Can a chemist guy interpret this please

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking for a safe fly killer. Thaxxx said this MAY be an answer ( MAXFORCE® FLY SPOT BAIT ) Can somebody interprate the following?

SECTION 12: ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION Toxicity to fish LC50 (Oncorhynchus mykiss (rainbow trout)) 211 mg/l Exposure time: 96 h The value mentioned relates to the active ingredient imidacloprid. Toxicity to aquatic invertebrates EC50 (Daphnia magna (Water flea)) 85 mg/l Exposure time: 48 h The value mentioned relates to the active ingredient imidacloprid. EC50 (Chironomus riparius (non-biting midge)) 0.0552 mg/l Exposure time: 24 h The value mentioned relates to the active ingredient imidacloprid. Chronic toxicity to aquatic invertebrates EC10 (Chironomus riparius (non-biting midge)): 2,09 µg/l Exposure time: 28 d The value mentioned relates to the active ingredient imidacloprid. Toxicity to aquatic plants IC50 (Desmodesmus subspicatus (green algae)) > 10 mg/l Growth rate; Exposure time: 72 h The value mentioned relates to the active ingredient imidacloprid. Additional ecological information No other effects to be mentioned. Environmental precautions Do not apply directly to water, to areas where surface water is present or to intertidal areas below the mean high water mark. Do not contaminate surface or ground water by cleaning equipment or disposal of wastes, including equipment wash water. Do not apply this product or allow it to drift to blooming crops or weeds if bees are visiting the treatment area. Apply this product as specified on the label.

Link: https://www.homeparamount.com/pdf/doc-maxforce-fly-spot-msds-1394236565.pdf

Thanks

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m not a chemical guy but know a little about ecotoxicology The only information I can get out from that is not to use it in a close indoor environment with a saltwater tank
Do not apply directly to water, to areas where surface water is present or to intertidal areas below the mean high water mark
The skimmer will transport it rather fast into the water

Why do you not look at equipments like these

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
S

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lasse I have one of those for outdoors, but find the light and ................Zap.......................Zap...................Fiz................Zap, annoying, plus a biy ugly for indoors;)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones with UV and adhesion? No noise as I know-. I rather sure that you will not find any spray that really kill your flies without being a threat for your aquarium. If the gas kill flies - it will come down in the water and probably kill your inhabitants there too

Sincerely Lasse

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thing that works is just yellow sticky paper that you can hang in a window behind a curtain. These work wonders for me.
Kensizer 20-Pack Dual-Sided...

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking for a safe fly killer. Thaxxx said this MAY be an answer ( MAXFORCE® FLY SPOT BAIT ) Can somebody interprate the following?

SECTION 12: ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION Toxicity to fish LC50 (Oncorhynchus mykiss (rainbow trout)) 211 mg/l Exposure time: 96 h The value mentioned relates to the active ingredient imidacloprid. Toxicity to aquatic invertebrates EC50 (Daphnia magna (Water flea)) 85 mg/l Exposure time: 48 h The value mentioned relates to the active ingredient imidacloprid. EC50 (Chironomus riparius (non-biting midge)) 0.0552 mg/l Exposure time: 24 h The value mentioned relates to the active ingredient imidacloprid. Chronic toxicity to aquatic invertebrates EC10 (Chironomus riparius (non-biting midge)): 2,09 µg/l Exposure time: 28 d The value mentioned relates to the active ingredient imidacloprid. Toxicity to aquatic plants IC50 (Desmodesmus subspicatus (green algae)) > 10 mg/l Growth rate; Exposure time: 72 h The value mentioned relates to the active ingredient imidacloprid. Additional ecological information No other effects to be mentioned. Environmental precautions Do not apply directly to water, to areas where surface water is present or to intertidal areas below the mean high water mark. Do not contaminate surface or ground water by cleaning equipment or disposal of wastes, including equipment wash water. Do not apply this product or allow it to drift to blooming crops or weeds if bees are visiting the treatment area. Apply this product as specified on the label.

Link: https://www.homeparamount.com/pdf/doc-maxforce-fly-spot-msds-1394236565.pdf

Thanks
How do you plan to use it?

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep a couple of these around the tank. I always bring mine in when it starts getting cold and the are always eating the little fruit flies and house flies. Fight nature with nature

0C6611BC-93FD-4FE7-8027-55508E28F0DD.jpeg 62F3F1A7-BC98-4757-BFCC-CDF204D40438.jpeg

Discordian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to do alot of work arround environmental toxicology. First things first MSDSs and SDSs are pretty tough to interpret... the tests are often old, not properly conducted, or paid for by the company selling the product. It could be there are other chemicals in the product, besides the main active ingredients, that are toxic to aquatics organism like corals. Also some species are more susceptible than others even if they are closely related. Furthermore it is very rare to run across coral specific toxicology test - to be safe I would just assume they are the most sensitive species in your tank unless you have reason to believe otherwise. How you plan to use the product will also have a big impact on any impacts to your tank. Assuming you don't plan on putting it in your tank and using an extremely conservative safety factor the only test result that is concerning is the aquatic invertebrate test. Which indicates that if even a tiny tiny amount got in your tank it could cause problems to invertebrates. That said it looks like this is a bait product so it would be tough to get it in your tank and would certainly be a better option than any sort of spray or liquid product. My guess is you would be fine to use it in the same room as your tank as long as you took reasonable precautions to keep it out of your tank. Say make sure it is on the other side of the room, make sure it can't be knocked into the tank, and make sure it can't be mistaken for something that belongs near the aquarium and moved by someone.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back