Hardy_Reef

Hardy_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, do I have the update for y'all... We'll start with the tank itself:

Since the last update, AlgaeBarn sent me the correct return nozzles (with the 90 degree elbows) for the peninsula. They did so free of charge and were relatively responsive, so thumbs up there. Then came the installation, and quite possibly my only legitimate gripe with a Cade Aquarium. Replacing the return nozzles required me to remove the two return lines from the bulkheads under the tank because the flexible tubing "buffer" makes it impossible to do so. I thought I could be slick, shut down the return pump and drain out the overflow box to swap out the nozzles. I miscalculated, BADLY. Even with prepping for some minor water intrusion I wasn't ready. The subsequent flow of water ended up destroying my Profilux 4 controller and Doser 2.1 housed on the shelf in the dry cabinet (fortunately the KHD and second Doser were unharmed). What followed was an hours-long ordeal of installing and readjusting the flexible tubing to fit inside the overflow box without kinking. Eventually, I was successful with the help of a friend and water is diverted down the length of the tank as opposed to the sides. (yay).

Long story short: I understand Cade's motivation for the PVC/ Flexible tubing hybrid may to keep costs down by offering one part that fits all of their tanks, but the reparability and the use of the metal "stainless steel" hose clamps make me question the longevity without having to drain the whole system or take everything apart. For once, I think the Red Sea solution to the return lines is the better option

I placed an order for a new Profilux 4 and doser that day, but I was running without a controller for around a week. Due to using Profilux as the temperature controller, that also meant no heaters. Fortunately, it's Florida so I was never under 75 degrees Fahrenheit. The new equipment arrived and was installed without a hitch; because I had recently backed-up my Profilux settings, all I had to do was upload them to the new unit.

Livestock update:

I'm pleased to report that even after FloodGate, there was no significant or noticeable crash. Once the system stabilized, I ended up adding a Hippo Tang and a Diamond Goby. Both animals settled in nicely and I think 4 tangs is adequate for a tank this size. Once the tank is more established, I'd like to source a Mandarin and maybe try my hand at a captive-bred Copperband when they become available.

I've been on a kick for ORA's acropora, both their legacy corals as well as their Marshall Island Maricultured species. I also put an order in to Adam at Battlecorals, who never disappoints.

I'll include a full battery of photos in a following post.

OP
OP
Hardy_Reef

Hardy_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20230404_145602401.jpg
PXL_20230404_145620158.jpg
IMG_20230327_153724_664.jpg
IMG_20230328_143054_562.jpg
PXL_20230404_145642271.jpg
IMG_20230323_110047_263.jpg

Longatto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still looking great!

question: Neptune sky and GHL?

OP
OP
Hardy_Reef

Hardy_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still looking great!

question: Neptune sky and GHL?
Yes, they obviously don't communicate but I'm happy with them. The SKYs upgraded Hydra 26s I had on a previous build. They were recommended and readily available from my LFS. I plunged into GHL with just a doser and expanded that ecosystem. In a perfect world I'd like to see what the Mitras have to offer, but the corals are happy with the SKYs, so I'm leaving it alone.

pikadab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im thinking of gettign the same tank. are you using the bigger reef mat or smaller one? Did you cut the baffles? thanks in advance

pikadab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the thing im worried about this tank is that there aren't any eurobraces, i feel like every tank thats 150gal+ has a eurobrace

OP
OP
Hardy_Reef

Hardy_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im thinking of gettign the same tank. are you using the bigger reef mat or smaller one? Did you cut the baffles? thanks in advance
I'm using the larger of the two reefmats and cut the filter sock baffles out with razor blades and fishing line.

OP
OP
Hardy_Reef

Hardy_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the thing im worried about this tank is that there aren't any eurobraces, i feel like every tank thats 150gal+ has a eurobrace
The glass on this tank is very thick and the silicone work is very well done. If I had any larger tank I would want some sort of bracing, but this tank has been solid so far.

