Changing Redsea valve

EHaddad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am finally sick and tired of adjusting this horrible valve that RedSea puts on their tanks. I am gonna switch it over to a Spears Gate valve. If anyone has done this can you link the parts that were needed to do this, and any helpful tips! Please help! My wife is starting to talk about getting rid of the tank because of the noise!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever taken apart the RedSea gate value? Comes apart with 4 screws and is easy to clean. Made a big difference in performance and quietness after I cleaned mine out.

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a DC return pump and ATO? I have the stock valve on my 170 and once in a while the flow % needs to be raised or lowered but the valve is never touched.

I also hard plumbed my 250 years ago and used the 42221 part method but some newer threads say that the part is now glued and can’t be unscrewed.

Here is a link to someone else’s thread with what they used.

OP
OP
EHaddad

EHaddad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever taken apart the RedSea gate value? Comes apart with 4 screws and is easy to clean. Made a big difference in performance and quietness after I cleaned mine out.
I will try that tonight maybe it will help. I’ve always had problems with my valve every few days it has to be adjusted.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does that help manage the valve?
You could have too much or too little flow in your sump. You want to match your flow to Red Sea’s recommended return pump flow.

It’s a balancing act between the flow in your system and the gate value. I have seen a number of Red Sea Reefer people on R2R that didn’t have enough flow in the return pump so that gate valve and sump didn’t work properly - causing lots of noise.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have too much or too little flow in your sump. You want to match your flow to Red Sea’s recommended return pump flow.

It’s a balancing act between the flow in your system and the gate value. I have seen a number of Red Sea Reefer people on R2R that didn’t have enough flow in the return pump so that gate valve and sump didn’t work properly - causing lots of noise.
I can't get mine to work properly at all. Running a Vectra m2 at 45% so that is like 900gph through the sump about 15x my total water volume.

lazlodawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try bumping it up 10-20 percent to account for head height and flow restrictions and then dial in the gate valve again to where the water in the overflow is just barely below the emergency drain?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv
Maybe try bumping it up 10-20 percent to account for head height and flow restrictions and then dial in the gate valve again to where the water in the overflow is just barely below the emergency drain?
Sorry for little hijack OP. Last question, I did bump it up and set it just below the return. Never stays consistent there. The only thing that works is letting it spill into the overflow but of course this brings the noise to.

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 425 XL even a very small adjustment makes a big difference even though I only have 1200lpr going through the sump, I have marked the handle and the body and move the handle 1/4 of a division at a time.

Attachments

• 20211129_171047.jpg
    20211129_171047.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 30

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set and fix your return pump speed, open the gate valve all the way and then slowly start closing it in 1/8" to 1/4" increments - waiting about 3-5 minutes after every change. When the water in the overflow reaches the edge of the emergency overflow stop.

You may have to make a minor adjustment every few months, but this is due to your return pump losing efficiency due to accumulating gunk.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set and fix your return pump speed, open the gate valve all the way and then slowly start closing it in 1/8" to 1/4" increments - waiting about 3-5 minutes after every change. When the water in the overflow reaches the edge of the emergency overflow stop.

You may have to make a minor adjustment every few months, but this is due to your return pump losing efficiency due to accumulating gunk.
Everyone does that and ends up with the same noisy result. OP is smart to change his out for a better quality valve.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.3%
Back