Calibration fluid?

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not want to throw a wrench into this topic but we have come across a calibration solution that was wrong... Not common but can happen. If the results of your testing fall way outside the norm, double-check your calibration solution. We now use two DIFFERENT manufacturers of the solution.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically if my tank is 1.027 theres no way to tell. What should i do? I dont want 1.027 salinity was aiming at 1.026

Lol

Both are perfectly fine, but if you want higher accuracy, you’ll need to buy a more expensive (or at least different) device.

trainbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I use the Milwaukee digital refractor I check the specific gravity and ppt because of rounding this way I feel that my salinity will be closer to what I want

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one sitting in the box how do i use it they told me i nwed 500ml or something for it i forgot

Posted in your thread yesterday

Here is how I use mine

Place 450 ml of tank water in a 500 ml graduated cylinder
Place hydrometer in water and let stabilize (I normally test Nitrate, Phosphate, ALk during this time)
Take reading from bottom of meniscus ( look below the water line)
1660651286573.png

Take temperature reading of water in cylinder
If not 77.0° F Calculate the actual using this online calculator
Use corrected number.

Article that the photo is from

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Was thinking exactly same as reading this thread and thinking why another thread asking same question ha ha ,was just literally going check time other post posted and double check not duplicate post which sometimes happens when my connection not good and slow to upload question so post again and get 2 threads same ^_^

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly! I bought 35ppt calibration fluid and calibrated my refractometer with it then checked against a tropic marin pro floating hydrometer and the calibration fluid was way off so I calibrated with 0 tds rodi and then the refractometer matched the floating hydrometer perfectly!
How did u use the tro

Sorry didnt see that. So you see the number under the water? And not the one above the water

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did u use the tro

Sorry didnt see that. So you see the number under the water? And not the one above the water

For me it is easier to look below the water line the move up to the waterline since the meniscus is above the water line

5E61C956-970C-4136-93CF-85B2B58ADB7B.jpeg

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the floating hydrometer with graduated cylinder. I started having issues with coral happines and my Refractometer was reading a solid 1.026. Turns out that the refractometer and/or the calibrating solution were off. When I used the floating hydrometer, I was actually under 1.023, almost 1.022. And since it was like that for months, corals slowly stressed and eventually small fluctuations in other parameters would cause them to die off.

After getting the correct reading, I slowly raised the salinity level and after a bit of time, the corals that initially survived, they started to recover.

Wish I had made the change sooner. It is more of a pia dealing with it, but a lot more precise.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back