the few fish that utilize the cleaner shrimp very often...actually, I credit him to getting the cleaner shrimp cleaning in the first place, as he would float around them forever until they finally started doing their thing.

DSC_3095.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish Brett!! Did you have any difficulty getting him to eat? Do you have any feather dusters or clams? I've always been weary to add a butterfly because I'm afraid my coco worms & clams will become dinner

Thanks, he was a little tricky at first. It took me a few weeks in QT before he would eat much more than live black worms. I trained him to eat from my hand and now he begs like a puppy. My home made food is a big favorite with him now along with any type of worm. He would most likely eat coco worms but I think clams might be alright. I don't keep either though so I'm not positive.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where I don't have a reef, this is my first experience with a butterfly outside of a copperband. Its a Spotfin Butterfly from LiveAquaria. He did pick on my sea fans that I had in there and they really never opened up much after that so I took them out. He eats mysis and other frozen food really well, but not pellets. He's one of the few fish that utilize the cleaner shrimp very often...actually, I credit him to getting the cleaner shrimp cleaning in the first place, as he would float around them forever until they finally started doing their thing.

DSC_3095.jpg

Beautiful fish Bryan.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marinelife your pyramids are beautiful, I see a zoster in there too!!!!

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets keep this going, show me your Butterflies.

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although he is very common, and often overlooked, he is the maintenance man in my reef. He literally wiped out every aptasia and manjano I had in there. Wouldn't trade him for anything.

Kleins.

005-7.jpg

reefknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would love to include a butterfly in my reef display, but am looking for one that is safe with mainly SPS & LPS. I only keep a few soft corals, couple of mushrooms and zoos/ palys. Any recommendations or thoughts would be appreciated. Current inhabitants are a Magnificent Foxface, pair of B/W clowns, male Pylei & male Pink Margin wrasses and a trio of Bartlett anthias. Future fish will be a blonde Naso tang, 2-3 more Bartlett s, a Mandarin, and a blenny/ goby of some sorts. (Haven't decided)

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill, while I wouldn't call any of them 100 percent safe, copperbands and longnose are among the safest.

reefknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that in the past, along with Pyramid's. Attempting to get the Pyramid's though has been really difficult, almost impossible with local suppliers.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pyramids and Zoster are also good choices. By getting through, do you mean keeping alive?

reefknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just acquiring them seems difficult. None of the LFS that I frequent never stock them and have been unable for over a year to obtain them as well. I have no idea why, as I didn't believe them to be that scarce. I haven't kept a butterfly since the late 90's in a FOWLR display. I had a Lineatus Butterfly that I loved and was healthy until the addition of a Flame Angel. Stress brought on ich and wiped out most of my display. Had the Butterfly for over 2yrs, what a loss.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why they've been so scarce but I have seen a few here and there.

lightsluvr

Tangaroa to 500 gallons
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my Copperband - he's been my guest for three years... doesn't bother anyone and plays well with my tangs.

LL

Attachments

• Copperband1.jpg
    Copperband1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 227

Cmurl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a saddleback butterfly who is very well behaved in my reef. I know this is not the normal but I got very lucky. I will post picture later.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anymore butterflies? Cmurl you owe us a pic, LOL.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back