Calcium reactor control by Neptune Trident

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a peristaltic pump the effluent line shouldn't plug at all since there arent any pinch points or a tiny ball valve that will plug with sediment.
I pull my flow thru the effluent line and thru the calcium reactor using my peristaltic pump. At the same time, being completely paranoid, I use a very small pump in my sump attached to the 1/4 input line to my reactor.

This is my first experience with calcium reactors, so I am still not sure if pushing or pulling thru a reactor is best. Do you have any preferences either way?

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pull my flow thru the effluent line and thru the calcium reactor using my peristaltic pump. At the same time, being completely paranoid, I use a very small pump in my sump attached to the 1/4 input line to my reactor.

This is my first experience with calcium reactors, so I am still not sure if pushing or pulling thru a reactor is best. Do you have any preferences either way?
I am using my peristaltic pump after the reactor also and pull water from the sump, through the reactor and then push it back to the sump. Less likely to cause a big pressure buildup inside the reactor this way if one of the lines were to become clogged and the pump was pushing water into the reactor.

Recipe2reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the beginning of April 2019 I've had my Trident and after a couple weeks when I trusted it, I started experimenting with some programming I thought of well before its release. More people with reactors need to know about this easy to create and use program to help with Alkalinity stability so I'm sharing it on R2R in hopes more reefers see it. A sticky thread would be best. :)

For 15 years prior to the Neptune Trident, my Alkalinity was always on a slow climb, or slow drop due to my laziness. I learned that as long as changes happened slowly my corals don't really care. Because of that, I never worried about dialing my reactor in perfectly and I would often go several months without testing for Alkalinity. I've had Alkalinity as low as 6 and as high as 16. Those two extremes are when my corals showed visible signs of stress and of course I had to jump to action to correct the problem. A 10% WC and slight correction of the reactor is all that was ever needed. The problem happened slowly so correcting it slowly is always best with SPS. Every number in between is pretty safe in my experience. Of course 7-11 is the target. I have not tested for Calcium in over a decade, and rarely test for Magnesium. In my opinion, with a Calcium reactor, those two numbers are not real important, because with a quality media, they will always be balanced.

Enough back story, on to the good stuff.

This program should work with any CO2 regulator with an electronic selenoid. Its very simple and consists of two virtual outlets. One is the high limit of your choice, and the second is the toggle that slows the melt (raises the pH in the reactor) to slowly lower the Alkalinity in the tank.
Screenshot (38).png

This is the high limit Virtual Outlet. I chose 9.03 as a random number for the initial experiment and never changed it. The Target Alkalinity is 9.00.
Screenshot (40).png

This is my OSC Virtual Outlet. For every twenty minute cycle, the CO2 is turned off which raises the reactor pH up about two tenths
Screenshot (39).png

For the reactor CO2, I left my old original programming as a fail safe and simply added the last line. At this point I could remove the second line, but leaving it will make things easier for when I have to take the Trident off line for maintenance.
Screenshot (41).png

Thats it! The program requires you to dial in the reactor to work slightly harder than you need it to and as demands increase the toggle will come on less often as a high limit. This has been successfully working for quite a few large SPS tanks including @melev and @Thales as well as my own. I hope it helps you too.
3EDCA61E-A9EF-4EBB-83CA-FFBF47730458.png 3EDCA61E-A9EF-4EBB-83CA-FFBF47730458.png
Since the beginning of April 2019 I've had my Trident and after a couple weeks when I trusted it, I started experimenting with some programming I thought of well before its release. More people with reactors need to know about this easy to create and use program to help with Alkalinity stability so I'm sharing it on R2R in hopes more reefers see it. A sticky thread would be best. :)

For 15 years prior to the Neptune Trident, my Alkalinity was always on a slow climb, or slow drop due to my laziness. I learned that as long as changes happened slowly my corals don't really care. Because of that, I never worried about dialing my reactor in perfectly and I would often go several months without testing for Alkalinity. I've had Alkalinity as low as 6 and as high as 16. Those two extremes are when my corals showed visible signs of stress and of course I had to jump to action to correct the problem. A 10% WC and slight correction of the reactor is all that was ever needed. The problem happened slowly so correcting it slowly is always best with SPS. Every number in between is pretty safe in my experience. Of course 7-11 is the target. I have not tested for Calcium in over a decade, and rarely test for Magnesium. In my opinion, with a Calcium reactor, those two numbers are not real important, because with a quality media, they will always be balanced.

This program should work with any CO2 regulator with an electronic selenoid. Its very simple and consists of two virtual outlets. One is the high limit of your choice, and the second is the toggle that slows the melt (raises the pH in the reactor) to slowly lower the Alkalinity in the tank.
Screenshot (38).png

This is the high limit Virtual Outlet. I chose 9.03 as a random number for the initial experiment and never changed it. The Target Alkalinity is 9.00.
Screenshot (40).png

This is my OSC Virtual Outlet. For every twenty minute cycle, the CO2 is turned off which raises the reactor pH up about two tenths
Screenshot (39).png

For the reactor CO2, I left my old original programming as a fail safe and simply added the last line. At this point I could remove the second line, but leaving it will make things easier for when I have to take the Trident off line for maintenance.
Screenshot (41).png

