Calcium/Magnesium/Alkalinity/PH

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried the Red Sea Reef Energy Coral nutrition A/B ?
What effects does it have on calcium and magnesium? How can the calcium and mag dip and rise without doing anything? Started dosing Alkalinity by Red Sea. Need to get CO2 to get my calcium reactor running. Who’s used a calcium reactor and how has it affected your levels?

Tureefik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve watched thru my trident my alk rise and dip in small increments and my calcium I’ve seen go up and down and I haven’t touched my calcium reactor or have I done water changes mag has been doing the same thing not an expert but I’m figuring the corals ,fish coraline algae are using a lot during the day and not so much at night and the reactor is just keeping up with what’s been taken out I guess maybe somebody else can chime in

Phil85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small rises and dips could possibly be margin of error in the test kits. How much variation are we talking?
I wouldn’t think Reef Energy would affect Ca or Mag.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know people measured redox in reefs. I use to do research on how redox potentials changed within a seed through development and how to replicate it in vitro to increase propagation numbers. I’ve never heard anyone mention it for reefing. I used some super expensive chemicals to change redox number in a reliable and controllable way. What are you using?

OP
OP
REEFer86

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know people measured redox in reefs. I use to do research on how redox potentials changed within a seed through development and how to replicate it in vitro to increase propagation numbers. I’ve never heard anyone mention it for reefing. I used some super expensive chemicals to change redox number in a reliable and controllable way. What are you using?
I am not using anything at the moment. If it gets too prestine I shut off the skimmer. It’s really what’s helped me decide on a schedule for my skimmer and refugium lighting (nitrate and phosphate control). Thanks for
Collaborating! I find these subjects really intriguing and it’s what i love most about reef keeping.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Redox is 'ORP' also

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redox is 'ORP' also
Hmmmm... that’s not how I was using redox potentials. It was in a lab setting and it was probably way more nuanced. I was actually measuring the drop in voltage over a distance in a media. And then using overcomplicated math magic, that no one likes talking about as much as me, I mimicked the levels through the different stages in the sealed embryo media. I used glutathione disulfate and ascorbic acid. Hopefully there wasn’t a more direct and cheaper way to accomplish that. If so... I wasted some $$$$. Though, that was over a decade ago, to maybe the technology has just improved in that time. ;Hilarious

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmmmm... that’s not how I was using redox potentials. It was in a lab setting and it was probably way more nuanced. I was actually measuring the drop in voltage over a distance in a media. And then using overcomplicated math magic, that no one likes talking about as much as me, I mimicked the levels through the different stages in the sealed embryo media. I used glutathione disulfate and ascorbic acid. Hopefully there wasn’t a more direct and cheaper way to accomplish that. If so... I wasted some $$$$. Though, that was over a decade ago, to maybe the technology has just improved in that time. ;Hilarious

Yes - I assumed you were using more advanced 'stuff'. Just meant that on the 'screen' shown on the monitor that she showed was called 'Redox' but was 'ORP' - kind of like how people use salinity and conductivity interchangeably.

From (that Bastian of knowledge - Wikipedia) - I thought this was interesting:

ORP stands for Oxidation-Reduction Potential. So what is that? The best definition I can give is that “ORP is a measure of the cleanliness of the water & its ability to break down contaminants”. It has a range of –2,000 to + 2,000 and units are in “mV” (millivolts).

Redox potential (also known as oxidation / reduction potential, ORP, pe, ε, or
E_{{h}}
) is a measure of the tendency of a chemical species to acquire electrons from or lose electrons to an electrode and thereby be reduced or oxidised, respectively. Redox potential is measured in volts (V), or millivolts (mV). Each species has its own intrinsic redox potential; for example, the more positive the reduction potential (reduction potential is more often used due to general formalism in electrochemistry), the greater the species' affinity for electrons and tendency to be reduced. ORP can reflect the antimicrobial potential of the water.[1]

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not using anything at the moment. If it gets too prestine I shut off the skimmer. It’s really what’s helped me decide on a schedule for my skimmer and refugium lighting (nitrate and phosphate control). Thanks for
Collaborating! I find these subjects really intriguing and it’s what i love most about reef keeping.

Im curious - my controller also 'measured' ORP/REdox - but It was so variable - how do you decide when to turn down your skimmer

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - I assumed you were using more advanced 'stuff'. Just meant that on the 'screen' shown on the monitor that she showed was called 'Redox' but was 'ORP' - kind of like how people use salinity and conductivity interchangeably.

From (that Bastian of knowledge - Wikipedia) - I thought this was interesting:

ORP stands for Oxidation-Reduction Potential. So what is that? The best definition I can give is that “ORP is a measure of the cleanliness of the water & its ability to break down contaminants”. It has a range of –2,000 to + 2,000 and units are in “mV” (millivolts).

Redox potential (also known as oxidation / reduction potential, ORP, pe, ε, or
E_{{h}}
) is a measure of the tendency of a chemical species to acquire electrons from or lose electrons to an electrode and thereby be reduced or oxidised, respectively. Redox potential is measured in volts (V), or millivolts (mV). Each species has its own intrinsic redox potential; for example, the more positive the reduction potential (reduction potential is more often used due to general formalism in electrochemistry), the greater the species' affinity for electrons and tendency to be reduced. ORP can reflect the antimicrobial potential of the water.[1]

Yeah. I did a quick google of it before I responded. I wonder if redox potentials is the difference of me over a distance. Either way, both seem like an indirect measure of something we call orp/redox. Sometimes I wonder why I didn’t stay in that line of research. But then I get to work and remember, what I’m doing feel so much more rewarding. And I get to do that kind of research as enrichment. ;Happy I think I’ve found an area that I could use some enrichment in.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah. I did a quick google of it before I responded. I wonder if redox potentials is the difference of me over a distance. Either way, both seem like an indirect measure of something we call orp/redox. Sometimes I wonder why I didn’t stay in that line of research. But then I get to work and remember, what I’m doing feel so much more rewarding. And I get to do that kind of research as enrichment. ;Happy I think I’ve found an area that I could use some enrichment in.

I actually did some research with NADH and Redox - and Redox potential I think is more the intrinsic property of something' where as ORP is the 'measurement'.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually did some research with NADH and Redox - and Redox potential I think is more the intrinsic property of something' where as ORP is the 'measurement'.

Ahhhh. That makes a lot more sense. It’s amazing that people have developed tools that can give us this information. Makes me want to delve into the engineering of them. God. I’m such a geek. ;Bookworm:oops:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried the Red Sea Reef Energy Coral nutrition A/B ?
What effects does it have on calcium and magnesium? How can the calcium and mag dip and rise without doing anything? Started dosing Alkalinity by Red Sea. Need to get CO2 to get my calcium reactor running. Who’s used a calcium reactor and how has it affected your levels?
Dip and rise by test error. Super common.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im curious - my controller also 'measured' ORP/REdox - but It was so variable - how do you decide when to turn down your skimmer
I would never adjust a skimmer up or down based on ORP. Without an oxidizer being added, ORP is never too high.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, that is what ORP is, but it is of limited utility, IMO. There’s a greatly detailed article on what exactly it is in the chemistry articles at the top of the forum.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 58 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.4%
Back