Can I go through Canada?

JimSWreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I am trying to plan my PCS move from Alaska to the lower 48. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with crossing the Canadian border with live fish and corals? Can I even do this? I plan on transporting them in my car.

Thanks for your time!

OP
OP
JimSWreef

JimSWreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the army, and I go where they send me lol. I love alaska as well! I will definitely miss it.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following so I can find out the answer. Something tells me you are gonna get hassled if they search your car. The livestock is what I would be worried about. Military ID might be able to smooth things over though. Thank you for your service, BTW.

OP
OP
JimSWreef

JimSWreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following so I can find out the answer. Something tells me you are gonna get hassled if they search your car. The livestock is what I would be worried about. Military ID might be able to smooth things over though. Thank you for your service, BTW.

Thanks for your support! I am thinking the same, but I am hoping I am wrong.

Tapio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I am trying to plan my PCS move from Alaska to the lower 48. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with crossing the Canadian border with live fish and corals? Can I even do this? I plan on transporting them in my car.

Thanks for your time!
I am not familiar with such a journey, but I would worry more about the corals than fish because of CITES. The officers you will encounter at the borders likely have never been tasked with a similar situation before. Crossing both into Canada and then back to the US could be problematic. However, how likely is it that you get searched at either crossing? Perhaps show military ID and also wear uniform?

The safest is to check with both US and Canadian customs and get approval or permits for the transport. Make sure to have the ID of the approving officers with you to both borders. I would imagine being in the service you do not want to be caught importing CITES protected animals without permits.

If the livestock is not very rare or expensive it might be easier and less stressful to simply buy new animals at your destination.

Good luck and thank you for your service!

OP
OP
JimSWreef

JimSWreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not familiar with such a journey, but I would worry more about the corals than fish because of CITES. The officers you will encounter at the borders likely have never been tasked with a similar situation before. Crossing both into Canada and then back to the US could be problematic. However, how likely is it that you get searched at either crossing? Perhaps show military ID and also wear uniform?

The safest is to check with both US and Canadian customs and get approval or permits for the transport. Make sure to have the ID of the approving officers with you to both borders. I would imagine being in the service you do not want to be caught importing CITES protected animals without permits.

If the livestock is not very rare or expensive it might be easier and less stressful to simply buy new animals at your destination.

Good luck and thank you for your service!

Thank you! I will do my due diligence.

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will likely be much easier to ship the corals from the USA to the USA. Bringing them through Canada, any stony corals or corals attached to live rock will require a CITES permit. In order to get a CITES permit you need to know the original CITES permit the corals were brought into the country with. Now people get around that since an Acropora is an Acropora is an Acropora in the eyes of a CWS inspector. But honestly it would be much easier and legit to send it by fedex to your destination.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back