OP
OP
Hardy_Reef

Hardy_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Cade is nearly 10 months old at this point. A lot has happened since the last update, but here goes:

Equipment:
1) Lighting: The Neptune SKYs were replaced by 3 GHL Mitras LX7s (7206). The spectrum was tuned from what ReefBum is using on his peninsula tank; the intensity was slowly ramped up to 90%.
2) Flow: There are now 4 EcoTech MP40s on the overflow side and a Red Sea ReefWave 45 on the far end. The MP40s switch between Tidal Swell and Gyre modes and the ReefWave is set on Random.
3) Auto water changes were set up using the GHL Maxi 2.2 and change approximately 4-5 gallons per day
4) I initially set up a refugium with an AI Fuge in the sump, but that has recently been converted to a frag section lit by a 12" AI Blade Grow

Salt:
After bouncing from Aquaforest to Red Sea blue bucket, I finally just settled on Tropic Marin Pro Reef

Dosing:
1) Kalkwasser (continuous until desired pH is attained)
2) ReefPro 2-part (only if desired pH is met and alkalinity is below target)
3) Tropic Marin NP Bacto-Balance
4) Captiv8 Aquaculture Isol8 MT with added Manganese and Nickel (as necessary per ICP)

Fish Stock:
1) Gem Tang
2) Powder Brown Tang
3) Tomini Tang
4) Hippo Tang
5) Black Ocellaris Clown
6) Ocellaris Clown
7) Royal Gramma
8) PJ Cardinal
9) Blue/Green Chromis (8)
10) Firefish
11) Diamond Goby
12) Melanarus Wrasse
13) Rose-Vieled Wrasse
14) Orangeback Wrasse
15) Japanese Swallowtail Angelfish
16) Lyretail Anthias (6)

Latest test results:
Alk: 8.6
Ca: 450
Mg: 1260
NO³: 5.7
PO4: 0.09 1000002290-01.jpeg PXL_20231114_022138119.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20231031_003735807.jpg 1000002219-01.jpeg

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Cade is nearly 10 months old at this point. A lot has happened since the last update, but here goes:

Equipment:
1) Lighting: The Neptune SKYs were replaced by 3 GHL Mitras LX7s (7206). The spectrum was tuned from what ReefBum is using on his peninsula tank; the intensity was slowly ramped up to 90%.
2) Flow: There are now 4 EcoTech MP40s on the overflow side and a Red Sea ReefWave 45 on the far end. The MP40s switch between Tidal Swell and Gyre modes and the ReefWave is set on Random.
3) Auto water changes were set up using the GHL Maxi 2.2 and change approximately 4-5 gallons per day
4) I initially set up a refugium with an AI Fuge in the sump, but that has recently been converted to a frag section lit by a 12" AI Blade Grow

Salt:
After bouncing from Aquaforest to Red Sea blue bucket, I finally just settled on Tropic Marin Pro Reef

Dosing:
1) Kalkwasser (continuous until desired pH is attained)
2) ReefPro 2-part (only if desired pH is met and alkalinity is below target)
3) Tropic Marin NP Bacto-Balance
4) Captiv8 Aquaculture Isol8 MT with added Manganese and Nickel (as necessary per ICP)

Fish Stock:
1) Gem Tang
2) Powder Brown Tang
3) Tomini Tang
4) Hippo Tang
5) Black Ocellaris Clown
6) Ocellaris Clown
7) Royal Gramma
8) PJ Cardinal
9) Blue/Green Chromis (8)
10) Firefish
11) Diamond Goby
12) Melanarus Wrasse
13) Rose-Vieled Wrasse
14) Orangeback Wrasse
15) Japanese Swallowtail Angelfish
16) Lyretail Anthias (6)

Latest test results:
Alk: 8.6
Ca: 450
Mg: 1260
NO³: 5.7
PO4: 0.09 1000002290-01.jpeg PXL_20231114_022138119.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20231031_003735807.jpg 1000002219-01.jpeg
This is awesome.

I have the same tank and have two MP60s on the return side. But I need flow on the opposite end to push surface build up. I want to to put a gyre on there like you have the reef wave mounted but how did you run the line?

Also, I’m having a frustrating time keeping the water level in the tank low enough. Mine seems to always want to keep the water line half way up the CADE logo etched on the glass. I’d rather run 1/2” below the logo.

OP
OP
Hardy_Reef

Hardy_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome.

I have the same tank and have two MP60s on the return side. But I need flow on the opposite end to push surface build up. I want to to put a gyre on there like you have the reef wave mounted but how did you run the line?

Also, I’m having a frustrating time keeping the water level in the tank low enough. Mine seems to always want to keep the water line half way up the CADE logo etched on the glass. I’d rather run 1/2” below the logo.
I'm a big fan of your build! I got the wire extension for the ReefWave and ran it along the inside of the tank just above the waterline using clear 3M cable clips.

As for the water line, mine naturally sits at or just below the etched CADE logo. I let the water sit right at the rim of the emergency overflow, there's usually a constant trickle of water through that drain. Hope this helps!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back