buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you need GFO? Don’t believe everything you read online.

Chrysophytes do NOT use silica. Lowering phosphates with GFO will only make matters worse.

Keep nutrients detectable and slightly elevated. Dose sodium silica to encourage diatoms. Increase herbivores. If chrysophytes are really long, use a tooth brush or algae scraper to mow it down.
My nitrates are currently at 7ppm after dosing (dropped to 1ppm before I started dosing) and my phosphates are at 0.035ppm (spiked to 0.45ppm for a day after I siphoned 1/3 my sand).

So black out and keep nutrients at these levels will defeat them?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are currently at 7ppm after dosing (dropped to 1ppm before I started dosing) and my phosphates are at 0.035ppm (spiked to 0.45ppm for a day after I siphoned 1/3 my sand).

So black out and keep nutrients at these levels will defeat them?
So far you’re doing good with the nutrients. Do you have a picture of the tank? Let’s see how bad it is, and if it warrants a blackout.

Personally, I’d dose silica and not do a black out. But if the chrysophytes are really bad, then you might need to do one.

Just don’t use GFO. It will remove phosphates and silic; you need both right now.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far you’re doing good with the nutrients. Do you have a picture of the tank? Let’s see how bad it is, and if it warrants a blackout.

Personally, I’d dose silica and not do a black out. But if the chrysophytes are really bad, then you might need to do one.

Just don’t use GFO. It will remove phosphates and silic; you need both right now.

I’d say it’s moderate. About the same spacing and sizes are scattered throughout the sandbed too.
IMG_3664.jpeg

IMG_3654.jpeg

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say it’s moderate. About the same spacing and sizes are scattered throughout the sandbed too.
IMG_3664.jpeg

IMG_3654.jpeg
If it was me, I’d increase herbivores (snails, foxface fish, urchins) and start dosing 1-2ppm sodium silica once a week.

If that doesn’t work after a few weeks/months, then I’d try API Algae Fix.

Good luck. I used to have the same issue in my tank (chruysophytes). I eventually beat it, and now I don’t have anything. I never needed to use Algae Fix or black outs. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back