Can I Drill This Tank?

ORReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased an Aqueon 75 gallon aquarium. The plan was to upgrade from our 12+ year old 55gallon (not drilled) and finally be able to use a sump. I knew that Aqueon uses tempored glass for the bottoms of their tanks and it's my understanding that trying to drill tempored glass will result in shattered glass (I've also seen some info online saying it must be tempored glass for drilling, so please confirm which type of glass I want). Assuming tempored glass is bad for drilling I wasn't concerned about the bottom glass since I was planning to drill the back glass.

However... here's the potential issue. While looking for info on drilling tanks I ran across this bit of text on Aqueon's website:
"Aqueon Glass Aquariums Tempered vs. Non Tempered: Due to glass availability, Central Aquatics may temporarily substitute regular or non-tempered glass panels with tempered glass panels. Anytime a glass substitution is made, a sticker will be adhered to the aquarium bottom as a precaution to the end user."

So, I went over to the tank and I found this sticker (see photo)

Can someone confirm that this is the "we used tempered glass on your entire tank, if you drill it IT WILL BREAK!!!" sticker referenced on their website?

Has anyone seen this sticker and drilled sucessfully?

Thanks In Advance!

0808201444-01.jpeg

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased an Aqueon 75 gallon aquarium. The plan was to upgrade from our 12+ year old 55gallon (not drilled) and finally be able to use a sump. I knew that Aqueon uses tempored glass for the bottoms of their tanks and it's my understanding that trying to drill tempored glass will result in shattered glass (I've also seen some info online saying it must be tempored glass for drilling, so please confirm which type of glass I want). Assuming tempored glass is bad for drilling I wasn't concerned about the bottom glass since I was planning to drill the back glass.

However... here's the potential issue. While looking for info on drilling tanks I ran across this bit of text on Aqueon's website:
"Aqueon Glass Aquariums Tempered vs. Non Tempered: Due to glass availability, Central Aquatics may temporarily substitute regular or non-tempered glass panels with tempered glass panels. Anytime a glass substitution is made, a sticker will be adhered to the aquarium bottom as a precaution to the end user."

So, I went over to the tank and I found this sticker (see photo)

Can someone confirm that this is the "we used tempered glass on your entire tank, if you drill it IT WILL BREAK!!!" sticker referenced on their website?

Has anyone seen this sticker and drilled sucessfully?

Thanks In Advance!

0808201444-01.jpeg

I wouldn’t drill.

OP
OP
ORReefer

ORReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, as I expected tempered glass bad. Can't remember where I saw someone saying you needed tempered glass for drilling. Probably a typo on their website.

Wish I could remember where so I could tell them to fix that before someone does the wrong thing! Could be dangerous as well as expensive n

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can check the glass panes to see if they are tempered. All you need is a smartphone and a pair of polarized sunglasses. I suggest looking it up on YouTube for the exact details. As my understanding is that Aqueon may use only 1 piece of tempered, but will still put the sticker on it so they are not liable for an exploded tank.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have drilled many tanks and I have found that the best way to confirm whether or not the tank can be drilled is to use the polarized sunglasses method (search YouTube). Beyond that, remember that you are essentially grinding a hole in the glass and go really, really slow. When you start to break through go even slower.

OP
OP
ORReefer

ORReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't drill my tanks. I am old style. Lol 30 years and counting
Nothing wrong with that. Once I get this figured out this will be my first drilled tank & sump in 20+ yrs of saltwater keeping. You can totally be successful without a overflows and sumps.

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you but out of couriosity is this from personal experience?
He is right. You CANNOT drill that tank. My experience is not from trying to drill a tank, but from just trying to drill tempered glass. It will start out looking like it will work, then it will suddenly be nothing more than a pile of very small pieces of glass.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back