Chalice lifting away from its skeleton?

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small chalice frag that is lifting away from its skeleton in places and basically blowing in the wind, it’s still attached in other spots. Is this the end for this frag?
DECDAB33-7A1D-49C7-9A1C-115135950B2A.jpeg

NanJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had the same thing happen with a chalice to the point where it was attached in one small place. It got bumped during a maintenance and released completely. To our great surprise a tiny piece of it attached in another spot and has started to grow. The chalice is Raja Rampage and has yellow "eyes" as part of its design. The tiny piece glowed yellow like a bright eye so we call it Cyclops. Over the past several weeks it has doubled in size - not saying much since it was less than 1/4" in diameter but at least it is mounting a comeback.

This doesn't answer your question but I'd say it is not a given that it will die. An idea is to try glueing it down but I'd wait for someone with more experience to confirm that plan. Hope it lives for you!

OP
OP
gabrieltackitt

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of now, the piece that detached has gone missing completely but the rest is still attached and looks healthy, I have two other frags from this coral so I’m not too worried about it either. I had just never seen that happen to a chalice before

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back