Captive-Bred Biota Mandarins

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just concerned because she is not swimming around at all. Hopefully she is just getting adjusted.

Edit: She was swimming around last night when we got home & looks good this morning.

Last edited:

Corgigirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have a pair of red dragonets in a 70 gallon tank, would adding a mandarin be a problem? I keep it stocked with pods :)

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Biota_Marine hey what was the direct website again for ordering?

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks. Also do you know if I place the order through Live Aquaria does the mandarin still come direct drop shipped from your facility?

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Also do you know if I place the order through Live Aquaria does the mandarin still come direct drop shipped from your facility?
It doesn't, I believe Live Aquaria has all their own specialized quarantine protocols when they receive our animals but we ship them to their Wisconsin facility.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently bought one of these mandy's.

Great little guy that will basically eat anything I put in the tank. My only problem is he/she is so small, it gets lost in my reef! I do see it from time to time, so I know it's still alive. But dang is it tiny(like 1/4").

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently bought one of these mandy's.

Great little guy that will basically eat anything I put in the tank. My opnly problem is he/she is so small, it gets lost in my reef! I do see it from time to time, so I know it's still alive. But dang is it tiny(like 1/4").
Yeah they're little guys but definitely hardy and grow quickly. I once had a customer "lose" a pair in his large reef only to call us 4 months later when they showed up 4x the size and eating pellets off the surface!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the three weeks I've had him/her(think it's a her as it as no "spine" fin, but have read that when they are this small it's tough to sex), it's easily doubled in size.

Definietely a hardy little bugger, and stands his ground to fish thats easily 5 times it's size.

driftin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they swim up into the water column for feeding? Or only graze for food that hits the sand bed or in the rocks?

I'm thinking about starting supplemental feedings with the American Reef HPD, which would be a food hung from a bag. Would the mandarins swim up into the mid- to upper-tank region to feed from it?

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they swim up into the water column for feeding? Or only graze for food that hits the sand bed or in the rocks?

I'm thinking about starting supplemental feedings with the American Reef HPD, which would be a food hung from a bag. Would the mandarins swim up into the mid- to upper-tank region to feed from it?
They sometimes learn to go to the top for feedings but we've noticed they're more likely to go after food that drifts along the mid to bottom level of the aquarium. In our 300G office tank we feed mostly LRS fish frenzy and Herbivore frenzy and they snatch the smaller particles out of the mid water column.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They sometimes learn to go to the top for feedings but we've noticed they're more likely to go after food that drifts along the mid to bottom level of the aquarium. In our 300G office tank we feed mostly LRS fish frenzy and Herbivore frenzy and they snatch the smaller particles out of the mid water column.
Cool! If i want to order one for delivery on a specific day how do i go about doing so?

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! If i want to order one for delivery on a specific day how do i go about doing so?
If you place an order through the site send me over an email at [email protected] with the order number and I'll make sure it gets on the right schedule date. At the moment we only ship Monday-Thursday through FedEx Priority overnight.

Obsessed Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you place an order through the site send me over an email at [email protected] with the order number and I'll make sure it gets on the right schedule date. At the moment we only ship Monday-Thursday through FedEx Priority overnight.

If we order through another vendor, but it’s still shipped from you, say AlgaeBarn, would we still be able to reach out to you for getting a specific delivery day?

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we order through another vendor, but it’s still shipped from you, say AlgaeBarn, would we still be able to reach out to you for getting a specific delivery day?
If you order direct from us or through AlgaeBarn it comes from our facility Live Aquaria likes to do an additional quarantine period and grow-out on all of our animals so they might be a bit larger through them. I try to get out AlgaeBarn orders the day we receive the request from them so I can try to get it out on a specific day but it does sometimes get mixed in.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any difference between ordering a male and female from AlgaeBarn and ordering a pair directly from you?
Nope, it's the same product from the same source just two different websites. I think the benefit of either comes from AlgaeBarn's point system or if you wanted any other products from either store.

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone knows us for our captive-bred mandarins and for great reason! Our mandarins are fed a diet of pellet and frozen foods so when they get into your tank they're already acclimated and ready to thrive.

Check out this video of a group of them chowing down on some TDO B2 and PE hatchery diet pellets. We also feed them frozen PE Calanus and frozen Hikari baby brine shrimp.

Post any questions you might have about them below!

What's the DOA guarantee?

Back