Changing Light Spectrum

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I have a tank with some lps and some softies with an AI Prime 16. I have always had a white light look however now that I have a bunch of corals, I would like to add some blue. I am thinking of going with one of BRS recommended settings. I’ve attached my current settings and the settings I plan to change to below. How do I go about changing it? I assume I can’t do it over night.

Also any recommendations for maximum growth are appreciated!
I also included a pic of my tank (I’m having a bit of a bloom currently)

IMG_3679.png IMG_3678.jpeg image.jpg

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said you have a bunch of corals now. How are they doing? If they are doing well I would not mess with it too much. Maybe fine 5% and wait a month but go by results not random internet advice.

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the key change is to cool white.

If it was mine, I would make the changes incrementally and monitor the corals. Once you have what you want, stop.
thank you! Just so i’m sure, I’ll lower the cool white slowly and monitor corals until I reach my desired level and don’t change anything else? can I do that with the greens and reds at the same time? I hear they can encourage nuisance algae.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful blues are deceptive with how much par they output. Check it with a par meter.

Par meters don't accurately measure how excitable a color is, and blue is a more powerful color than lets say green at the same par level.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Par meters don't accurately measure how excitable a color is, and blue is a more powerful color than lets say green at the same par level.
I should elaborate I guess. Blue isnt as bright as white at the same wattage we will say. So I see a tendency to go to heavy on the blue to try and compensate for the lack of white. Maybe is a better way to put it. Maybe not. By doing that you may actually be putting more par than you had previously. Best to check it.

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have acclimation mode...use it. and do a 2 months to get there, mode. SLOW

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your issue isn’t not enough blue. It’s too much white. There’s no benefit to having moonlight on during your day settings. And your white is way high. Green and red are useless channels and at 10% they probably have no effect over your maxed out blue and purple. You are being essentially forced to overdrive certain channels just to get the output to fully cover a 40 cube. IMO this is a nano light. I have a 15g and it’s doing well with a prime. I feel one prime per 20g is the average regardless of shape. If it’s a cube and you can’t get two side by side then I would recommend a different light altogether. Leds shouldn’t be run at 100% or more. On my prime I max at 80%. On my 75g lps reef my leds run at 40%. You’re on a path to melting lenses and/or cutting years off the fixtures lifespan

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your issue isn’t not enough blue. It’s too much white. There’s no benefit to having moonlight on during your day settings. And your white is way high. Green and red are useless channels and at 10% they probably have no effect over your maxed out blue and purple. You are being essentially forced to overdrive certain channels just to get the output to fully cover a 40 cube. IMO this is a nano light. I have a 15g and it’s doing well with a prime. I feel one prime per 20g is the average regardless of shape. If it’s a cube and you can’t get two side by side then I would recommend a different light altogether. Leds shouldn’t be run at 100% or more. On my prime I max at 80%. On my 75g lps reef my leds run at 40%. You’re on a path to melting lenses and/or cutting years off the fixtures lifespan
Agree. I also have this light on a 15 gallon softie tank (zoa’s and mushrooms) at 70%. I agree this light maxes out on a 25 gallon.

Check out all the threads on melting lenses on AI Prime, for the longevity of the light you don’t want to be at 100%

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I have a tank with some lps and some softies with an AI Prime 16. I have always had a white light look however now that I have a bunch of corals, I would like to add some blue. I am thinking of going with one of BRS recommended settings. I’ve attached my current settings and the settings I plan to change to below. How do I go about changing it? I assume I can’t do it over night.

Also any recommendations for maximum growth are appreciated!
I also included a pic of my tank (I’m having a bit of a bloom currently)

IMG_3679.png IMG_3678.jpeg image.jpg
It should be real easy to change the spectrum on your AI Prime 16 app, just move the bars up and down with your fingers, your spectrum looks a little high, if you start running into algae problems move the spectrum down, I have my spectrum real low most of the time in the schedule, and my corals seem to be doing fine.

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. I also have this light on a 15 gallon softie tank (zoa’s and mushrooms) at 70%. I agree this light maxes out on a 25 gallon.

Check out all the threads on melting lenses on AI Prime, for the longevity of the light you don’t want to be at 100%
looks like i’m heading to the store and grabbing another prime lol

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be getting a second prime but I just had one question, the tank is 24 inches wide and 1 prime is about 5 inches wide. what should the spacing be with 2 across 24 inches?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back