Can leptoseris get BJD?

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2020-07-12 10.27.46.jpg

Going to pull and dip today. Its been in the tank for several months, but started receding recently and getting brown slime on it. The lower part of the colony looks healthy though.
Parameters are all stable. Thinking it has to be some sort of disease/infection.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck.

It almost looks like it's getting too much light since all the top surface looks weak and the sides look healthy?

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that, but its been there since I got this tank going about 3 months ago. Did the dip and put it back in the same spot. If it doesn't start showing improvement, I will try moving to lower light.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did the same thing for a about three months then BOOM! Just like yours is doing, it starts spreading off the plug. Looks like a melting crayon. Be patient, you have excellent tissue growing around the edges. The bleached out side will color up eventually. I have gold, green, and a jacko’lantern like yours. The green I have is growing all over my acro rock in the shade AND the 300+ par lit side. All that green under the green slimer is leptoseris
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, that doesn't look like BJD to me. Best of luck!

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, that doesn't look like BJD to me. Best of luck!

Thanks, that's reassuring.

It was growing and looking healthy like yours, ughster until the recent recession. Then, the brown started showing up and got me concerned. Hasn't returned since the dip yesterday, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that's reassuring.

It was growing and looking healthy like yours, ughster until the recent recession. Then, the brown started showing up and got me concerned. Hasn't returned since the dip yesterday, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.
One thing I have noticed in my experience is that leptos hate to be moved. It almost acts as a reset for them even within the same tank. They like to adapt on their own terms. Resist the urge to move it anymore and you’ll be rewarded.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 77 86.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back