!!!CHASING THE SIX YEAR BLUE!!!

Discussion in 'Battlecorals' started by Battlecorals, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Battlecorals

Battlecorals Aquaculturist R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

It actually did happen to me once before. Only a few weeks after I received my original frag from Sonny at Pro Corals nearly six years ago now did I see an unmistakable tone of blue in the tips of my growing frag. At the time it wasn't really that unexpected, as I knew there was blue in this one, but Sonny's amazing pic had only shown a gleaning blue rim. Cool enough for me. I was in.

The blue looked amazing, but seemed more like fluke. Kind of a transitional anomaly I figured. Sonny himself had even assured me that if I'm seeing blue in the tips, then either something awful, or something wonderful was happening. Still not sure of the answer to that one. The magical blue I had harnessed was fleeting.

And as the blue in those tips eventually faded to the solid red we are all familiar with now, the event became a memory. It was a blue I'd covet. I had seen it with my own eyes. I knew it was in there somewhere, but in time I would forget about it entirely and the chase for the desirable tips died swiftly.

Until now.

And maybe its just another fluke. I honestly can't tell you how I've managed to pull the blue out this time. In fact, I have five other colonies of the rainbow in same system that aren't doing this right now. But it's undeniably happening to this one, and I was not going to let the opportunity to finally document it escape me this time.

So here it is. After six plus years in my system, I am seeing blue in the tips in my PC rainbow once again, and I can't get enough of it. Looks absolutely amazing to me.

So, I'm really just extremely curious now. Is this a super fluke? Am I the only one? I would love to see some other PC's with the unmistakable blue apparent. Rims or tips. I mean it's kind of an oldie now, but mine's never looked better than it does right now.

Finally deserved of its "rainbow" title, here is my colony having returned to the short lived glory of that short window six years ago.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    Tags:

2. smh254

smh254 Valuable Member Partner Member 2018

Hopefully one day mine will start doing that. Beautiful

steve&mari likes this.
  3. Reefpro

Reefpro Active Member

Adam, what lighting is this one under? are the other colonies under the same lighting?

Robink and steve&mari like this.
  4. reefeqmover

reefeqmover Member

Must be blasting it

5. dodgerblew

dodgerblew Valuable Member

Mines not doing that but I sure wish it would? Maybe it's the Deltec skimmer :)

FDAWG likes this.
  6. Battlecorals

I had to know that would be the first question! The only reason I didn't mention it is because i didn't want to turn the original post into a commercial, but It should be noted that this colony is one of my test subjects for the new Photon V2. Been under it for about a month now and i will say, it was after I hung the light that I began to see the blue. I do believe that it has something to do with whats going on. For what its worth. running all six channels at 100%

Lonny, swk and Sabellafella like this.
  7. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Fluke or not... looks awesome!

8. Joshky

Joshky Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Big Blue Reef Member

That's really awesome Adam!

9. Sabellafella

Sabellafella Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Amazing Is this under t5s?

10. Joeygodiving

Joeygodiving New Member

Funny thing, My PC rainbow always had blue tip, and the grow so fast with blue tip !!

here is some pic, iphone pictures, bad quality.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My tang decided to photobomb

[​IMG]

Josh King, G8trBait16 and Antics like this.
  11. therman

therman Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Wow, that is INTENSE blue. My very first piece, that I chased down as the Waynesreef Rainbow in Michigan before the existence of Pro Corals, had blue on the encrusting edge from the get-go. I've never seen more than a hint in the tips though, maybe because it is relegated to the margins any more because it is so resilient. Gorgeous coral though, I think I need to move a frag to the hot zone of the Reefbreeder!

tdb320reef likes this.
  12. Reefpro

Reefpro Active Member

to preface my question about lighting. I was really interested to see if it was a change in lighting that prompted the blues to come out.

13. SPS247

SPS247 Member

This was mine right before I had to move my tank 2 yrs ago. Havnt seen the blue tips since. image.jpeg

14. Battlecorals

Man that looks really good! I love when the orange/yellow is more apparent too but I haven't had great luck pulling that either lol . Your's is like my ideal specimen.

15. swk

swk Well-Known Member

You know, I remember Ron from inland posted a pic of his and it looked RIDICULOUS...apparently he kept it at super low par, like between 150-200. The colors were so dark I almost didn't recognize it.

Nice pics and specimen Adam. Looks great!

16. SPS247

SPS247 Member

Thanks! I have to admit it was total luck. I have no idea how I achieved all those colors I was in shock watching it grow. Soon after the move it turned the typical red orange but grew fast branching out.
    The only thing I can add is I had it just below the surface of the water offset about 6" from the center of a 150w hqi Phoenix bulb. The light was about 12 inch above the surface.

17. ECreefer

ECreefer Active Member

Man that is truly awesome, I have never seen that before. Seen lots of yellow/orange, but the blue is amazing.

Have you tried putting another colony under the same light and seeing if it does the same thing?

18. SPS247

SPS247 Member

I did try several frags. Once I moved the tank everything changed. When I originally added the piece the tank was three years old and very stable/mature. I'm working my way back to that level slowly. I'm working on coloring it up again.

Side note : I forgot to mention how awesome BC's PC rainbow is I would take those colors any day over what I have now. It gives me hope that it can change again.

19. spartanman22

spartanman22 Well-Known Member

Please excuse the poor photo but here was mine in my last setup. This had all the colors as advertised. Blue tips, greens, oranges, yellows, reds. It's now in my new setup and has started to take off but is just solid red now with just a hint of green in the base.

[​IMG]

Battlecorals likes this.
  20. bubbaque

bubbaque Never enough SPS R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Adam, were you able to maintain the blue?

Draft saved Draft deleted