Check my fish plan - 6 foot tank

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the planning stages for a tank upgrade. Going from a 65 gallon JBJ AIO to a 225 gallon (180 display) RedSea Reefer-S 850. It will be a mixed reef with a large NSA aquascape with plenty of caves and open swimming space

My 65 gallon has a big royal gramma, small white tailed bristletooth tang, melanrurus wrasse, pygmy pink streak wrasse, yellow basslet, and a falco hawkfish, all of whom have lived peacefully together for over a year now. I'd like to transfer all of them to the big tank when its ready.

I also want to add the following at some point:
  1. Blonde naso tang
  2. Convict tank
  3. Hippo tang (I'll probably add all 3 of the new tangs at the same time, at the end)
  4. Potters angel
  5. Gold flake angel
  6. Cuban basslet
  7. Copper band butterfly
My current plan is to setup and cycle the tank, move the current fish over when it’s ready, then slowly introduce the rest. The three additional tangs I’m planning on adding last and all together.

Im new to the big tanks…so any advice, thoughts, suggestions, etc y’all have regarding my fish plan is welcome. Really want this to be a success

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see any big issues with that list. I'd probably add the copper band first so it can get comfortable before the tank gets busy. Naso tangs can get incredibly large. I wouldn't be comfortable with one in a 6' tank long term but it would take a while to outgrow if you got it small.

Can you still find potters angels? I haven't had one in years but I thought it was a hawaiian fish?

Edit: as for my opinion, if I had a tank that size, it would have a dozen wrasses and 30-40 anthias. 50 small fish look way cooler than 8-10 big fish in my opinion. Nice list overall though, I like the convict tangs alot.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks good to me! The only thing it's missing is one of these:

1653349260663.png

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see any big issues with that list. I'd probably add the copper band first so it can get comfortable before the tank gets busy. Naso tangs can get incredibly large. I wouldn't be comfortable with one in a 6' tank long term but it would take a while to outgrow if you got it small.

Can you still find potters angels? I haven't had one in years but I thought it was a hawaiian fish?
Thanks for the advice on the Copperband! I’ll keep that in kind

And yes, I’d plan on getting as small a naso as I can to be sure it can comfortably live in that tank for a while.

Regarding the Potter’s, you may be right. I think I had it in my head that Biota was breeding them but I appear to be wrong about that. Any suggestions for an alternative if they aren’t available anymore? Just love the look of the Potters

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the planning stages for a tank upgrade. Going from a 65 gallon JBJ AIO to a 225 gallon (180 display) RedSea Reefer-S 850. It will be a mixed reef with a large NSA aquascape with plenty of caves and open swimming space

My 65 gallon has a big royal gramma, small white tailed bristletooth tang, melanrurus wrasse, pygmy pink streak wrasse, yellow basslet, and a falco hawkfish, all of whom have lived peacefully together for over a year now. I'd like to transfer all of them to the big tank when its ready.

1. Blonde naso tang
  2. Convict tank
  3. Hippo tang (I'll probably add all 3 of the new tangs at the same time, at the end)
  4. Potters angel
  5. Gold flake angel
  6. Cuban basslet
  7. Copper band butterfly
My current plan is to setup and cycle the tank, move the current fish over when it’s ready, then slowly introduce the rest. The three additional tangs I’m planning on adding last and all together.

Im new to the big tanks…so any advice, thoughts, suggestions, etc y’all have regarding my fish plan is welcome. Really want this to be a success
Id recommend also getting a large in-tank qt box to put bullies in time out. Particularly with the Naso/Conv/Hippo there’s likely gonna be some aggression until the hierarchy is established.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice on the Copperband! I’ll keep that in kind

And yes, I’d plan on getting as small a naso as I can to be sure it can comfortably live in that tank for a while.

Regarding the Potter’s, you may be right. I think I had it in my head that Biota was breeding them but I appear to be wrong about that. Any suggestions for an alternative if they aren’t available anymore? Just love the look of the Potters

Check out some of the Genicanthus species. More reef safe than the centropyge species supposedly (never kept one personally)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
stocking list satisfactory with no " Evil" fish on the list

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. Blonde naso tang
  2. Convict tank
  4. Potters angel
  5. Gold flake angel
  6. Cuban basslet
  7. Copper band butterfly

Solid list there. All should be fine. The Naso can get a bit big for a standard 6 foot 180 gallon once it reaches full maturity (especially with the streamers) but should still do well.

Lots of rock. Lots of caves. Lots of flow and skimming.

Good luck.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%

Back