Clown, lovers question.

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coma is in the right place, LOL.

OK, my larger clown in my main display tank appears to be gravid, or whatever the correct term is. I was about to buy a pair of clowns for my frag tank and noticed this.

Here are the questions:
1 > Should I net them (carefully, clowns are about as easy as it gets) and put the pair in my frag tank where the fry will have a chance? Or would this stress be too much?
2 > If so, do I need to put something in the frag tank with them for egg placement?
3 > If so, what else do I need to do the help this event (if it is one) go well?

EDIT: after some reading this may be a hand full to pull off.

Advice and comments welcome.

Last edited:

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have "rots" cultured and ready to feed the fry?
If not, do you have the desire to raise them?

If you do want to go through the work of raising the fry, I would do it completely separate from your frag system;
Fry need to be fed a TON of food, and the water conditions will be suspect -- not ideal for a fry system.
If you have the mated pair of clowns in your frag system, they will move your frags around -- as they see fit, not matter if it kills the frags or not.

Should note -- if your clowns have never laid eggs before, don't expect this patch (( or the next one )) to make it. The first couple of times the eggs won't get fertilized correctly and they will most likely eat them.

OP
OP
fragmatic

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, then I'll let them go through the motions and wait for another batch or two. In the meantime I can decide if I want to raise them and then educate myself and be ready if I do. Thank You.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.2%
Back