Thats it! The program requires you to dial in the reactor to work slightly harder than you need it to and as demands increase the toggle will come on less often as a high limit. This has been successfully working for quite a few large SPS tanks including @melev and @Thales as well as my own. I hope it helps you too.
I found this code didn’t work for me and I had to change the wide open or in my case maximum switch switch to turn on when the alk was above my recommended value and off the it was below. 24341248-A7D4-487B-92CC-FC7825F9BEB8.png C9F4A016-D0A7-4ED3-909F-1FDD0F898E37.png

Recipe2reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Screenshot (38).png

Screenshot (40).png

Screenshot (39).png

Screenshot (41).png

I found that the wide open code didn’t work for me and I change it to this

Attachments

• F4886EE6-03DE-407B-8601-6B5B3F48B26E.png
    F4886EE6-03DE-407B-8601-6B5B3F48B26E.png
    261.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 90B679CC-8CB2-4601-B4C1-E1AD77034970.png
    90B679CC-8CB2-4601-B4C1-E1AD77034970.png
    265.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 6764D3A7-EBFD-4D48-98D4-A80581F3F8ED.png
    6764D3A7-EBFD-4D48-98D4-A80581F3F8ED.png
    249 KB · Views: 52

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that the wide open code didn’t work for me and I change it to this
You have the wrong output listed in the code for CO2. It should reference CaRx-Limiter not CaRx-Maximum as you have it programmed currently.

CO2
Fallback ON
If pH > 7.00 Then ON
If Output CaRx-Limiter = ON Then OFF
If pH < 6.4 Then OFF

You need to switch back the other codes though:
CaRx-Maximum
Set ON
If Alkx3 > 10.0 Then OFF

You do not need the line If Alkx3 <9.99 Because of the > 10.0 Then OFF, anything below 10.0 will automatically be ON because of the first line Set ON.

CaRx-Limiter
OSC 005:00/015:00/000:00 Then ON (you can set the cycle time and on off times however you like. This will give you 5 minutes of CO2 and 15 minutes of no CO2 for every 20 minutes)
If Output CaRx-Maximum = ON Then OFF

So what happens..
If alk is below 10.0
CaRx-Maximum is ON
This turns CaRx-Limiter OFF so no timing cycle.
With CaRX-Limiter OFF completely CO2 will stay ON

If Alk is over 10.0
CaRx-Maximum is OFF
This turns CaRx-Limiter ON which cause the OSC to run and turn CaRx-Limiter On and OFF depending on the timing cycle. In your example it will be OFF for 5 minutes and ON for 15.

CO2 program will see the OFF/ON cycle from CaRx-Limiter and turn the CO2 ON for 5 minutes and OFF for 15.

Recipe2reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Is this better ?

Attachments

• F61D60F2-653C-4A7E-95AF-46CC0D1C02BE.png
    F61D60F2-653C-4A7E-95AF-46CC0D1C02BE.png
    249 KB · Views: 46
  • 6BB84F6B-A089-44F8-B176-DCA29BF80523.png
    6BB84F6B-A089-44F8-B176-DCA29BF80523.png
    252.5 KB · Views: 44
  • F9C18118-7936-4AE9-92A7-D8C00509118F.png
    F9C18118-7936-4AE9-92A7-D8C00509118F.png
    242.8 KB · Views: 56

Recipe2reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have the wrong output listed in the code for CO2. It should reference CaRx-Limiter not CaRx-Maximum as you have it programmed currently.

CO2
Fallback ON
If pH > 7.00 Then ON
If pH < 6.4 Then OFF

CaRx-Maximum
Set ON
If Alkx3 > 10.0 Then OFF

You do not need the line If Alkx3 <9.99 Because of the > 10.0 Then OFF, anything below 10.0 will automatically be ON because of the first line Set ON.

CaRx-Limiter
OSC 005:00/015:00/000:00 Then ON (you can set the cycle time and on off times however you like. This will give you 5 minutes of CO2 and 15 minutes of no CO2 for every 20 minutes)

So what happens..
If alk is below 10.0
CaRx-Maximum is ON

If Alk is over 10.0
CaRx-Maximum is OFF
This turns CaRx-Limiter ON which cause the OSC to run and turn CaRx-Limiter On and OFF depending on the timing cycle. In your example it will be OFF for 5 minutes and ON for 15.

CO2 program will see the OFF/ON cycle from CaRx-Limiter and turn the CO2 ON for 5 minutes and OFF for 15.
I’m getting very frustrated

Recipe2reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CO2
Fallback ON
If pH > 7.00 Then ON
If pH < 6.4 Then OFF

CaRx-Maximum
Set ON
If Alkx3 > 10.0 Then OFF

CaRx-Limiter

So what happens..
If alk is below 10.0
CaRx-Maximum is ON

If Alk is over 10.0
CaRx-Maximum is OFF

Should the timing Cycle be on if the alk is below 10

Recipe2reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this better ? I don’t think it’s working now.

Attachments

• D1B9FC2D-FAC4-4C6C-9351-39F366D7A3EC.png
    D1B9FC2D-FAC4-4C6C-9351-39F366D7A3EC.png
    260.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 4F52268F-0C8C-4A57-9E0C-55CE439C3FCC.png
    4F52268F-0C8C-4A57-9E0C-55CE439C3FCC.png
    265.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 4A7A44A7-7B86-4C73-9488-9DF89B226AF4.png
    4A7A44A7-7B86-4C73-9488-9DF89B226AF4.png
    241.6 KB · Views: 44

Recipe2reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way the code is right now it’s not turning on at all regardless of an alk statement.

Recipe2reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10.1. But I changed the value in the switch to 11 test the switches and it’s not working

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back