Clown isn't eating

beyer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Ocellaris Clown hasn't eaten in a few days and seems to spend most of his time up at the top corner of the tank near the heater. This is my first fish so I can't identify if he is breathing fast either.

Here is a video I took:

2 days ago when I first noticed this my parameters were:
Ammonia 0
Nitrate <5
Salinity 1.025
Temp. 78°

I feed garlic veggie flakes and sometimes mysis shrimp. Does anyone think there is a problem from the video?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is breathing a little fast, and he looks pretty thin. Was he eating much before he stopped? I would step-up the offerings of frozen or fresh seafoods, and soak in vita-chem.

He could have internal parasites, have you seen any white-stringy poo?

Another possibility is gill flukes. Maybe a freshwater dip would help, and you could check for worms that way. If he has flukes they will turn white and start falling off (think snow-globe) around the 3 minute mark.

Freshwater Dip

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Freshwater-Dip.248898/

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. He's very thin and breathing quickly. The freshwater dip is a good plan, but I'd lean more towards intestinal worms.... that doesn't mean that he doesn't have both flukes and intestinal worms.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a QT you could throw together?

Here's the issue: if it's intestinal worms you should feed metroplex bound to food with focus. This is the best course of action, if the animal is eating, and can be done in a reef setting without issue. If he won't eat the medicated food, then you'll have to get together a small hospital tank and medicate the water.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a QT you could throw together?

Here's the issue: if it's intestinal worms you should feed metroplex bound to food with focus. This is the best course of action, if the animal is eating, and can be done in a reef setting without issue. If he won't eat the medicated food, then you'll have to get together a small hospital tank and medicate the water.

yes and hope that enough of it gets to his guts to help him. Keep trying to get him to eat during this time. Once/If he does, then medicate the food.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, here's another idea you could try: do the fw dip and then just go ahead and dose prazi-pro (regardless of flukes). It's reef safe and effective against some internal worms, although it might not completely get rid of them. But, it might help enough to get the fish interested in eating again...then you can feed the metroplex/focus food without issue.

This might eliminate the need for a QT, although I'd strongly suggest thinking about investing in a simple QT system for emergencies if you don't already have one [emoji4]

Last edited:
OP
OP
beyer

beyer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is breathing a little fast, and he looks pretty thin. Was he eating much before he stopped? I would step-up the offerings of frozen or fresh seafoods, and soak in vita-chem.

He could have internal parasites, have you seen any white-stringy poo?

Another possibility is gill flukes. Maybe a freshwater dip would help, and you could check for worms that way. If he has flukes they will turn white and start falling off (think snow-globe) around the 3 minute mark.

Freshwater Dip

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Freshwater-Dip.248898/

He hasn't shown signs of stringy poo and he was eating fine before this. I have a QT I'll probably throw him in sometime tomorrow then. I could do the freshwater dip tonight though. I don't have any medication on hand and I live in a place where the nearest fish store is 2 hours away and even that's a Petco. I'll get those products probably on amazon and have them one day shipped. I'm planning on getting another clown soon so do you suggest any more products I definitely should have on hand being as I don't have the luxury of a LFS?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He hasn't shown signs of stringy poo and he was eating fine before this. I have a QT I'll probably throw him in sometime tomorrow then. I could do the freshwater dip tonight though. I don't have any medication on hand and I live in a place where the nearest fish store is 2 hours away and even that's a Petco. I'll get those products probably on amazon and have them one day shipped. I'm planning on getting another clown soon so do you suggest any more products I definitely should have on hand being as I don't have the luxury of a LFS?

Here is a good write-up for that:
Medications to keep on hand

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Medications-to-keep-on-hand.213574/

For clowns, definitely the metroplex, maybe some copper w/test kit (coppersafe or cupramine both work well, coppersafe is preferred by most though), acriflavine (Ruby's reef rally, helps when treating brook, velvet, and infections), focus for binding medicines to food, and kanaplex/furan-2 for antibiotics. PraziPro for flukes/external parasites.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that CopperSafe, the "triple-threat" antibiotics Furan-2, Kanaplex and Metroplex, Ruby Reef Rally (Acrivlavine), Seachem Focus, and API's "General Cure", which is Metronidazole and Praziquantel in combination have covered most of what I've run up against to date. (Having said that, I'm sure I'll run into something new very soon, which none of those things will help with!)

Definitely read the article Ngoodermuth posted for a complete listing!

~Bruce

OP
OP
beyer

beyer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a good write-up for that:
Medications to keep on hand

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Medications-to-keep-on-hand.213574/

For clowns, definitely the metroplex, maybe some copper (coppersafe or cupramine work well), acriflavine (Ruby's reef rally, helps when treating brook, velvet, and infections), focus for binding medicines to food, and kanaplex/furan-2 for antibiotics. PraziPro for flukes/external parasites.

yes and hope that enough of it gets to his guts to help him. Keep trying to get him to eat during this time. Once/If he does, then medicate the food.

I find that CopperSafe, the "triple-threat" antibiotics Furan-2, Kanaplex and Metroplex, Ruby Reef Rally (Acrivlavine), Seachem Focus, and API's "General Cure", which is Metronidazole and Praziquantel in combination have covered most of what I've run up against to date. (Having said that, I'm sure I'll run into something new very soon, which none of those things will help with!)

Definitely read the article Ngoodermuth posted for a complete listing!

~Bruce

Great! Thanks for all the help! I'll treat him asap and hopefully he starts feeling better and eating more.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! Thanks for all the help! I'll treat him asap and hopefully he starts feeling better and eating more.

You're welcome, I'm hoping for the best. Keep us updated!

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco is not going to have Metroplex, kanaplex, furan 2, Prezipro, or focus to bind the food. If he is not eating now. The time it will take to get those kinds of meds. Sorry bud, but I would prepare for the worse for now. He is very emaciated and breathing heavy. I would say prepare yourself and have those all on hand. I would even say look into getting Medic by Polyp Lab. These will cover you from any kind of nasties for the future.
If you are looking to have 2 clowns. Pairing them right off the start is the best way to start them off in a tank as well.
Crossing my fingers for you. I know first hand and from other very experienced LFS owners that have said"once they stop eating. It is pretty much over with for them. There is really not much you can do." Yes bombing a qt with meds hoping enough gets into their system from them drinking it. The chances are very slim. Especially if not done right away. Best of luck to you beyer

Crswogger3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would raise the water temp to 82 degrees Fahrenheit to boost metabolism and do a freshwater dip just in case it is flukes

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would raise the water temp to 82 degrees Fahrenheit to boost metabolism

Raising water temp is never a good idea when dealing with a potentially sick fish. For a couple of reasons:
  1. Higher water temp = decreased available oxygen in the water. You actually want to decrease it (if possible) so there is more O2 in the water. Fish with parasites/worms inside their gills need all the oxygen they can get.
  2. Boosting metabolism increases damage done to the fish from its immune response; you want to lower the temp (if possible) to reduce the metabolic demands on the fish.
This explains in more detail: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/alprazos-salvage-protocol.213599/

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back